Coaching Openings?? Thoughts!

Last year we had a record 12 HC/AD openings. This year so far we have 3. Evadale, Memorial, Lumberton. Huffman's was just filled. Big question is how many more (if any) will come open? Rumors still float around about Bridge City's Claude Tarver's contract not being renewed. Vidor's Jeff Matthews has also been rumored to possibly be moving on? Will LCM's Todd Moody stay for the long run? Let's hear it!!

There are lot of mixed emotions on Tarver in BC. Some like him some don't. I think overall the football program did well while he was there, but hey we were once 4a, moving to 3a would help anyone in the long run. Some of the coaches I hear do not care for him either. I am not sure he really supports the other athletic programs in the school that much. Of course this is SE Texas, where football is king, but that doesn't make it right.

Memorial will be another beast. Who wants to coach under that current school administration? I mean that place is crazy. Unless you come away as a state champion in two to three years your gonna be looking for a new job anyway. IF they cleaned house administratively then maybe they could get some quality candidates. As for now, I am not sure they will, but hey I have been wrong before.

Memorial needs to get Coach Owens--period. If they get owens they go to state within 2 years. Lee was GARBAGE before he got there and within 1-2 years they won district I do believe and went to the playoffs. They had to wait to go to state/state semis because of the talent that was still at CUJO. If CUJO wasn't there they would've went to state within his first couple of years there.

With Memorial, is that something that the state is going to have to have a say in? That school baord may be dissolved before a hiring is made. If it is the current board, I see them hiring from within and keeping someone like Senegal in place. But if that changes, I see them going outside of the district and probably someone younger who is just trying to fill a slot on the resume.

I can't believe that the run that BC made this year could not put to rest the problems that the folks in BC had with Claude Tarver. If he is removed, I hear that native son, Jeff Mathews, currently at Vidor, will move over to fill that job. I think this would be a HUGE mistake as Mathews's teams at Vidor have consistently underachieved. And I am not sure if BC wants to have the likes of Gulf Shores on their schedule.

Well who knows what is going through the mind of the people running either of these schools.

The Tarver situation I am with ya playing gulf shores was a joke. Not sure mathews is the one we need. The sad thing is when you hire for a AD he is going to be the football coach, this is not the case in other areas of the country. The main gripe from most is the apathy he shows towards other sports. I will say he has been successful at BC in football, but what are the board members or Supers looking at, ya know what I mean. Overall I can see him staying or going, just hope if he goes it doesn't get worse.

Owens would have to be hit over the head with sharp objects to take the memorial job. WHY WOULD HE??? If anyone can name 1 positive of working at memorial I would like to hear it?

75, could you do me a favor? When you say that Tarver has shown apathy toward the other sports, could you explain that?

I only ask for this reason....it is not like BC has been starved for athletic success aside from football. Look at this year as an example. A state championship in boys' cross country, a boys' basketball team that is competing for a playoff spot, baseball and softball teams that will be competing for state championships. So the football program isn't the only successful athletic program at BC.

Now as to the fact that he is not a very personable guy, I agree that it is not a good trait to have when you are trying to save your job. However, is that a good reason for getting rid of someone?

This is certainly an outsider view, but it appears that BC is taking a step back if they get rid of Tarver.

Well when I say apathy, I mean he has bascially no interest in the other sports. Speaking from some experience from those in the know, when problems arise in the programs, or things need to get done, decisions need to be made it basically falls on deaf ears. A good program administrator sees to all the programs not just one. The reason of the success in the other sports is not related to the him but to the other coaches of those sports. BC has good programs in baseball, softball, cross country 1) the kids work it from a earlier age (not so in basketball obviously somtimes) 2) BC has decent coaches in those sports who have proven to be winners. Despite the lack os support so to speak they continue to work hard because of a work ethic, and the desire to see kids get better.

Tuna let tell ya $$$$$$$$$$$$$ isn't everything, and the headaches he will recieve from the current admin is NOT worth it. Just read the paper, the people running that whole school district are nuts...............politics, politics, politics, its all about who has the power. Forget that!!!!!!!!!!! Stay where you are Owens, save yourself........................

