Perkins Has Career Day!! 24 Points

Guest DickVitale

Like I said, I don't expect anyone on the outside to understand the work that was put in with that kid.  Its almost an insult, but that's OK. My satisfaction is personal and has nothing to do with you message board "experts" who really don't know very much anyway. Keep thinking that Ozen's kids are just "naturally" talented...I bet if Todd Sutherland had coached him or Brian English, his success would be due to the "great" coaching job that those guys did, huh?...That's SE Texas mentality for you.

Guest tigersvoice

Like I said, I don't expect anyone on the outside to understand the work that was put in with that kid.  Its almost an insult, but that's OK. My satisfaction is personal and has nothing to do with you message board "experts" who really don't know very much anyway. Keep thinking that Ozen's kids are just "naturally" talented...I bet if Todd Sutherland had coached him or Brian English, his success would be due to the "great" coaching job that those guys did, huh?...That's SE Texas mentality for you.

Man, Dickie, I was riding with you on this thread until now.  You have really taken it to a PERSONAL level.  Why don't you do this?  Ask Coach Boutte to contact Perkins and get him, in his next interview, to comment on how much the coaching he got at Ozen has meant to his career!!  Get him to name you and Coach Boutte as his biggest influences and greatest teachers and then you will be exonerated and all us SE Texans with limited mentality will be put in our places.  Sheez!!

Guest DickVitale

NO, I would just like for people to stop acting as if those kids arrive at Ozen with all of this ability and the coaching staff is doing nothing but collecting wins and paychecks!  Credit is NOT what I am seeking here, it's just an understanding that hard work takes place on Fannett Rd. too, and these kids just dont show up and start winning...That's all.

NO, I would just like for people to stop acting as if those kids arrive at Ozen with all of this ability and the coaching staff is doing nothing but collecting wins and paychecks!  Credit is NOT what I am seeking here, it's just an understanding that hard work takes place on Fannett Rd. too, and these kids just dont show up and start winning...That's all.

Please!!  We all know Boutte is a GREAT coach and runs a GREAT program.  Beaumont schools (WB and CHS) were competitive before he came but he took Ozen to another level.  The best kids in town do tend to gravitate towards Ozen but that is a mark of a coach...  Anybody in their right minds would gravitate to a winning program.  I believe that Ozen's coaching help develop the kid to catch the NBA's eye and spark his work ethic and Basketball knowledge... but the NBA has taught him to garnish every inch of talent he has and has help him become NBA ready...  This is the age of POTENTIAL not skill... and that is what he was drafted on...  There are 7' kids in college that will never see the NBA... He is 6'10" and put in a position to show his POTENTIAL in high school and it got him into the NBA.

It's funny how you so adequately describe yourself when referring to others.  I've been reading your posts on here for quite awhile now, but this is the first time we've butted heads.  It boils down to this... you have a lot of good ideas, and oftentimes i find myself in agreement with you.  Even on these threads where we've recently been going back and forth, I still have agreed with you on some points.  The problem is that anytime someone does not share your opinion, instead of either stating your case or letting it go, you find a way to insult the other person.  You act like you're the only "expert" on this board, and that anyone who doesn't agree with you is an idiot.  You're obviously blatantly biased towards Ozen and their coaching staff.  That's something i can completely understand, as i'm loyal to my teams too.  The problem is that in any situation where someone doesn't pick or praise Ozen's coach, or Ozen's player, or Ozen's alumni you get pissed and create an argument.  So what if someone would start a team with Sutherland instead of Boutte.  The thread was "Who would YOU pick", not "Who would you pick if you didn't want to get insulted by Dick Vitale"?  Now before you get the old tighty whiteys all bunched up, let me say this... You're good for this board.  Oftentimes you spur really interesting, enlightening conversation without insult.  You're one of the most active people on the HS BB forum, and you keep things jumping.  Just take the time to realize that not everyone is out to insult Ozen, or you for that matter. 

Guest DickVitale

Old tighty whitey's?  Now THAT'S funny!! Look, I understand your point and believe it or not, I respect it.  Thanks for the compliments, but I am passionate about certain things, and Andre is not just my mentor, he is family. Heck, he IS the reason I got into coaching, and my DAD is a retired coach!!..That is why I hate it when people attempt to downplay what he has done by making statements about only having talent making that the key reason for Ozen's success. My father dealt with that crap too.  Hey, maybe I DO have this arrogant, elitist view due to my background, but, when it comes to basketball, I pretty much know exactly what I am talking about, although I do not profess to know it ALL.  Thats just what it is. This board, to me, is fun, but I am going to always defend what is right, and sometimes this is the tool.  Opinions are fine, but, sometimes mine can come across a little strong, especially when it comes down to something I know and am passionate about.  Bottom line...thanks, and point taken.

DickieV your are hilarious...  I like getting you all worked up ;D...  On the Yates vs. Ozen thread i said "OZEN WOULD WIN" and we still fussed with me.  You are good for this board but you are VERY bias too.  You are like I was when I was at Central...  As i have gotten older I am more subjective now... You might want to broaden your horizons...  You chose coaching as a profession and I did not... But I know basketball, too... ALOT about basketball. So you shouldn't try and force your views but it is good to have a strong stance... If you accept (not agree) others views more you wouldn't get so much flack from everyone.

Let's talk BBall when ever you are ready and I will show you!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin