Burkeville @ Chester

Chester86

Burkeville (2-4) travels to Chester (3-4) this coming Friday night for a big district match-up.  Leverett’s Chapel (4-2) is leading the district, with High Island (1-6) rounding out the district.  If you have never been to a 6-man game I invite you to make the trip to beautiful Aubrey Bradley Stadium in downtown Chester.  Burkeville has a very storied and successful history in football and this should be a great game.  1-A doesn’t get much love or coverage, but football is still a big thing in small towns too.  The weather should be great, concessions are always good and the atmosphere will be exciting.  If you make it let me know and I’ll keep an eye out for you.  These two are old long-standing district mates and hopefully this will be a great game.

I missed one for Burkeville:

• This is the hidden content, please
    - Former NFL defensive tackle for the Pittsburgh Steelers (1971-1977) and New England Patriots (1978) and 2x Super Bowl champion. He was part of the legendary 
    This is the hidden content, please
    Pittsburgh Steelers' defense along with fellow linemen 
    , and 

3 hours ago, ChesterYellowjacket12 said:

Chester's Jaxon Gay holds the Six Man State Record for the longest INT return. Chester's Jaxon Gay returned a deflected Calvert pass 89 yards for a touchdown in Chester's 58-22 win in 2022. 

That’s what I’m talking about!!!!  Let’s get some interest generated for this game.  I think it’s going to be a great game.  Go ‘Jackets!!!!

Playing with Miami now.  Small-towns are tough.  When I graduated from Chester I went into the military, and then on to big city PD.  I was able to retire (still working though), switch to a different agency and we moved back.  The disparity between the pay from this county and Beaumont  (for law enforcement) is roughly $23K starting, and at Beaumont your pay progresses but the county pay stays the same.  With all that said though, a small school education is what you make of it.  In my class of 19, there was a chemical engineer, a financial-aid director at a university, several successful business owners, a bank VP in Houston, several teachers and civil servants.  You are more involved (sports, UIL events, Ag, etc) and have all the opportunities you want.  I loved it.

D-1 and college players….I was trying to think, and asked some friends if Chester has ever had a major D-1 athlete.  Sean Terry was a punter for TAMU.  His dad was coach at Chester for awhile, and not sure if he claims Chester has a “home town”.  Cord Neal ran track at Lamar I believe.  Mark Young played baseball at several colleges and later into semi-pro.  He is a member of the LeTourneau athletics Hall of Fame.  He later coached at Chester and currently coaches softball at Dallardsville Big Sandy.  David Handley played football for Austin College in Sherman, Tx before becoming a physician.  I know Burkeville has had some D-1 athletes, probably several major college athletes.  I worked with Al and Tim Spikes and we used to talk sports all the time.

On 10/15/2023 at 5:17 PM, Chester86 said:

I missed one for Burkeville:

• This is the hidden content, please
    - Former NFL defensive tackle for the Pittsburgh Steelers (1971-1977) and New England Patriots (1978) and 2x Super Bowl champion. He was part of the legendary 
    Pittsburgh Steelers' defense along with fellow linemen 
    , and 

I was about to say.