next WO-S baseball coach - where's Shugart?

Guest roberthollister

Guest roberthollister

Any word yet on possible candidates for head baseball coach at WO-S? Where is Mike Shugart?  Why was Rivers re-assigned and what happened?

Guest Chaingang Defense

PERSONAL ISSUES ON WHAT HAPPENED, DOUBT FOLKS WILL DISCUSS IT.

NAMES I HEAR AROUND SCHOOL IS MICHAEL THOMPSON POSSIBILY.

I hope Michael does come and get this job, at least whoever gets the job next will bring the Certa/Bearden Tourney back.  Whoever hired the guy that just got fired needs needs to re-examin the hiring process.  What has happened to WOS athletics? 2007 Baseball TWO WINS!! 2007 Girls Volleyball ZERO WINS!!  2007/2008 Girls basketball ZERO WINS!!  2007 Girls and Boys Soccer combined for a total of FOUR WINS!! Someone told me the other day that the girls track team doesn't even have enough girls out for a relay team!!  For years I didn't think that coaching really mattered much at WOS, but the last 365 has proved me wrong!  Losing McCarter, Orebo, Foreman, and Westbrook hurt more than I thought it would!! 

I hope Michael does come and get this job, at least whoever gets the job next will bring the Certa/Bearden Tourney back.  Whoever hired the guy that just got fired needs needs to re-examin the hiring process.  What has happened to WOS athletics? 2007 Baseball TWO WINS!! 2007 Girls Volleyball ZERO WINS!!  2007/2008 Girls basketball ZERO WINS!!  2007 Girls and Boys Soccer combined for a total of FOUR WINS!! Someone told me the other day that the girls track team doesn't even have enough girls out for a relay team!!  For years I didn't think that coaching really mattered much at WOS, but the last 365 has proved me wrong!  Losing McCarter, Orebo, Foreman, and Westbrook hurt more than I thought it would!! 

Did you ever think for a minute that maybe it isn't the coaches it's the kids...

Did you ever think for a minute that maybe it isn't the coaches it's the kids...

Absolutely not!!  Yes, your talent matters, but talent or not a good coach will figure out a way to may the kids strengths work for the team.  They may not be state champs, but there is no reason that even a team with mediocre talent can't at least have a winning season with the right coach.  I don't think we give enough credit to good coaches until they're not there.

Ozen's Fastest, don't get me wrong, I know the talent has dropped in some of those sports especially girls basketball.  You mean to tell me that a team can go to 4 out of 5 regional tourny's and then not win ONE game.  The only player that was back was ran off.  Im sorry, but that is mostly coaching!!

Absolutely not!!  Yes, your talent matters, but talent or not a good coach will figure out a way to may the kids strengths work for the team.  They may not be state champs, but there is no reason that even a team with mediocre talent can't at least have a winning season with the right coach.  I don't think we give enough credit to good coaches until they're not there.

Could be the best post to be put on this board in a long time!

I have found it odd that over the past year or so the Mustang Sports has hit a "Brick Wall" except for football.  I don't really think that it is possible that all the sudden WOS has ran out of talent.  Especially since their football program has done so well.  Sounds like their is not much MOTIVATION in most of the other sports!! 

I have found it odd that over the past year or so the Mustang Sports has hit a "Brick Wall" except for football.  I don't really think that it is possible that all the sudden WOS has ran out of talent.  Especially since their football program has done so well.  Sounds like their is not much MOTIVATION in most of the other sports!! 

Very well put, WOS is a football school.

Ozen's Fastest, don't get me wrong, I know the talent has dropped in some of those sports especially girls basketball.  You mean to tell me that a team can go to 4 out of 5 regional tourny's and then not win ONE game.  The only player that was back was ran off.  Im sorry, but that is mostly coaching!!

When I say say maybe it's the kids, Im not referring to weather or not they have talent, it's weather or not the kids are mentally motivated and discipline enough to accept change. Perfect example girls basketball, you bring over an entire 8th grade team and almost immediatley play themon varsity, well thats a transitional phase already, not to mention you have new coach and new system, new rules, new personality. The kids have to accept it and by into the new program. This is the same at all levels, you cant always blame coaching, it happens in the NFL where the quote unquote best coaches in the land are hired. The Dolphins are full of talent and good coaches but nearly went without a win all season. So it happens and then someone mentioned track and field, well the girls team hasnt really been loaded since dropping down to 3A anyway, they lost 5-6 Sr. from last years squad and honestly there arent many big track squads anywhere b/c who wants to run track it's a tough sport. The boys squad only has maybe 15 kids and there still successful....

