*LC-M vs. Central/21-0 LC-M Wins/Comments*

Bears mash Central, 21-0

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — Little Cypress-Mauriceville has been scoring runs in bunches for most of the season.

The Central Jaguars, well, they found that out first-hand at Don Gibbens Field Tuesday night as the defending District 22-4A champion Bears slammed their way to a 21-0 win in four innings in the 22-4A opener for both squads.

The Bears crushed four home runs as Chad Richard, Tim Barry and Wade Estes all cranked out three-run bombs while Ben Jones had a solo blast.

All told, the Bears (13-2, 1-0) cranked out 14 hits and took advantage of nine walks and five hit batters by the Central (0-1 in district) pitching trio of Kenny Allison, Michael Wilkson and Josh Lindsay.

LC-M coach Steve Griffith utilized a pitcher per inning as Dallas Brown got the start and he was followed by Taylor Thompson, Shane Waddell and Danny Briseno. They teamed up to allow just one hit, a triple by Keenan Allison in the fourth inning, while striking out seven and walking two.

The Bears struck for eight runs on eight hits in the first frame.

Johnson’s three-run blast over the right centerfield wall made it 4-0 and Jones followed with a solo shot over the leftfield fence to make it 5-0. Barry capped the frame with a three-run dinger over the leftfield wall after singling way back to start the inning. Jon Gunn and Phillip Richard also had singles in the inning.

The Bears tacked on three runs in the second. Richard singled and Johnson and Jones followed with walks. Brown made it 11-0 when he laced a two-out, two-run single to right and Jones also scored on an error after a bad throw to third.

LC-M stormed to eight more runs in the third as the Jaguar pitching went through a tough spot. Jones made it 12-0 with a single to right then Waddell drove in a run with a bases-loaded walk and Phillip Richard got hit by a pitch to force another run in. Joseph Viator continued the onslaught by ripping a Wilkson offering for a two-run single to deep right to make it 16-0. Estes put the finishing touches with his three-run “jackâ€.

The Bears scored two more runs in the bottom of the fourth as the bases got loaded and Lindsay ended up hitting both Viator and Estes with pitches to bring those runs in. That’s when the Central coaching staff felt enough was enough and they waved the white flag to have the game called.

Bears with two hits included Barry, Johnson, Jones and Stefan Leger.

The Bears will face District 22-4A rival Port Neches-Groves in Port Neches Friday night. PN-G took down Beaumont Ozen 10-0 on Tuesday.

Kenny Allison didn't pitch badly...the Bears just got hits off of him.  Central's second pitcher started off throwing high, but then started to get his rythym going, however, the Bears also hit off of him.  Central's third pitcher struggled in the last inning and had struck at least two batters before Central's coach decided that it was time to end a long night for the Jaguars.  Besides the score, I beleive that he felt his pitcher didn't have enough control of his pitches to keep from hitting batters, and as a result, wanted to avoid an incident.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

i heard that central just walked off the field after the fourth. i know griff wasnt trying to run up the score on anyone, he has more class than that.  but leaving the field that is terrible.

Isn't there a ten run rule after 4 innings played?  ;)

no they left at the beginning of the bottom half of the 4th...not in the 5th.  they did not even take their at bat in the top of the 5th

actually, they played a good part of the bottom of the 4th...LCM had about 6 or 7 batters come up, of which 2 were hit by the pitch

i heard that central just walked off the field after the fourth. i know griff wasnt trying to run up the score on anyone, he has more class than that.  but leaving the field that is terrible.

Central threw in the towel with bases loaded, one out, in the bottom of the fourth.  LCM had entered every available player on the lineup card.  Back to back pinch hitters had big hits.  One off of the top of the centerfield wall, followed by a three run homer.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder