ESPN Bracketologgy LU in play-in game

JMay

Guest abovetherim

Quick question, didn't a man from Beaumont play on that Princeton team? I could swear I remember a guy hitting a couple of 3-pts shots in that game. I want to say he was from Beaumont Kelly. I could wrong but if anyone knows I really am interested.

Guest coachacola

The top 8 teams in his bracket are North Carolina, UCLA, Tennessee, Memphis, Xavier, Kansas, Duke and Texas.  I'm not sure if it matters much if we're a 15th seed or a 16th seed, it's going to be a challenge to beat any of those teams.  Which ones do you think Lamar would have the best chance against?

Guest abovetherim

Thanks Ruckdad, right team just a decade off.  ::) Now, Coachacola, I'll probably get hammered again but I think of the 8 mentioned Lamar would match-up pretty good with Xavier. They are a lot better than Lamar but they are similar. They have 5 guys averaging double figures. The former PG for OU is at Xavier I believe his name is Drew Lavender. He is about 5-6 so I'd love the match-up with DK. Then their tallest starter is about 6-9. They play a up-tempo game so anytime you have similar styles I think the chance for a upset is better. They will be pressing and running and so would the Cardinals. It would IMO be decided by a couple of factors. One the Cardinals have no control of. The officials, if they let them play and bang inside and not call 50 fouls that would be great. 1. Lamar isn't great at the FT line. 2. Lamar would need to hold their own on the glass 3. They would need to play the game of there lives. It would probably take a perfect game for Lamar and any of the above mentioned teams would have to have a off night. 3. It would be the one game, I would tell the guards to shoot the 3 any time they are open. Have Worrell, Sanders, Nabors and Brown hitting the glass hard. I think to win Lamar would need to make about 15 treys and shoot over 50% from behind the arch. That would be like shooting 70% from the field on traditional 2 point FG's. Last, but certainly not least is to play good defense.

Now, that is a extremely long answer but I think if the stars are just right Currye Todd, Dawkins, McThay and D-Hop could shoot the ball that well. I have no doubt they could. It is the defense, rebounding and FT's that would worry me.

All that said, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Good post abtr... i would like to see us play Drake or a team like Butler... tough game but they are capable of playing down to their opponents.

I saw Butler play Valpo and almost get beat, and i believe Lamar is better than Valpo.

Guest coachacola

Thanks Ruckdad, right team just a decade off.  ::) Now, Coachacola, I'll probably get hammered again but I think of the 8 mentioned Lamar would match-up pretty good with Xavier. They are a lot better than Lamar but they are similar. They have 5 guys averaging double figures. The former PG for OU is at Xavier I believe his name is Drew Lavender. He is about 5-6 so I'd love the match-up with DK. Then their tallest starter is about 6-9. They play a up-tempo game so anytime you have similar styles I think the chance for a upset is better. They will be pressing and running and so would the Cardinals. It would IMO be decided by a couple of factors. One the Cardinals have no control of. The officials, if they let them play and bang inside and not call 50 fouls that would be great. 1. Lamar isn't great at the FT line. 2. Lamar would need to hold their own on the glass 3. They would need to play the game of there lives. It would probably take a perfect game for Lamar and any of the above mentioned teams would have to have a off night. 3. It would be the one game, I would tell the guards to shoot the 3 any time they are open. Have Worrell, Sanders, Nabors and Brown hitting the glass hard. I think to win Lamar would need to make about 15 treys and shoot over 50% from behind the arch. That would be like shooting 70% from the field on traditional 2 point FG's. Last, but certainly not least is to play good defense.

Now, that is a extremely long answer but I think if the stars are just right Currye Todd, Dawkins, McThay and D-Hop could shoot the ball that well. I have no doubt they could. It is the defense, rebounding and FT's that would worry me.

All that said, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

I think out of those 8 teams we match up best against Xavier too because they are the most vulnerable to turnovers and steals, which is Lamar's strength.  I don't think they play near the tempo Lamar does, and I don't think they are that deep either, so they could wear down as the game goes along and give Lamar a chance in the 2nd half.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest abovetherim

Now, compare the "Bracketology" by Joe from ESPN. Yep, he really nails it. On the last day when  someone leaks out the #1 seeds and where they will play. I bet weslinder is right. Joe will be very accurate this time.

As I promised.  http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Edit: Never mind the prior link goes staight to this bracket. However, it wasn't even close to the final one. I should have copied the bracket and not just the link.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124