That exactly it.

These athletes are thinking to them selfs why play a sport where we wont win at, when i can be a part of one of the best football programs in the state.

Its just like at little cypress. Why be a part of a loosing football team when you can be on one of the best baseball teams in the state. Some schools are single sport schools. Administration needs to figure out some way to get these kids involved in more then one sport. There is plenty of talent at both these where they can exceed in both sports.

Ozensfastest when you say kids being motivated, you are rite on the money.  It is the COACHES job to get these kids MOTIVATED!!  Some coaches can and some can't.  I don't care how many young kids you have, there is NO WAY that a team that has had that much success CANT WIN ONE GAME!!  Im sorry but that is in part COACHING.  You are correct on the overall track statement IMO.  Kids these days really don't have the same desire to run or do anything difficult for that matter.  SCRAP, I definately agree the WOS Baseball program needs young blood that has also been in the system.  Michael Thompson??

AWESOME POST... YOU HAD TO SEE SOMETHING WAS WRONG WHEN THE BEARDEN TOURNEY WAS CANCELLED, THAT WAS A BIG DEAL AT WOS.

ALSO, I AGREE WITH THE KIDS NOT HAVING MOTIVATION. YOU HAVE TO WANT TO GET BETTER,YOU HAVE TO WANT TO WIN BUT YOU ALSO HAVE TO BE WILLING TO GET BETTER ON YOUR OWN NOT JUST AT PRACTICE. THERE ARE A FEW BASEBALL SCHOOLS HERE IN ORANGE THAT ARE NORMALLY FULL,GRANTED THEY ARE A BIT PRICEY BUT FROM WHAT I HEAR THEY ARE AWESOME! THESE SCHOOLS ARE FULL OF LCM AND BC PLAYERS,GETTING BETTER ON THEIR OWN!!!!

I REMEMBER SEEING JAY CANIZARO ON WEEKENDS AND AFTER PRACTICE AT MUSTANG STADIUM TAKING GROUND BALL AFTER GROUND BALL,NOT JUST QUANTITY BUT QUALITY AND YOU SEE WHERE THAT GOT HIM....YOU HAVE TO HAVE A DESIRE TO GET BETTER AND SUCCEED AND MAKE THINGS HAPPEN FOR YOURSELF AS A PLAYER. I THINK WHOEVER GETS THIS JOB NEEDS TO START FROM THE GROUND UP REVAMPING EVERYTHING AND GET A BETTER ATTITUDE AMONGST THE PLAYERS AND GET THAT PROGRAM BACK TO WHERE IT USE TO BE.

Guest roberthollister

WO-S just doesn't have the numbers anymore.  Baseball went into a steady decline after the 1995 season - McDonald, Shugart, Sellars, Bates, Thompson.....could go on and on.  Oh, and, um....John Patterson.  Except for the choke job against Brenham, those 95' Mustangs were fun to watch.  Starting in 1996, when Patterson pitched about every game, you could just sense that morale was down.  I'd hate to see Michael Thompson get stuck in a dead-end job without any opportunity to win. Joe Torre couldn't win at WO-S.  That's just the way it is.  Sooner or later, if LC-M loses Temple Inland as its tax base, then you're going to see two school districts consolidate.  It's coming, mark my words.....

WO-S just doesn't have the numbers anymore.  Baseball went into a steady decline after the 1995 season - McDonald, Shugart, Sellars, Bates, Thompson.....could go on and on.  Oh, and, um....John Patterson.  Except for the choke job against Brenham, those 95' Mustangs were fun to watch.  Starting in 1996, when Patterson pitched about every game, you could just sense that morale was down.  I'd hate to see Michael Thompson get stuck in a dead-end job without any opportunity to win. Joe Torre couldn't win at WO-S.  That's just the way it is.  Sooner or later, if LC-M loses Temple Inland as its tax base, then you're going to see two school districts consolidate.  It's coming, mark my words.....

Yes it could!! There have been some interesting discussions on this before.

Why is Foremans name on this list what else did he coach besides football?

Why is Foremans name on this list what else did he coach besides football?

I don't think it's a matter of what sport, but a matter of what ALL the coaches listed brought to the table!!  I definately think that losing these coaches as well ab losing Both Foreman's and Roy Locks DEFINATELY has made an impact!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    xyurnnsw
    Newest Member
    xyurnnsw