*PN-G vs. Dayton/8-2 PN-G Wins/Comments*

Harrington, Tribe rolls over Broncos

By Cody Pastorella

The Port Arthur News

PORT NECHES — Senior pitcher Eric Harrington blew past Dayton on Tuesday night, tossing a complete game, two hitter and striking out 12 in Port Neches-Groves' 8-2 win over the Broncos.

With the win, PN-G improves to 14-4 overall and 6-1 in District 22-4A. At 6-1, the Indians are tied for first place with Little Cypress-Mauriceville who hammered the Vidor Pirates 13-1 on Tuesday night.

The Pirates have dropped two in a row, which puts them in third place at 5-2 in league play.

The Tribe plays Ozen (4-3) in Beaumont on Friday for their next game.

Tuesday's game with Dayton was never really in question. PN-G scored two runs in the first after Harrington started the bottom half of the inning with a lead-off triple.

Harrington came in on a fielder's choice off the bat of Blake Reyenga. Dalton Varnado, running for catcher Jon Carnihan who singled, also scored in the first when Mitch Todd drove him in on a single.

The Indians tallied three more runs in the third inning on one hit, two walks and two errors.

That inning gave the Tribe more than enough support for Harrington, who did not give up a hit until the fourth inning when the Broncos managed two runs off the dominate starter.

The hit was just an infield job that Colter Grote beat out. On that hit, Steven Thompson, who was hit-by-a-pitch earlier in the inning, moved to third base.

First baseman Mo Herrera brought Thompson in on a fielder's choice and then an error brought in Colter for Dayton's second run.

Only Thompson's score was ruled an earned run, giving Dayton just one earned for the night.

Harrington, who went 2-for-4 at the plate, only allowed one more hit in the game when Cameron Crapo smashed a ball up the middle in the fifth inning.

The right-hander sat the Broncos down in order in the final two innings. With the win, Harrington moves to 3-0 on the season.

"I just had my stuff working tonight," Harrington said. "When I've got my stuff, I feel like I can't be beat. I think that's how every pitcher feels. They really came out swinging but I was able to work my pitches like I wanted to and everything worked out."

PN-G head coach Jay Stone said Tuesday's outing was just a typical night for Harrington. "I thought he was excellent tonight but that's what he does for us every time out," Stone said. "He's a very consistent pitcher and he's been consistent all year.

That Harrington kid doesn't have an off button....does he ?  ;)

No sir, It would seem that he doesnt. I was at that game last night and Harrington's stuff was as good as its been all season. His 2-seam fastball and breaking ball were absolutely the best Ive see all year. A hit batsmen, an infield single and an error gave Dayton their runs for the night.

PNG still needs to hit a little more than what they have been. And the defense could be a little tighter. The kid who started on the mound for Dayton threw well early. The defense behind him killed him early. No communication on the Harrington triple in the OF, Throwing error on Todd's single in the 1st that gave in second too. But the kids stuff wasnt all that bad. Had a little lack of confidence in his fastball, had to use his offspead pitches to get ahead which ended up killing him.

Good game though.

Daytons athletic director is more concerned with the proceeds at a friday night draw in football than any other sport. All other sports support football in his philosophy. Therefore baseball will never be up to par until he's gone.

I love baseball but when was the last time you saw 8000 or more people at a baseball game? The fact is that the community as a whole supports football more----I may not like it but that is a fact. As far as this years Dayton baseball goes we have had a significant loss of talent from last season--due to 8 starters graduating, some others deciding not to play, and our top pitcher out for the season before it started. Dayton will be very competitive next season--Crapo, Kolarik, and Smesny will make for a very good rotation.

I know from experience that the reason for low attendance at high school baseball games is because alot of us have a kid or kids involved in youth baseball which is going on at the same time as high school baseball.  Therefor, we can't make it to all of the HS games, but I wish I could.  I imagine there are alot of people out there in the same boat as me. Of course you'll never get 8,000 to a HS baseball game, but I think you could get around 1,000 if it didn't conflict with the youth baseball season.  My two cents

I know from experience that the reason for low attendance at high school baseball games is because a lot of us have a kid or kids involved in youth baseball which is going on at the same time as high school baseball.  Therefor, we can't make it to all of the HS games, but I wish I could.  I imagine there are a lot of people out there in the same boat as me. Of course you'll never get 8,000 to a HS baseball game, but I think you could get around 1,000 if it didn't conflict with the youth baseball season.  My two cents

Scalp not trying to be negative, I think you have a good point but ,you will never have 1000 people at a HS baseball game in this area maybe 500.  Reasons are

1. you don't have parents of Cheerleaders, Band members, Dance Team, Twirlers, in the stands like football.

2. you only have 15 at max on a Varsity baseball team while in football you usually have up to 30 (which means more moms, dads, granpa's, grandma's , and so on.

3. you have track, softball, golf, soccer, and Tennis also going on at the same time. football only has volleyball and the varsity girls play early so they can go to the football game

Overall football brings your community closer together because it involves more Students from the community then any other sports. That is why it gets more money.  But Scalp I Do think it would be awsome to see a Ned and PNG baseball game with the same amount of fans that are at the football games (with the band!) that would be awsome

I know from experience that the reason for low attendance at high school baseball games is because a lot of us have a kid or kids involved in youth baseball which is going on at the same time as high school baseball.  Therefor, we can't make it to all of the HS games, but I wish I could.  I imagine there are a lot of people out there in the same boat as me. Of course you'll never get 8,000 to a HS baseball game, but I think you could get around 1,000 if it didn't conflict with the youth baseball season.  My two cents

Scalp not trying to be negative, I think you have a good point but ,you will never have 1000 people at a HS baseball game in this area maybe 500.  Reasons are

1. you don't have parents of Cheerleaders, Band members, Dance Team, Twirlers, in the stands like football.

2. you only have 15 at max on a Varsity baseball team while in football you usually have up to 30 (which means more moms, dads, granpa's, grandma's , and so on.

3. you have track, softball, golf, soccer, and Tennis also going on at the same time. football only has volleyball and the varsity girls play early so they can go to the football game

Overall football brings your community closer together because it involves more Students from the community then any other sports. That is why it gets more money.  But Scalp I Do think it would be awsome to see a Ned and PNG baseball game with the same amount of fans that are at the football games (with the band!) that would be awsome

Now that I agree with. Football is still king in Texas....but you make some very valid points as far attendance figures go.

Nice post.

Now that I agree with. Football is still king in Texas....but you make some very valid points as far attendance figures go.

Nice post.

man there was about 2000 at the nederland png game in the 1st round. there wasnt a place to sit in the stands and there was about 4 rows deep of ppl standing and also ppl standing along the fence. come playoff time  there will be alot of ppl because all 3 of our teams will be going deep  :) :) :)  who agrees

Guest gladiator2

Pirate73,

Can you say 3 in a row and that is not a good thing!! I see a lot of the talking has stopped but the losses will not!! I will say this ya'll have a great coach over there that is very good and committed.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder