Thumbs up to watered-down playoffs

Thumbs up to watered-down playoffs

01:26 AM CST on Sunday, January 20, 2008

The UIL playoffs are watered down. No question about it.

And it's not because Class 4A superintendents recently voted to add another playoff team from each district. Each 4A district having four playoff berths, matching what 5A does, will only add to the number of teams diving into the playoffs after struggling to stay afloat during the regular season.

The playoffs became watered down more than a decade ago, when 5A (in 1992) and 4A ('96) started taking three teams from each district. That's when teams with losing records started playing in the postseason instead of watching from the stands.

So now we have four playoff teams in each district. Pretty ridiculous, right?

Actually, it makes a lot of sense.

As ugly as it is to see a basketball team that finishes 9-20 make the playoffs – and there was also an eight-game winner in that same bracket last year – I think back to what Arlington Lamar football coach Eddy Peach said when 5A expanded two years ago.

"The experience that those kids get, not just the football team, but the band kids, the drill team, the cheerleaders, everyone that gets involved, it means something to them for a lifetime."

It's true, even if they get clobbered in the first round by a team that really does belong in the playoffs. And that's not always what happens.

Just last month, Converse Judson nearly knocked off Euless Trinity for the 5A Division I football title. That was after Judson spent the regular season getting knocked around in its district and finishing fourth.

That was quite a district, obviously. And there's quite a disparity in the quality of districts throughout the state. So adding a fourth team helps protect schools that get aligned in ultra-competitive districts.

Still, we're talking about a lot of teams in the playoffs. In the current alignment, 128 of the 249 5A schools qualify. The 4A playoffs feature 96 teams from a pool of 230 schools.

"I've got to be honest with you. I've got mixed feelings about this," McKinney ISD athletic director Keith Garinger said last week. "You set yourself up for some criticism that some teams didn't earn their way into the playoffs."

The problem, Garinger said, comes with the districts with fewer than eight teams. In 5A, 22 of the 32 districts have eight or more schools. In 4A, only 13 districts have eight or more.

Nine 4A districts have seven schools, nine have six and one district has just five. Four playoff teams from those districts really is ridiculous.

JOHN F. RHODES / DMN

Pinkston would have made the UIL playoffs last season under the new format in Class 4A. But the districts will change on Feb. 1, when the UIL realigns for the next two school years. More than a dozen new schools will be part of the alignment, which could get more districts closer to eight teams.

That may happen. What we know will happen:

In 5A, schools with little more than 2,000 students will share districts with schools twice their size. In 4A, big and small will also be district mates. And in all classes, schools with top-notch athletic facilities will compete against schools less fortunate; schools with strong booster clubs will compete against schools that have none; and schools with great coaches will compete against ...

Well, you know.

In other words, it won't be perfectly fair. It never has been, and there is no possible organization of schools that can make it that way. That's why 4A superintendents got it right when they voted – by an overwhelming 186-38 – to add a fourth playoff team from each district. With so many variables at play, it's best to be as inclusive as possible.

Yes, they watered down the playoffs more. But do a few ugly first-round games really affect the integrity of the playoffs? The real effect is on the players who get to play an extra game, or two, or in the case of Judson, six.

That fits well with the goal of high school athletics, which is to provide opportunity. When you think of it that way, adding one more really adds up.

Unless the UIL is going to do something about making sure that most if not all the 4A districts has at least 8 teams per district, this is just another bad move. I didn't like it when 5A went to 4 teams but they have enough schools to actually get away with it. Class 4A doesn't. You'll have districts with 5 and 6 teams have 4 of those make the playoffs, nothing good about that. " We came in next to last in our district but we still get to go to the playoffs", how lame is that?

Like BMTSoulja said, thumbs down!!!!!

Remember now guys the Superintendients across the State voted on this, Not the UIL.

Yes, I know that the sups voted this stupid thing, but the UIL forms the districts. Unless they make the districts at least 8 team districts, it will not be a good move. The UIL will need to bolster the 4A classsification to enable them to have 8 team districts. This means that some big 3A's will possibly move up. Probably schools in the 900-1000 enrollment will move up.

Their supposed to have 6 teams in a District Minunim.

There are some 4A districts with just 5 schools. Even a 6 team district isn't right for 4 teams to qualify from. In that case all a school would have to do is win 2 out of the 5 district games and you qualify. That's pretty lame. In some cases only one district win would allow you to advance, with a tie breaker involved. That's just comical.

Starting next season they will have 6 team Districts and no less is what Dr. B told me a few weeks back.

With 4 teams going to the playoffs, 6 team districts still isn't enough.

Here's a scenario:

A school is in a 6 team district, therefore they will have 5 district games and 5 non district games. The school loses all 5 of their non district games and then goes 1-4 in their district games, tied with 2 other teams for last place in their district with 1-4 records. They win the tiebreaker and advance to the playoffs with a 1-9 record. Yea, this team really deserved to go to the playoffs. ::)

With at least 8 team districts, one would have to finish at least middle of the district to advance not at the bottom.

