The Cardinals signed a total of nine players during the early signing period.

KFDM COOP

The Cardinals signed a total of nine players during the early signing period.

Nov. 28, 2007

BEAUMONT - Lamar University baseball coach Jim Gilligan announced the addition of six more players that have signed national letters-of-intent to continue their education and play baseball for the Cardinals, bringing the total number of early signees to nine for the 2008-09 season.

Lamar, who already announced the signing of local players Kevin Angelle of Bridge City High School (San Jacinto JC), V.J. Bunner of Vidor HS and Eric Harrington of Port Neches-Groves HS, added six junior college pitchers that should bolster the staff for the 2009 season.

Signing with the Cardinals were Guillermo Cienfuegos of Alvin College, Norm Wittkamp of Angelina College, Jamie Bagley of San Jacinto JC, Brandon Chambers of LSU-Eunice, Blake Ford of Northeast Texas College and Ryan Koenig of Eastfield College.

"Coach (Jim) Ricklefsen, who is our recruiting coordinator, identified early that our need area for next season will be pitching, and I think we did a good job of signing some experienced pitchers during the early signing period," said Gilligan. "Looking ahead, we are going to have a lot of experienced position players returning next season, which will give us a good nucleus, so we targeted getting some good arms in to replenish the pitching staff."

Cienfuegos, a 6-2, 220-pound right-handed pitcher, posted a 5-2 record with a 3.80 earned run average last season at Alvin College. He was invited to play in the Texas JUCO All-Star game. He was a three-time first-team all-district pitcher (2003-06) and was named first-team all-area in 2006 at Valley View HS.

A 6-5, 215-pound right-handed pitcher, Ford posted a 5-2 record with a 3.91 ERA last season at Northeast Texas JC. He posted a 5-2 record with a 1.64 ERA as a senior at Lufkin HS. He struck out 62 in 85 innings pitched in earning all-district honors.

"Guillermo is a big kid with a good arm," Gilligan said. "Ford's dad, Rusty, pitched in Beaumont for the San Diego Padres' Double AA team (Golden Gators), so I've known him for a long time. It's pretty special for me to have his son pitch for us. Blake is a big kid with a great body and has tremendous upside."

A 6-3, 215-pound right-handed pitcher, Bagley was a relief pitcher at San Jacinto JC last season. He prepped at Huffman HS where he was named district MVP and a first-team all-district selection as a senior. He was drafted in the 25th round of the MLB Draft in 2006.

Chambers, a 6-2, 225-pound left-handed pitcher, is pitching at LSU-Eunice this season after hurling at San Jacinto last season. He prepped at Silsbee HS.

"Both Chambers and Bagley are weekend-type guys," said Gilligan. "Bagley is a hard thrower and it's nice to get Chambers, a local kid, to return to this area and play for us."

Koenig, a 6-2, 195-pound left-handed pitcher, posted a 6-3 record with a 3.56 ERA last season at Eastfield JC. He was selected to pitch in the Texas JUCO All-Star game. He prepped at Cypress Springs HS. Wittkamp, a 6-2, 225-pound right-handed pitcher, posted a 4-3 with a 3.60 ERA last season at Angelina College. He posted an 8-1 record as a senior at Clear Creek HS.

"Koenig is a lefty with good stuff and control. He pitched great this fall and we are certainly fortunate to get him. Wittkamp is another hard thrower with a good arm."

Gilligan is pleased the what the Cardinals were able to sign during the early period and is excited about the future of the program. "This is the best set of arms we've signed in quite some time," said Gilligan. "Jimmy (Ricklefsen) should be very proud of the kids we signed, which I think is one of the best classes in recent memory."

Lamar Baseball Early Signing Class for 2008-09

Kevin Angelle, RHP, 6-3, 200, Bridge City, Texas/Bridge City HS (San Jacinto JC)

Jamie Bagley, RHP, 6-3, 215, Huffman, Texas/Huffman HS (San Jacinto JC)

V.J. Bunner, IF, 5-10, 175, Vidor, Texas/Vidor HS

Brandon Chambers, LHP, 6-2, 225, Silsbee, Texas/Silsbee HS (LSU-Eunice)

Guillermo Cienfuegos, RHP, 6-2, 225, Hildago, Texas/Valley View HS (Alvin JC)

Blake Ford, RHP, 6-5, 215, Lufkin, Texas/Lufkin HS (Northeastern Texas JC)

Eric Harrington, RHP, 5-10, 175, Port Neches, Texas/Port Neches-Groves HS

Ryan Koenig, LHP, 6-2, 195, Houston, Texas/Cypress Springs HS (Eastfield JC)

Norm Wittkamp, RHP, 6-2, 225, Friendswood, Texas/Clear Creek HS (Angelina College)

Guest abovetherim

I'd say the Cardinal will have a definite local flavor on the baseball team. There are some really good players in the class. Hopefully it will translate to wins on the diamond.

Guest abovetherim

Thanks for posting this for me Coop. I appreciate you having my back! Needed a little shut eye before heading to working tonight. I agree on paper these guys look really good.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder