Top Teams in SETX - 2022-2023

Bobcat1

19 minutes ago, FalconsRUs2 said:

So......I'm guessing HH didn't go to the Regional Tournament last season with every starter returning and two of the best 4A players in the region on their roster?

AND DID!  Huffman will be tough this season.  If people weren’t paying attention, last year, they might be in for a shock!

• 3 weeks later...

Rankings don't matter - I know but it still makes for interesting conversation.

TABC pre-season top teams ranked in SETX

Class 4A 
2. Hardin Jefferson
14. Palestine

Class 3A
12. Central Heights
18. Woodville

Class 2A
11. Lovelady
14. Douglass
18. Woden
20. Tenaha
22. Evadale
25. Chireno

Class 1A
17. Wells

4 minutes ago, BBfan061 said:

I think Kountze returns a good bit and won’t be too bad in 3A

I agree - we tried to schedule but couldn't work it out.   I know they were solid last year.

I always think our area is overlooked.   Maybe it's our fault for not promoting more.

On 10/1/2022 at 8:02 AM, FalconsRUs2 said:

So......I'm guessing HH didn't go to the Regional Tournament last season with every starter returning and two of the best 4A players in the region on their roster?

They had a great season last year. I'm guessing you couldn't just get on here and mention that without all the salt?  I didn't realize they'd done that well because the only games I saw were against HJ.  Should be a better matchup this year, but I still think the Hawks beat them.  But with all that coming back I'd expect a similar season from them as long as they stay healthy.

9 hours ago, bullets13 said:

They had a great season last year. I'm guessing you couldn't just get on here and mention that without all the salt?  I didn't realize they'd done that well because the only games I saw were against HJ.  Should be a better matchup this year, but I still think the Hawks beat them.  But with all that coming back I'd expect a similar season from them as long as they stay healthy.

Well.....

We will just see!

2 hours ago, Coach.Shu said:

TXHSGBB has 4A region III top ten pre-season like this.

1.  Waco La Vega

2.  HJ

3.  Silsbee

4. Tyler Chapel Hill

5. Bullard

6.  Marble Falls

7.  Burnet

8.  Jacksonville

9.  Carthage

10.  LCM

Just going through and looking, this is a poorly formulated list. WLV, HJ, and Silsbee all are probably accurate, although an argument could be made to put HJ 1st.  After that the list isn't great.    Jacksonville went 8-21 last year.  Carthage went 9-18, they returned all but one player, but from a bad team.  Tyler Chapel Hill went 15-15.  Bullard was okay at 17-10.  Marble Falls had a decent season in 5A last year and dropped in classification, so that one makes sense.  LCM should be higher, and I have no clue how HH got left off this list.  Hargrave should be top-6, easily, and LCM is better than several of the teams in front of them.

8 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Just going through and looking, this is a poorly formulated list. WLV, HJ, and Silsbee all are probably accurate, although an argument could be made to put HJ 1st.  After that the list isn't great.    Jacksonville went 8-21 last year.  Carthage went 9-18, they returned all but one player, but from a bad team.  Tyler Chapel Hill went 15-15.  Bullard was okay at 17-10.  Marble Falls had a decent season in 5A last year and dropped in classification, so that one makes sense.  LCM should be higher, and I have no clue how HH got left off this list.  Hargrave should be top-6, easily, and LCM is better than several of the teams in front of them.

Thank you for logic!

HH returns every starter from a 25-6 campaign that took them to the Regional Tournament. This list is officially invalid 

On 9/18/2022 at 4:04 PM, Steven Avery said:

Does that include Barbers Hill? Dalanna Carter is back! 

Hardin Jefferson will still be a powerhouse.  Kendall Sneed, Molly Beavers, India McMahon, Jada Pleasant are all still there and they are LEGIT!  All are being recruited and will be playing at the next level. Sneed is being recruited by P5's and the others by low level D1's.  Beavers, who is committed to McNese for softball (they want her to play basketball also, she just hasnt decided yet) is 6'3 now and will be the most dominant on the floor.  As a plus HJ has a few others that can fill it up from outside, they are well constructed.  In a couple of shootouts already HJ has beaten every opponent by 30+ and they have all been 6A's with D1 recruits (Pearland, Clear Brook, Cy Creek, Cy Springs, CE King).  

Yes losing a McDonald All American in Ashlon Jackson is huge and players have to fill different roles but HJ is battle tested and a very mature team with great leadership.  This would still be a lopsided game imo, HJ just has more, no disrespect to Carter but I give the edge in that matchup to Sneed, and yes I've seen them both play over the summer.

I think HJ will be the cream of the crop in our area followed by Silsbee. Huffman will be intriguing to me, their coach has done a very good job with them, I see them finishing 2nd in district behind HJ.  They can make another run at regionals especially if they dont have to face a Waco La Vega in an earlier round, them vs Silsbee tho may be a battle.  Im interested in seeing how LCM does this year also.  Barbers Hill should win their district easily.  The return of Delanna Carter is HUGE and I predict them making a run to regionals.

On 10/24/2022 at 1:26 PM, bullets13 said:

I agree!  La Vega and HJ are 1 and 2 and that can be in any order, I predict another regional battle between the two.  Silsbee is 3 then I would have Huffman at least 5 or 6 but behind Burnet (they will be pretty good).

