Bridge City Soccer Predictions

ukfan27

they're gonna get beat up pretty bad.  it's tough for schools with no quality youth soccer leagues close to home.  Hopefully for them (and HJ) there will be a 3A playoff system soon.  They'll be a little more competitive against smaller schools.  It's tough when you get thrown into a district with 4 or 5 solid 4a schools. 

don't count them out before they get started... 

in southeast texas players drive from all over to play in spindletop, gulf coast, orange, hardin etc...

lots of players compete in houston on a regular basis & it is not unusual for we soccer folk to drive to dfw & austin for tournaments....

the soccer world is quickly growing & changing for 3a schools.  good luck guys!

yeah, i agree with you, to a point.  some local players drive that far to play, but most of the players who travel to play are playing at a competitive level.  they got good enough to compete on a blue or gold team (or whatever they call them these days) by playing in local leagues.  a player with no experience isn't going to be good enough to make a competitive team, and most of their parents aren't going to drive anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours to play in a rec league.  in towns like lumberton, beaumont, nederland etc, soccer is a big sport, and many kids start playing at a young age.  in smaller towns out towards the country, there are less opportunities to play, and more emphasis on the "bigger sports" such as football, baseball, and basketball.  not only will BC have less kids to choose from to play due to their much smaller enrollment, they'll also have few experienced soccer players on their team.  just about any kid that has lived in the BC district who's family is really serious soccer will have already moved to play for a district that has had a team, and in the future, many will probably move to a district that fields a team that can compete. the problem for bridge city is that they'll probably be fielding a team with a few real soccer players, some players who played a long time ago when they were 9, and a few athletes who are just playing for fun.  when they run into nederland, lumberton, png, central, vidor, and even silsbee who are playing 11 starters who've all played for 10 years, the gap is immense.  maybe after a season or two they'll be competitive with HJ, WOS, and Ozen, but even those teams should have an advantage over bridge city to start.  I'm excited for them that they're getting a team, and i'm glad that soccer is slowly spreading, but until we get a 3A playoff system, it's going to be tough sledding for 3A soccer programs that aren't in close proximity to a major city with easily accessible leagues.  Expect a lot of 10-0 results to start out.

I graduated from BC in 93 and we tried to get the soccer program started for the season which would have been my senior year.  It failed, but we would have run into the same problem.  We only had a few people who were really good soccer players.  Most who wanted to play were just guys that played when they were younger.  We had maybe 3-4 people who were still playing rec, blue or gold while they were still in high school.  It will take a few years to get the program to be competetive.  I am glad to see them get it started even though it's 15 years too late. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86