Senator Krysten Switches to Independent

Hagar

This is the hidden content, please

She’s leaving the Democrats & becoming an Independent.  Is it a big deal?  Probably not.  Bernie is an Independent but he’s still a straight down the ballot Democrat.  You can put a saddle on a pig but it’s still a pig.

Anyone see anything I’m missing?

Won’t move the needle either way but always happy to see politicians not blindly falling in line and putting party over country. Whether she still votes accordingly is TBD and another discussion.

The two party system is very obviously broken and has led to increased polarization, despite the general population being fairly moderate.. at least all the smart people I know 😉. Fiscally conservative (less taxes) and socially liberal (who cares what gay people do)

41 minutes ago, DonTheCon2024 said:

Won’t move the needle either way but always happy to see politicians not blindly falling in line and putting party over country. Whether she still votes accordingly is TBD and another discussion.

The two party system is very obviously broken and has led to increased polarization, despite the general population being fairly moderate.. at least all the smart people I know 😉. Fiscally conservative (less taxes) and socially liberal (who cares what gay people do)

So would you be in favor of phasing out all entitlements at the federal level?

By the way, I’m a social liberal.

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

She’s leaving the Democrats & becoming an Independent.  Is it a big deal?  Probably not.  Bernie is an Independent but he’s still a straight down the ballot Democrat.  You can put a saddle on a pig but it’s still a pig.

she's a truly moderate politician, very similar to Joe Manchin.  She very rarely sides with the democrats on the more extreme legislation they try to pass.  

7 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Any version of Medicaid

My nuanced take is if we’re going to give corporate welfare, then we have to give welfare to the common persons.

If we abolish corporate welfare, then I believe it’s a fair trade in abolishing welfare for the common persons. That’ll never happen of course but just my opinion.

what I’ll never in my life understand, is how people (generally poorer conservatives) have no issue with trillion dollar handouts and bailouts (remember PPP scam?) yet gather the pitchforks if a poor single mom needs food stamps to help raise her child. It’s poors fighting against the poors and mad at the wrong people. 

22 hours ago, Hagar said:

Just optics to make her look good. Want change nothing.

19 hours ago, DonTheCon2024 said:

My nuanced take is if we’re going to give corporate welfare, then we have to give welfare to the common persons.

If we abolish corporate welfare, then I believe it’s a fair trade in abolishing welfare for the common persons. That’ll never happen of course but just my opinion.

what I’ll never in my life understand, is how people (generally poorer conservatives) have no issue with trillion dollar handouts and bailouts (remember PPP scam?) yet gather the pitchforks if a poor single mom needs food stamps to help raise her child. It’s poors fighting against the poors and mad at the wrong people. 

This is truly a terrible comparison. No one feels that way about a woman using food stamps to feed her child. No one.

For me, the food stamp saga is when the single mom has multiple kids to get her check (cha-ching) and the dead beat boyfriend takes the stamps and trades them for .50 cents on the dollar and buys beer. 

Back on topic…….I have already stated that I trust no one who changes parties.

3 hours ago, baddog said:

This is truly a terrible comparison. No one feels that way about a woman using food stamps to feed her child. No one.

For me, the food stamp saga is when the single mom has multiple kids to get her check (cha-ching) and the dead beat boyfriend takes the stamps and trades them for .50 cents on the dollar and buys beer. 

Back on topic…….I have already stated that I trust no one who changes parties.

I thought it was a bad comparison as well.  Don’t get me wrong, folks go through hard times and I have no problem with help being available, but it’s impossible to manage on the federal level, and it certainly shouldn’t be a generational thing.

Of course, the democrats will never allow it because they love to leverage dependency for votes.

4 hours ago, Reagan said:

Could the Democrats push ANOTHER Dem out of party? Manchin WON’T rule it out!!

If they would quit just taking the letter next to their name of the party that so embarrassed them and swap the I for am R, it would mean something.

All this means is that my party is so bad but I don’t want to make it look like I support them…. but I still do…. just don’t associate me with the Democrats…. which I am.