75' date=' could you do me a favor? When you say that Tarver has shown apathy toward the other sports, could you explain that?

I only ask for this reason....it is not like BC has been starved for athletic success aside from football. Look at this year as an example. A state championship in boys' cross country, a boys' basketball team that is competing for a playoff spot, baseball and softball teams that will be competing for state championships. So the football program isn't the only successful athletic program at BC.

Now as to the fact that he is not a very personable guy, I agree that it is not a good trait to have when you are trying to save your job. However, is that a good reason for getting rid of someone?

This is certainly an outsider view, but it appears that BC is taking a step back if they get rid of Tarver.[/quote']

Living in this school district now I see a similarity in what I remember when Neumann came to NHS. Although Neumann can be personable, he did not continue to keep the same old rust bucket coaches around to continue the same old program that was always at NHS. He shook up the system his way. It has worked.

Now Tarver has a rich history of 3A success in this area. No one can dispute that. If BC wants to have a coach that everyone wants to invite over for a crawfish boil or BBQ, then maybe he is not your guy. If they want someone to elevate the program past the level that it is now, he is the guy. If they feel he isn't sensitive to other sports (although I disagee) keep him as HC and hire a new AD.

Any way around it, I have a son that I would be proud to play for Traver one day. Can't say that for some other area coaches. Including Sir Hooks-A-Lot from WOS. Does well at that school, but I don't ever want my son to play and learn in that type of program. But I am sure that parents in WOS don't want that from Tarver or Neumann programs either. That is why we choose ISD's when we buy a home.

I hope BC does not make a stupid careless mistake a get rid of him. And if they do, they better make sure the reason is well documented and full of good points.

Well I can somewhat see your point of view, however a good football coach does not make up the whole athletic dept. There at least 10 other programs that need guidance and attention. When you take over as AD you should be able to be personable and give the attention and not play favorites to whatever sports you determine to be important. Now I know we live in Texas home of high school football, so I understand the bias at most schools. However do not tell me how great Tarver is without living or being under his program. If you like Neuman stay in Big NED. IF not get him out or move. The issue was not how he was as far as winning goes, it has been proven that he can win at the 3A level. Hooks wins at several levels. I am not a big PRO Hooks, guy, I am just saying don't slam one coach for winning and being successful when that is your platform for the other. If Tarver stays great, thats good for him not good for other programs, however things can always get worse. You never know who you will get next go around. There is never a clear answer, I just know that things can and should get better, otherwise his job would not be in question.

What is that supposed to mean? Hooks is one of the most winningest Coaches in the State!! :scratch :scratch

I don't deny that Coop.

OCBDFan' date=' please keep to the subject (Forum Rule 9) and do not post unsubstantiated rumors, suspiscions or slanderous comments about anyone - this includes non-members of the forums. (Forum Rule 15)

[/color']

Well I can somewhat see your point of view' date=' however a good football coach does not make up the whole athletic dept. There at least 10 other programs that need guidance and attention. When you take over as AD you should be able to be personable and give the attention and not play favorites to whatever sports you determine to be important. Now I know we live in Texas home of high school football, so I understand the bias at most schools. However do not tell me how great Tarver is without living or being under his program. If you like Neuman stay in Big NED. IF not get him out or move. The issue was not how he was as far as winning goes, it has been proven that he can win at the 3A level. Hooks wins at several levels. I am not a big PRO Hooks, guy, I am just saying don't slam one coach for winning and being successful when that is your platform for the other. If Tarver stays great, thats good for him not good for other programs, however things can always get worse. You never know who you will get next go around. There is never a clear answer, I just know that things can and should get better, otherwise his job would not be in question.[/quote']

Good post here. But remember, you are only in the beggining of Tarver's program. He is not going to be a favorite for just the reasons I stated. Hooks does not endorse other sports like he does FB nor does Neumann. It is natural that these guys are more interested in their HC portion of their career rather than the AD portion. And you are right, there can be much worse.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33