Like I said, stupid move.

The term "scrub" is relative.  Judson proved if anything how unequal districts are.  Look no further than the local 3A district, the 4th and 5th place teams would have won the neighboring district's championship.  You'll never make everyone happy, but at least those in a strong district get a chance to "stretch their legs" outside of their district so to speak.  What difference does it really matter when after week one it should be apparent who should be in the playoffs and who shouldn't?  The system quickly corrects itself and allows programs to taste a little success.  The schools with perennial success probably really do not see the point and feel it waters down everything but to a program that rarely if ever gets the opportunity it is a tremendous feat for their program.  If a Vidor or Kountze were to make the playoffs it instantly boosts the program and community, look no further than what it did in Lumberton.

The term "scrub" is relative.  Judson proved if anything how unequal districts are.  Look no further than the local 3A district, the 4th and 5th place teams would have won the neighboring district's championship.  You'll never make everyone happy, but at least those in a strong district get a chance to "stretch their legs" outside of their district so to speak.  What difference does it really matter when after week one it should be apparent who should be in the playoffs and who shouldn't?  The system quickly corrects itself and allows programs to taste a little success.  The schools with perennial success probably really do not see the point and feel it waters down everything but to a program that rarely if ever gets the opportunity it is a tremendous feat for their program.  If a Vidor or Kountze were to make the playoffs it instantly boosts the program and community, look no further than what it did in Lumberton.

The difference being, Lumberton earned their way to the playoffs, they didn't back into them or finish next to last and still make the playoffs. Look, I see the point being made that it gives a school, who traditionaly doesn't make the playoffs, more of an opportunity to qualify. But I just don't see the point in rewarding someone for finishing near the bottom of their district. I know some districts are stronger than others, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Can't do anything about geography, it is what it is.

Like I said before, if you are going to allow 4 teams to advance, they must come from at least an 8 team district, that would be more logical. Four teams coming from these 5 and 6 team districts just isn't right.

tiger, i think you're insulting lumberton a little bit by using them as a point in the post.  they earned their playoff spot with stellar play in district, and once they got to the playoffs, they made their opportunity count.  the town of lumberton was buzzing because they made the playoffs, but moreso because they went 9-1 in the regular season to get there.  do you honestly think that a team that goes 3-7 and makes the playoff is going to set their town on fire with excitement?

sorry aggie, didn't mean to plagiarize your post there... i honestly typed this before i realized that you were quoting tiger rather than posting that yourself... i guess i need to read more before i reply.  anyway, i guess great minds think alike, as we both basically said the same thing :)

Obviously you misread my post if you take what I said as insulting Lumberton.  Lumberton as well as the other two schools I mentioned have been viewed as inferior for years.  Lumberton has taken lumps for years but as soon as it looked like they were going to make the playoffs the school pride swelled as did the community support.  That is what makes going to the playoffs does.  To answer the question, yes, making the playoffs regardless of record sets most smaller communities abuzz.  I will say it is sad however to see the big 5a schools, some here as well, not even go to their games.

In regards to more schools making it I understand the nonsense with a 5 team district, but with an 8 team powerhouse of a district it isn't fair either.  Like I stated if it is watered down then the "cookie can crumble" in a week.

To Tiger, you mean to tell me that now we are 'letting, teams get the opportunity to taste playoff success?  Whatever happened to earning them?  And to touch on what Bullet and Aggie said, Lumberton (the 'Davids of this area)earned the chance to tangle with the big boys.  I have a feeling that teams are going to play just good enough just to make the fourth spot.  How about this?  Just don't award a doggone district title?  :-\

the reason i said what i said was that you were using a 9-1 lumberton team who had a breakout year, thus causing a swelling of community pride, to justify letting teams into the playoffs with 3-7 or 4-6 records... i don't believe your intent was to disrespect lumberton, but i also don't believe that what happened in lumberton will happen if some team gets into the playoffs with a losing record.  i just don't see a team that goes 3-7 and makes the playoffs making a big splash in the local community.  there just aren't enough competitive districts to justify having four teams make the playoffs. 

Lumberton certainly earned their way in and did very well once they got there----I think it is ridiculus however for a team with a losing DISTRICT record to get a playoff slot. If 4 teams must go (also ridiculus) then if if matched up with such a team they should get a bye--Frankly IMO 3 teams is still one to many.

The IRS oops, I mean UIL has added another team to the 4A playoffs. Most of us don't like it but here it is.

When you consider the strength of 22-4A last year we would have swept the 1st round in the playoffs, most likely.

That would have put 4 teams in the second round from 22-4A like it or not that would have been pretty sweet.

I think there is a good chance we will do it this year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86