Thoughts On Vidor This Year? Here's their Preview

The 2006 Vidor Pirates may surprise some people this year, as they look to be the “Dark Horse†in the new 22-4a district. Head Coach Jeff Matthews is optimistic about the up and coming season, but there is no doubt that the Pirates will have to play some of the best football Vidor has ever seen in order to claim one of the three playoff spots in the new district.

Last year, Vidor went 4-4, and 1-3 in district 20-4a. The good news for the Pirates is that they were in most of their district games last year, losing only one by a margin of more than 7 points. In 2005, the Pirates scored just over 26 points a game, while giving up just over 19 on average. In district however that Offensive production slacked off. They were only able to score just under 19 points a game, while allowing their opponent to put up over 24 points per contest on their defense. Here are all the Vidor scores from 2005

Vidor 29 Gulf Shores 0

Barbers Hull 42 Vidor 19

Vidor 58 Scarborough 12

Vidor 28 New Caney 3

Ozen 34 Vidor 27

Vidor 17 Lumberton 7

Central 35 Vidor 14

PNG 21 Vidor 17

This year looks like it could be a good one. The Pirates return 9 starters, 4 on defense and 5 on offense. Vidor has one of the top offensive linemen in the nation in University of Texas commit, Jerrod Gooch. Running behind Gooch will be senior tailback/receiver Brad Croak. In 2005, Croak rushed for 399 yards and 7 tds, while catching 26 passes for 374 yards and 4 touchdowns. The Pirates must find a new Quarterback after the graduation of last year’s QB Andy Haeggquist, who was also the team’s leading rusher. Vidor’s fate in 2006 will likely depend on how well the new quarterback performs. The Vidor offensive line should be very good next year, which should make the transition process for the new QB much easier.

On the defensive side of the ball, look for three year free safety starter Derek Kilmer to make a big impact as he will move to cornerback. Expect Brett Harris to also make a big contribution on defense as the free safety. The Vidor defensive line should also be very good this year, and it could be the key to how well the Pirates do defensively.

In 2006, Vidor will play a tough schedule. September 8, the Pirates kick off their season at St. Pius, and on September 29 they play their 22-4a district opener against a very good Nederland team. Here is the rest of the 2006 Vidor Pirates Schedule.

Aug. 19 1st Scrimmage

Aug. 25 West Orange-Stark (Scrimmage)

Aug. 31 3rd Scrimmage

Sep. 8 @ St. Pius 7:30

Sep. 15 Houston Jones 7:30

Sep. 22 @ Livingston 7:30

Sep. 29 Nederland* 7:30

Oct. 6 @ Lumberton* 7:30

Oct. 13 Dayton* 7:30

Oct. 20 Central* 7:30

Oct. 27 @ PN-G* 7:30

Nov. 3 Ozen* 7:30

Nov. 10 @ LC-M* 7:30

They are still Vidor. Much like Lumberton, until they can start beating people when it counts, I don't think anyone will give them much of a chance (not including their fans) at a playoff spot. Last year was the year that I heard them pointing to on all bulletin boards. They began the year with 20 returning starters with a pretty good quarterback returning, Andy Haeggquist. They were looking to make a strong run for the playoffs and maybe a championship. They still couldn't beat anyone in district other than Lumberton.

If they were ever going to make a challenge, that was the year. They are always scrappy, they play hard and will beat some people in district with maybe an upset or two. I can see them in the hunt but still can't see them taking a playoff spot. I think they would make a good darkhorse candidate. If they could pull off a couple of upsets, who knows.

Ozen always seems to look past them. They almost snuck up an beat them last year. Ned always is ready to play them to disprove the "rival" thing they keep trying to start. PNG might lose to them but I doubt it.

Ozen always seems to look past them. They almost snuck up an beat them last year. Ned always is ready to play them to disprove the "rival" thing they keep trying to start. PNG might lose to them but I doubt it.

I think that most people believe the playoff teams will come from PN-G, Nederland, Ozen, Central and Dayton. Assuming that those are the five teams to beat, for Vidor to compete for a playoff spot, they will have to beat three of those teams to make a serious run. They play all five of those teams in a six week stretch including Dayton/PN-G/Central/Ozen back to back. That is a tall order for any team. I am not counting Vidor out but that sure is a big hill to climb for a team that is trying to establish itself as a contender.

hey tvc184

I am a Vidor fan..And I totally agree with you..they are a scrappy team..But almost everything has to go Vidor's way when they play a team like Ozen or Nederland..I would love to sit up here like other people form other town's do and tell you that there team will win it all ,But I know better.But I also believe that those teams that play Vidor better bring it every game and every down.Because the pirates wont just rollover..They are hungry and they play hard every game.So yes they are outmatched 70%of the time but that dont mean they stop playing..they just dont have the programs that these other schools do right now.Hopefully it is coming!!

hey tvc184

I am a Vidor fan..And I totally agree with you..they are a scrappy team..But almost everything has to go Vidor's way when they play a team like Ozen or Nederland..I would love to sit up here like other people form other town's do and tell you that there team will win it all ' date='But I know better.But I also believe that those teams that play Vidor better bring it every game and every down.Because the pirates wont just rollover..They are hungry and they play hard every game.So yes they are outmatched 70%of the time but that dont mean they stop playing..they just dont have the programs that these other schools do right now.Hopefully it is coming!![/quote']

Although the score does not show it, having watched BH play them for a few years now, I am always shocked that the score it was it is. It always seems like the game was a harder fought game than the score indicates.

When you look at other recent Pirate scores against the 4-A schools they play, it appears to me they are either better than they are given credit for, or the other teams are over-rated. I personally think it is the latter of the two.

Having said all that, I think they have a shot at the playoffs. There are going to be two decent teams sitting at home this year, all there is too it.

A local Vidor paper interviewed Coach Matthews and he said they are more geared toward the run this year. He also said he now has a front line that they can do it with. Gooch has pledged to Texas and there is another kid that is suppose to be real good..He also said that bringing in a new D-coordinator named Eskue is going to help them out alot.

A local Vidor paper interviewed Coach Matthews and he said they are more geared toward the run this year. He also said he now has a front line that they can do it with. Gooch has pledged to Texas and there is another kid that is suppose to be real good..He also said that bringing in a new D-coordinator named Eskue is going to help them out alot.

Well, good luck!

Well they got Eskue as the D-Coordinator.

I might be mistaken but I believe he come from Kelly and he has been around here awhile..Alot of people has said really good things about him..

The D-line and the secondary are suppose to be the strong points. We will see I guess.........

Oh NO! Not only when they played WOS.. Ol' Coop 's been spotted a few times when the Pirates were playing and It wasn't WOS on the other side either.. Don't be shy tell them Coop..Alot of people dont like Vidor but they will still like YOU!! (maybe) ::13

Oh NO! Not only when they played WOS.. Ol' Coop 's been spotted a few times when the Pirates were playing and It wasn't WOS on the other side either.. Don't be shy tell them Coop..Alot of people dont like Vidor but they will still like YOU!! (maybe) ::13

Then it must have been a WOS bye week :lol:

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder