9 people shot in Jasper

6 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

You probably missed my point entirely.   I think it's strange that nobody is talking.... The deal in Cheek at the rodeo a couple of weeks ago?  I wasn't surprised that nobody talked.  This deal in Jasper is strange because the victims were mostly white, but not  talking.  They don't seem like the type to know the "street code."  

I'm wondering if the "persons of interest" aren't somehow connected to the power structure there in Jasper and that's why we're not hearing anything.  The lack of information and obvious lack of concern by local law enforcement indicates that something is going on behind the scenes.  

I'm not exaggerating.... if somebody shot up a prom party in Lumberton they'd have choppers, dogs, roadblocks, etc... they'd be broadcasting who the suspects were, photos from fb, what they were driving, BOLOs, etc... or at least saying "we've got 4 persons of interest in custody... there's no need for concern from the community at this time."

Somebody up in Jasper is getting the same deal that the convicted murderer in sabine county got a couple of months ago.  

so now what's your theory?

35 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

This is the hidden content, please

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

My opinion hasn’t changed. 

I can’t remember the last time a mass shooting happened and the suspects were arrested five days later without even being identified publicly. 

heck, we usually know everything about them within about three hours after the shooting. 

that what we have you for. 

who are they?

their motive?

Sherlock & Wilson all in one with some Cagney &  Lacey to top it off.

31 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Yeah...  the truth will come out, I guess.... whether the locals want it to or not. 

All arrests are public record except juveniles. You can probably go to the Jasper County courthouse tomorrow and get all of the sworn to arrest affidavits.

You can read the probable cause information that led to the arrest warrants. 

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

All arrests are public record except juveniles. You can probably go to the Jasper County courthouse tomorrow and get all of the sworn to arrest affidavits.

You can read the probable cause information that led to the arrest warrants. 

I hope they charge them with 11 counts of attempted murder. F*** the dumbs&*t !!  Hammer their azz!

4 hours ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

I hope they charge them with 11 counts of attempted murder. F*** the dumbs&*t !!  Hammer their azz!

I am sure but it will be likely concurrent.

And a note on the law… just because it may (probably) come up later in the media.

Aggravated Assault is a better charge than Attempted Murder. Things like Att. Murder or Manslaughter sound worse but Aggravated Assault is way easier to prove for the same penalty.

An example is Attempted Murder carries a 20 year maximum sentence (2nd degree felony) and Aggravated Assault carries a 20 year maximum sentence (2nd degree felony).

In Attempted Murder the state has to prove that the defendant’s intent was to kill the injured victim. So what if the victim was a bystander? Maybe the shooter/defendant was shooting at A and accidentally hit B. How do you prove intent to kill B when it was an accident remembering that B was a bystander. 

Aggravated Assault only requires the state to show that the defendant “recklessly” injured victim B.

So would the DA rather try to prove “intent” which is not only way more difficult, it might actually be true that the defendant did not want to injury victim B or would the DA rather try to prove that B was recklessly injured, meaning an accident, but caused by someone acting recklessly?

Remember that both are 2nd degree felonies with a 20 year maximum.

I could just about guarantee that they will be charged with aggravated assault for the victims who did not die and Facebook will explode with comments about how stupid the DA is and the police don’t have to investigate because it should be Attempted Murder!!!

No, it should be Aggravated Assault. 

From the law…

Sec. 22.01. ASSAULT.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person: (1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse;

This is misdemeanor assault or assault with an injury (bruise, pain, etc.). Notice that it only requires to prove the injury was caused by being reckless. 

Next is Aggravated Assault…..

Sec. 22.02. AGGRAVATED ASSAULT.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person commits assault as defined in Sec. 22.01 and the person: (1) causes serious bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse;

or (2) uses or exhibits a deadly weapon during the commission of the assault.

First a person must commit an Assault as defined in 22.01 which is to intentionally or knowingly OR recklessly causing injury.

Then it becomes aggravated by either causing serious bodily injury OR using a deadly weapon.

A firearm by Texas law is the only item specifically listed as a deadly weapon. Other things “could be”, depending on how used, which requires proof. A firearm requires no proof and just is a deadly weapon.

