5A D1 District 9 Discussion

13 hours ago, purple reign said:

Angleton runs a spread and an agressive 4-2-5 defense. 

Schedule:

wk1 Clear Lake

wk2 Brazoswood

wk3 Richmond Foster

wk4 Houston Westside

wk5 Beaumont United (home)

Wk6 Beaumont Westbrook (away)

wk7 bye

wk8 Baytown Sterling (home)

wk9 P.A. Memorial (away)

wk10 Barbers Hill (home)

wk11 Galveston Ball (away)

Tough way to end district, but it will be interesting 

1 hour ago, 1989NDN said:

Would you swap Angleton for Crosby and Galveston Ball for Galena Park?  Any others?

I would keep GPHS with HISD and also put Spring Woods in.  Also, I would add Lufkin in that HISD district because Delmar Stadium is the shortest for travel.  Besides that, I would swap Gball, Angelton and BH for Porter, KPark, and Crosby.  Also Sterlinig can go to Dist 11 as well.  So simple but I suspect they have blind people as map readers

37 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

Keep in mind shuffling a lot of things up at this point would rock the boat for a bunch of predistrict games already agreed on, so the effects would reverberate beyond the district. 

Eventhough, the districts have been laid out, nothing's official until after all appeals have been heard(Feb 20th)

On 2/17/2024 at 4:07 PM, purple reign said:

Angleton's and Lufkin's appeals are probably a package deal. They won't put them in the same district. Spring Woods also appealed to move to D10 with HISD schools mostly. As bad as they always are, they don't want to play a team with a pulse. Galveston Ball didn't appeal, so will stay in D9.

Tomorrow is going to be very interesting. 

I got a gut feeling the UIL will greenlight this. I think they might think they will be appeasing two for one since it shapes up as a package deal. For BH, Angleton is closer, 73 miles and 1:10 drive time, but that can expand due to Houston Friday rush hour traffic and lots of lights. Lufkin is 1:55 and 115 miles, but its an easy cruise up hwy 59. I would still pick Angleton though. 

FWIW, Calpreps had Lufkin the better team last season, Angleton was better in 2022. Whatever.   

5 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

I got a gut feeling the UIL will greenlight this. I think they might think they will be appeasing two for one since it shapes up as a package deal. For BH, Angleton is closer, 73 miles and 1:10 drive time, but that can expand due to Houston Friday rush hour traffic and lots of lights. Lufkin is 1:55 and 115 miles, but its an easy cruise up hwy 59. I would still pick Angleton though. 

FWIW, Calpreps had Lufkin the better team last season, Angleton was better in 2022. Whatever.   

You made a good point there, I think the UIL "sometimes" looks at distance between opponents and doesn't take into consideration traffic in some areas, especially around the major cities.