End of a 65 Year Era

raideroldtimer

We rarely say anything about the boys in the stripes, except maybe they are blind😉. I would like to bring up something though, in 1958 my uncle Beau Hicks joined the Southwest Officials Association, the precursor to todays Texas Association of Sports Officials, he served as Secretary, I believe President for a while, refereed in both High School and College games as well as ending his career as a recruiter for officials for the NFL. A few years after Uncle Beau started my dad, Wayne Hicks, joined as well, both of them served in virtually every position on the field as well as officiating basketball for awhile which I remember was not my dads' favorite. About 20 years after my Uncle joined my middle brother BJ Hicks joined TASO and has officiated just about every position on the field along with becoming one of the few caucasian officlas in SWAC for a few years. One of my cousins also tried it for awhile but didn't like it. Both my dad and my uncle have passed on leaving the legacy to my brother and this year will be my brothers' last year after close to 45 years running up and down the fields with all the young men. It seems odd to me knowing there will no longer be a Hicks out on that field but I would like to let you guys know that they all served with honesty and integrity. It takes a special man to give his time and his money (they pay yearly dues) and I have been lucky enough to have been related to several of them. 

13 hours ago, raideroldtimer said:

We rarely say anything about the boys in the stripes, except maybe they are blind😉. I would like to bring up something though, in 1958 my uncle Beau Hicks joined the Southwest Officials Association, the precursor to todays Texas Association of Sports Officials, he served as Secretary, I believe President for a while, refereed in both High School and College games as well as ending his career as a recruiter for officials for the NFL. A few years after Uncle Beau started my dad, Wayne Hicks, joined as well, both of them served in virtually every position on the field as well as officiating basketball for awhile which I remember was not my dads' favorite. About 20 years after my Uncle joined my middle brother BJ Hicks joined TASO and has officiated just about every position on the field along with becoming one of the few caucasian officlas in SWAC for a few years. One of my cousins also tried it for awhile but didn't like it. Both my dad and my uncle have passed on leaving the legacy to my brother and this year will be my brothers' last year after close to 45 years running up and down the fields with all the young men. It seems odd to me knowing there will no longer be a Hicks out on that field but I would like to let you guys know that they all served with honesty and integrity. It takes a special man to give his time and his money (they pay yearly dues) and I have been lucky enough to have been related to several of them. 

When beau stopped helping with the Beaumont chapter is when they started to go down hill.

The direction the Beaumont chapter has taken soon they will be no more and will be taken over by the Houston chapter.

14 hours ago, raideroldtimer said:

Admirable..  6 and a half decades of being screamed at by fans.  

No but seriously.. that's pretty cool.