"Deadly weapon" means: (A) a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting death or serious bodily injury;

On 4/27/2023 at 8:50 AM, CardinalBacker said:

See?  NORMALLY when there's a mass shooting, they have descriptions of the cars, suspects, tell the public to be on the lookout (or not to be worried).   It's radio silence from the authorities and the community.  A guy got stabbed in Trout Creek a month or two ago and people were steadily commenting about who probably did it, etc.... Not a word from anybody this time.... Despite 11 people getting shot. 

Something fishy is going on.  How do you have party attended by 250 kids, somebody(S) hops out of a car, shoots 11 people, then drives off.... and nobody even says what they were driving?

It's a cover-up.  

Typical blue "Chicago like" behavior. That's all. 

13 hours ago, tvc184 said:

From the law…

Sec. 22.01. ASSAULT.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person: (1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse;

This is misdemeanor assault or assault with an injury (bruise, pain, etc.). Notice that it only requires to prove the injury was caused by being reckless. 

Next is Aggravated Assault…..

Sec. 22.02. AGGRAVATED ASSAULT.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person commits assault as defined in Sec. 22.01 and the person: (1) causes serious bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse;

or (2) uses or exhibits a deadly weapon during the commission of the assault.

First a person must commit an Assault as defined in 22.01 which is to intentionally or knowingly OR recklessly causing injury.

Then it becomes aggravated by either causing serious bodily injury OR using a deadly weapon.

A firearm by Texas law is the only item specifically listed as a deadly weapon. Other things “could be”, depending on how used, which requires proof. A firearm requires no proof and just is a deadly weapon.

"Deadly weapon" means: (A) a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting death or serious bodily injury;

"with intent to cause great bodily injury" is how they phrased it when I was charged ,

12 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

FWIW, I've been hearing that there's an ongoing conflict between kids from Jasper and Newton and this shooting was a part of that ongoing conflict. 

Reading this morning that the Newton/Jasper game fb game for next season got canceled kinda seems to support that.

you were right. damn cover up.

11 minutes ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

you were right. damn cover up.

It's like being patient to make sure you get it right absolutely works sometimes (well most of the time). Good on law enforcement in this one and not folks wanting the case solved the minute the situation happened. 

2 hours ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

"with intent to cause great bodily injury" is how they phrased it when I was charged ,

The culpable mental states from highest (most culpable) to the lowest are:   
Intentionally
Knowingly   
Recklessly   
Criminal Negligence

Proof of a higher mental state automatically proves all lower states.

So they can charge a person with intentionally committing crime but if there are lower available options in that particular, it doesn’t have to be proven.

Some crimes show multiple mental states and if so, only the lowest has to be proven. 

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

The culpable mental states from highest (most culpable) to the lowest are:   
Intentionally
Knowingly   
Recklessly   
Criminal Negligence

Proof of a higher mental state automatically proves all lower states.

So they can charge a person with intentionally committing crime but if there are lower available options in that particular, it doesn’t have to be proven.

Some crimes show multiple mental states and if so, only the lowest has to be proven. 

oh no doubt, I was looking to cause great bodily injury(being completely transparent).  6'5  275lbs assaulted me first(I am 5'8" and at the time bout 185)I had blood in my eye for bout 3 weeks from the busted blood vessels.

my thinking at the time was to make sure he physically couldn't do it again.

broke vertebrae in his neck and back, unknown amount of stitches, 30+ staples and 2 knots comparable in size to chicken eggs(that coming from documents about the case) my attorney when he was telling I needed to write a letter to the court/"the victim"  showing remorse and that I felt so bad that I couldn't see myself doing such a thing. He smiled and agreed(in a matter not saying that, but he said it if you know what I mean) when I told him that should the same type of situation ever happen again in my life that yes I would do what I deem necessary to end the incident and walk away with the least amount of bodily harm to myself as possible. Of course I needed to as he told me and I did.

but anywho......