On 10/1/2022 at 8:21 AM, JDUB said:

AND DID!  Huffman will be tough this season.  If people weren’t paying attention, last year, they might be in for a shock!

I agree.  I predict them finishing 2nd behind HJ and making another run to regionals, just depends on their playoff draw and if they get Silsbee or La Vega.

On 9/15/2022 at 1:27 PM, bullets13 said:

HJ is still the cream of the crop.  They lost the best 4A player in the state, but still have two players coming back who received all-state honors from various organizations, and 6 of their main 8 players from last year.  I don't know if they'll make it to state again, but I don't see anyone in this area giving them too much of a game unless they've lost a player or two that I don't know about.  

I think it will come down to either HJ or La Vega to come out of region 3.  Losing Jackson is huge, she was the best player in the state regardless of classification and the only player named a McDonald All American from Tx.  HJ should be just fine, region 3 is a BEAST tho with Silsbee, Waco La Vega, Huffman and Burnet standing in the way. 

On 9/19/2022 at 4:38 AM, AggiesAreWe said:

Lady Hawks did lose a great assistant coach in Omar Snead. He is now on the Lamar Women's basketball staff.

A great addition to the Lamar coaching staff!  HJ did a very good job in taking their time with hiring a replacement for Omar Sneed.  They did their research and hit a home run with the hiring of Donielle Breaux who played at Kansas and TCU and played professionally overseas.  She is a huge addition to the HJ coaching staff!

Been hearing some pretty good things out of the two 6a squads.  WB returns some good players and will be in the playoff mix.

I also heard that Coach Brown from United is very excited with this upcoming group.  Don’t have a player like Ashlei Kirvin or Princess Anderson, but the team as a whole will be very good.  Can’t wait to see how this team mesh as the season gets started.  She-Wolves are in the tough tournaments so we’ll know early if they’re ready for 6a ball.  

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Been hearing some pretty good things out of the two 6a squads.  WB returns some good players and will be in the playoff mix.

I also heard that Coach Brown from United is very excited with this upcoming group.  Don’t have a player like Ashlei Kirvin or Princess Anderson, but the team as a whole will be very good.  Can’t wait to see how this team mesh as the season gets started.  She-Wolves are in the tough tournaments so we’ll know early if they’re ready for 6a ball.  

*Yawn*  🙄

Give me the details on WB and your employers team over there on the Northside of Port Arthur. 

On 10/26/2022 at 2:32 PM, BMTSoulja1 said:

Where is Princess now?

On 10/26/2022 at 1:32 PM, $$Buckets$$ said:

I agree.  I predict them finishing 2nd behind HJ and making another run to regionals, just depends on their playoff draw and if they get Silsbee or La Vega.

I'll bet my life HH will beat Silsbee.  You won't find 3 4A teams in this region better than them including Burnet! Burnet caught them on a bad night last year and beat them. No excuse there, that's part of baseball. HH vs HJ will be better than expected this year as well.

I said it first..

Hh vs HJ or LV in the Regional final

On 11/2/2022 at 7:13 AM, FalconsRUs2 said:

I'll bet my life HH will beat Silsbee.  You won't find 3 4A teams in this region better than them including Burnet! Burnet caught them on a bad night last year and beat them. No excuse there, that's part of baseball. HH vs HJ will be better than expected this year as well.

I said it first..

Hh vs HJ or LV in the Regional final

Honestly im good with that prediction.  Should be a great season!!

Bridge City looks like they are going to have a descent team this year.  Coach Larry Sterling is the new head coach.  He was the assistant basketball coach for the Nederland boys. They beat Kirbyville Friday night 46-27.  I have a feeling they have a good chance making it to the playoffs this season.

9 hours ago, FalconsRUs2 said:

After watching BH play last night I'm going to double down on my thoughts. Kindle Sneed can't hold a candle to the transfere PG at BH

The Eagles have a nice squad

When’s the last time you’ve seen Kendall sneed play? heard She put in a lot of work during the summer. I’d still bet money BH wouldn’t beat HJ 🤷🏽‍♂️

On 11/9/2022 at 10:14 PM, Hawks18 said:

When’s the last time you’ve seen Kendall sneed play? heard She put in a lot of work during the summer. I’d still bet money BH wouldn’t beat HJ 🤷🏽‍♂️

I watched her all summer in AAU with Cy Fair elite. 

I didn't say BH could beat HJ (although they might)

I simply said the PG for BH is better...

Lastly 

I have now seen PAM AND BU both play and neither are any good. The 3 schools I've mentioned are probably the best girls hoop team in the region regardless of classification 

On 11/9/2022 at 12:24 PM, FalconsRUs2 said:

After watching BH play last night I'm going to double down on my thoughts. Kindle Sneed can't hold a candle to the transfere PG at BH

The Eagles have a nice squad

I respect your opinion but please keep in mind that Sneed is only a junior and the PG at BH is a senior.  Sneed has the higher ceiling imo and a much better and proven defender.  Sneed is a true floor general not a "volume shooting" PG.  A shame that BH coach called off the game tho, so we wont be able to see that matchup.  A matchup that I think HJ wins easily, they have much more.