5A D1 District 9 Discussion

10 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Lufkin has the unanimous vote from the district that they are trying to leave. That is very important in their petition process.

Not sure district 9 will be unanimous. 

Read somewhere that unanimously district 9 turned down the Lufkin move...

2 hours ago, Alpha Wolf said:

Read somewhere that unanimously district 9 turned down the Lufkin move...

I want to welcome you and Forest Park with open arms.  Both of my daughters finished from Central so I'm partial to United......

Until dem black hats come to town

1 minute ago, TradenupBH said:

Was this due to travel time or they scared of Lufkin? Lol

It's all about travel.

Lufkin is on an island in 5A DI.

I completely understand why Lufkin wanted out of District 8 and into District 9. Average travel time was 3 hours to district 8. 2 hours to district 9.

But I also understand why the teams in district 9 wanted no part of Lufkin. It increased their travel time by an hour on average. (at least for that game)

Personally, I think Lufkin should be added to District 9.

6 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

It's all about travel.

I completely understand why Lufkin wanted out of District 8 and into District 9. Average travel time was 3 hours to district 8. 2 hours to district 9.

But I also understand why the teams in district 9 wanted no part of Lufkin. It increased their travel time by an hour on average. (at least for that game)

What makes the most sense is to put them in District 11.   If you are worried about travel time then that is better time wise and geographically.

8 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

How do you figure? 

there are Sugarland teams in district 11.

Well.   If the reason they want to move is because of Travel Time then on average the time of travel is less for District 11.

Sugarland is closer than Galveston and Angleton.

On 2/1/2024 at 5:15 PM, navydawg31 said:

Just weird BH and Crosby spilting tbh … it’s like Nederland and PNG being in different districts imo 

I think the factor was Angleton. It seems to me the UIL wanted a "coastal district" which had to include Ball, so that in turn led to Angleton connecting around Galveston bay. The other district is more Houston & northwest. The UIL explicitly states "rivalries are NOT considered" during realignments. I might be in the minority here but I just don't see Crosby as a rival for BH anyway, or perhaps it's just a one way rivalry. 

On 2/2/2024 at 9:05 AM, AggiesAreWe said:

It's all about travel.

I wonder if anyone thought of Lufkin choosing Dist 8 or District 10?  Going west or south east instead of coming to the golden triangle etc?

3 minutes ago, Austin1985 said:

I wonder if anyone thought of Lufkin choosing Dist 8 or District 10?  Going west or south east instead of coming to the golden triangle etc?

They are wanting out of 8.

All of District 8 schools voted to let them leave. But all of District 9 schools voted against letting them join.

It's in UIL hands now.