5 hours ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

oh no doubt, I was looking to cause great bodily injury(being completely transparent).  6'5  275lbs assaulted me first(I am 5'8" and at the time bout 185)I had blood in my eye for bout 3 weeks from the busted blood vessels.

my thinking at the time was to make sure he physically couldn't do it again.

broke vertebrae in his neck and back, unknown amount of stitches, 30+ staples and 2 knots comparable in size to chicken eggs(that coming from documents about the case) my attorney when he was telling I needed to write a letter to the court/"the victim"  showing remorse and that I felt so bad that I couldn't see myself doing such a thing. He smiled and agreed(in a matter not saying that, but he said it if you know what I mean) when I told him that should the same type of situation ever happen again in my life that yes I would do what I deem necessary to end the incident and walk away with the least amount of bodily harm to myself as possible. Of course I needed to as he told me and I did.

but anywho......

when I think about it even still to this day and any time in the future will I ever agree with the how they(the court) ruled him as "the victim". Almost a foot taller and 100 lbs heavier who initiated the situation and hit me first but because I did not use "equal force"  I become the "bad guy". I wanted my lawyer to ask the definition of equal force given size difference and being assaulted first  that self defense didnt apply. he didnt.  Lawbook vs real world scenarios have not, do not, and won't ever align for cases like I had.

UPdate on the 4 shooters arraignment and bond.

The two that have been in jail here Jasper were each charged with 1 count  of aggravated assault with deadly weapon, and 5 counts of engaging in organized crime. Bond for them is 4 million dollars each.

The two who were arrested in the logging  wood and were initially in jail in Louisiana. They are now here in Jasper awaiting arraignment.

32 minutes ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

UPdate on the 4 shooters arraignment and bond.

The two that have been in jail here Jasper were each charged with 1 count  of aggravated assault with deadly weapon, and 5 counts of engaging in organized crime. Bond for them is 4 million dollars each.

The two who were arrested in the logging  wood and were initially in jail in Louisiana. They are now here in Jasper awaiting arraignment.

Because it may be interesting…..

Organized Crime (OC) is not a crime by itself. OC is an enhancement to certain other crimes if committed with 3 or more persons. The punishment is generally one degree higher than the most serious crime committed.

In this case Aggravated Assault is a second degree felony or up to 20 years in prison. By charging OC, it would move the punishment to a first degree felony and up to 99 years maximum.

They will probably get indicted for Organized Crime-Aggravated Assault.

The Agg Assault with at least 3 people is what allows the enhancement to Organized Crime.

What may also be interesting in the OC law, the participants don’t need to know each other. They don’t have to all be in the same room and say, let’s do this.

For example….

A guy gets with an acquaintance and says that he wants to start breaking into homes in the daytime when people are at work. He does not need the acquaintance’s help in the burglaries but he wants the acquaintance to hide the stolen property because the acquaintance has a big shed in his backyard. If the acquaintance can help sell the property, he can keep some of the cash. The acquaintance agrees and says that he has a friend with a lot of street contacts who can get rid of the stolen property quickly.

The friend in turn has a cousin who will help him.

So the first guy starts breaking into homes and stealing various items. He gives it to the acquaintance who has it for a while in the shed. The acquaintance gets with his friend to sell the stolen property. The friend gets his cousin to help him.

So the guy that started the whole thing has no clue who the acquaintance’s friend is and he certainly does not know the cousin. In fact, the acquaintance does not know his friend’s cousin.

So….

A-Original guy breaking into homes   
B-the acquaintance   
C-his friend   
D-the cousin

A knows B only
B knows A and C
C knows B and D but not A 
D only knows C

B, C and D are knowingly possessing stolen property at some point but take no part in the burglaries. C and D don’t even know who the guy is.

Burglary of a Habitation is a second degree felony. Since this involved at least three people, even though they did not all know each other and had no clue where the crimes were being committed, they can all be included in organized crime. The Burglaries can now be enhanced to a first-degree felony carrying that 99 year maximum sentence and….. all 4 can be charged with Organized Crime-Burglary. Since the cousin who is helping to sell the property that he did not know where it came from or who the guy was that stole it, is now face 99 years in prison.

THAT…. is the Organized Crime law. 

• 3 weeks later...