Lamar University spring enrollment up 16 percent

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola
Final headcount and semester-credit-hour totals for spring 2008 are in and Lamar University officials are pleased with figures that are the best since 1991.

After taking tabulations on the 20th class day, the official day for reporting purposes, Lamar University’s headcount for spring stands at 10,562, an increase of 16.1 percent over spring 2007 and the largest since 1991, and semester credit hours total 109,036, up 5.4 percent over the preceding year.  Headcount for spring 2007 totaled 9,098 and the total semester hours for spring 2007 were 103382.

The growth is due in part to Lamar’s new Master’s of Education program that attracted more than 1,500 distance education students since it began in October 2007.  Growth was seen in other areas as well, including the College of Engineering that experienced a substantial increase in majors, up 9.1 percent over the previous spring.

http://www.lamar.edu/newsevents/news/207_6095.htm

Guest abovetherim

This is great news but only the beginning of what is to come. Lamar has 10,500 and I'm sure LIT is over 3,500. So basically, you can say 14,000 students attend college in Beaumont, Texas. With the economic growth of SE Texas and the improvements completed or headed to the Lamar campus there will be over 15,000 at Lamar alone by 2013. Then LIT will probably be around 5,000 about the same period of time. Add Lamar State College-Port Arthur, who will be over 4,000 within 5 years and Lamar State College-Orange on pace to be around 3,500 or more you're looking at 27,500 or more students attending college in the area.

That will be phenomenal growth within the TSUS.

Guest coachacola

I believe Lamar joining the Texas State University System has been good for both Lamar and TSUS.  Along with the leadership of Dr. Simmons, Lamar has really taken off this past decade with a lot of more good things coming.  I read somewhere that TSUS gained more political clout when the Lamar system was combined with TSUS meaning more money for the schools in the system.

This is great news but only the beginning of what is to come. Lamar has 10,500 and I'm sure LIT is over 3,500. So basically, you can say 14,000 students attend college in Beaumont, Texas. With the economic growth of SE Texas and the improvements completed or headed to the Lamar campus there will be over 15,000 at Lamar alone by 2013. Then LIT will probably be around 5,000 about the same period of time. Add Lamar State College-Port Arthur, who will be over 4,000 within 5 years and Lamar State College-Orange on pace to be around 3,500 or more you're looking at 27,500 or more students attending college in the area.

I generally agree with this, but I think your predictions for LSC-O is very optimistic.  It's at 1900 students, but it hasn't grown since around 2000.  (Like much of Orange.)  I hope it can begin growth, it's a very nice campus, and I enjoyed my one class there, but it just hasn't.

Guest abovetherim

Weslinder, I grew up in Orange. My family; stepfather, mother, brother, sister, cousins and all their families still live there. You are correct but Orange is about to grow the next several years. Industrial growth is expected and more significant is the fact they have started a grant program for kids in Orange County who attend public schools. I forgot the name of it but one of the main figures is a former WO-S graduate by the last name Lewis. He was a former great QB for the WO-S football team. Then my brother as you know is the Administrative Pastor in Orange. He is also the Administrator for Community Christian School. His position is very much like the Superintendent for a public school district. He is over everyone on the educational end of things there, from principles down to the janitor.

So I may be off some but not much. You are right it is a very nice campus. Lets say I'm off 1,000. Lamar State College-Orange over the next 5 years only grows from 1900 to 2500. That is only 600 students. My point will still be valid. There will be about 26,000 students attending college in this area.

Sorry if I am a little defensive about Orange. I'm a proud LC-M alumnus.  ;D

abovetherim....

Do you have any numbers on the percentage of students living on campus, or even how many students are living in the dorms.

When I went to school in the late 80's it just seemed like the vast majority of students commuted, but driving around campus, it just appears much more students are residing on campus.

If that is the case, hopefully they will walk over to the stadium on Saturday nights in a few years to support the football team.

Guest abovetherim

PURPLE4EVER, the past few years Dr. Simmons and the administration have done a wonderful job of enhancing the quality of student life on campus. They have built 4 phases of Cardinal Village with each having about 500 students. There is plans to start a 5th phase soon. Then my nephews live at The Village at Lamar which is on MLK.

Honestly, weslinder would know as much or more about this topic. I haven't heard this but if they are planning for an additional 2,000 student after football is officially announced I can see them building a 6th and possibly a 7th phase of Cardinal Village within the next 5 years.

As of now, there is approximately 2,000 living at Cardinal Village and about 400 at The Village. So, roughly 2400-2500 are now living on campus. I'm pretty sure that is more than lived on campus in the 80's but I would still say Lamar is more of a commuter school. Hopefully in the future that will change!

Weslinder, I grew up in Orange. My family; stepfather, mother, brother, sister, cousins and all their families still live there. You are correct but Orange is about to grow the next several years. Industrial growth is expected and more significant is the fact they have started a grant program for kids in Orange County who attend public schools. I forgot the name of if but one of the main figures is a former WO-S graduate by the last name Lewis. He was a former great QB for the WO-S football team. Then my brother as you know is the Administrative Pastor in Orange. He is also the Administrator for Community Christian School. His position is very much like the Superintendent for a public school district. He is over everyone on the educational end of things there, from principles down to the janitor.

So I may be off some but not much. You are right it is a very nice campus. Lets say I'm off 1,000. Lamar State College-Orange over the next 5 years only grows from 1900 to 2500. That is only 600 students. My point will still be valid. There will be about 26,000 students attending college in this area.

Sorry if I am a little defensive about Orange. I'm a proud LC-M alumnus.  ;D

The program is called inspire XII and starting this year graduating seniors from LCM and WOS will reap the benefits. It pays fees and tuition to any accredited texas school or trade school in the state of Texas. There are stipulations but it is a wonderful program. I and so many other parents are truely grateful for these individuals that have made this possible.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder