What’s more American…

CardinalBacker

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

Of course! Just because the shooter has photos on his social media of himself draped in a Trump flag and also photos of himself at a Trump rally doesn’t mean he’s a Trump supporter. 

Y’all a buncha Judases around here. 

One could label you a Trump supporter, since you say that you voted for him twice.

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Of course! Just because the shooter has photos on his social media of himself draped in a Trump flag and also photos of himself at a Trump rally doesn’t mean he’s a Trump supporter. 

Those running the clown show known as the J6 committee say it’s honest.  So...

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Say what you will about Judas but he did betray Jesus right into the will of God. 

Trump has got you insane in the membrane. 😂

10 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

10 killed / 62 wounded in Chicago last weekend and not nearly the coverage as this, and this is a problem that can be addressed with no new laws, simply better leadership.

Much harder to convince the low information crowd Chicago is Trump's fault so not nearly the interest from democrats and media.

This is the hidden content, please

Amazing how it gets ignored every weekend in National News. Democrat run City, top to bottom. 

9 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

And who did he end up killing? These victims were celebrating Independence Day, so they damn sure weren’t your Biden crowd. I think you have sick individuals who would make it appear that they support Trump just to make people like you lose it.

This guy seems to be the poster boy for what we have discussed on here, keeping someone from getting a gun legally due to mental health issues.

This guy had red flags for sure but it looks like he committed no crime previously and the family didn't move forward with a legal complaint.

I understand this is what is in the news and could be wrong but given those circumstances, is there anything law enforcement could have done or were their hands tied by no crime and no complaint?

TVC, your thoughts?

From the article:

The suspect in the Highland Park, Illinois, Fourth of July mass shooting was flagged by police as a "clear and present danger" in 2019, authorities said Tuesday.

Robert "Bobby" E. Crimo III, 21, the suspect in the mass shooting that killed seven people and wounded dozens of others at a Fourth of July parade, was still able to clear state-required background checks to purchase firearms on at least four separate occasions between 2020 and 2021, the Illinois State Police said.

"In September 2019, ISP received a Clear and Present Danger report on the subject from the Highland Park Police Department. The report was related to threats the subject made against his family," Illinois State Police said in a statement posted to Twitter by a staff member for Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker.

The report said that when Highland Park officers went to the family's home and asked Crimo if he felt like harming himself of others, he said no. Police said Crimo's father claimed knives in the home belonged to him and they were being kept in Crimo's closet for safekeeping. Based on that information, Highland Park Police returned the knives to the father that day. 

The statement said police did not make any arrests at the time and that members of the family were "not willing to move forward on a complaint."

Members of the family also did not "provide information on threats or mental health that would have allowed law enforcement to take additional action," the ISP statement added.

"Additionally, no Firearms Restraining Order was filed, nor any order of protection," ISP said.

18 hours ago, Unwoke said:

What’s more American than a Dementia Patient playing President on the 4th of July. Smh…

What a pair!  🤦‍♂️

From the article:

Vice President Kamala Harris went viral on Tuesday for comments she made in Highland Park, Illinois, following the horrific Independence Day parade massacre. 

Just one day after the mass shooting that resulted in seven killed and over 30 injured, Harris visited the northern suburb of Chicago to meet with local law enforcement. 

She made brief remarks to the mourning town. 

"We've got to take this stuff seriously, as seriously as you are because you have been forced to take this seriously," Harris said to the press and Highland Park residents. 

Seriously?

On 7/5/2022 at 5:59 AM, CardinalBacker said:

…than a Trump Supporter shooting up a Fourth of July parade? 

Can’t believe somebody hasn’t already started a thread here filled with “not a single inch” or “where was the outrage during the BLM riots?”

For people that have a lot to say about everything, y’all sure go quiet when one of your boys jumps off of the rails.  

WOW!  Our friends here are proven wrong once again!  From the article:  

"Evidence reveals Crimo is not a Trump supporter.  He makes fun of Trump and his followers in his social media posts.  Crimo attended a Trump event dressed up as ‘Where’s Waldo’ outfit.  This appears to be sarcasm and an attack on President 45 who may also be President 47.

His social media posts appear as if he wants to kill President 47."  Again -- WOW!!

3 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I understand this is what is in the news and could be wrong but given those circumstances, is there anything law enforcement could have done or were their hands tied by no crime and no complaint?

TVC, your thoughts?

It would depend on state law but likely nothing. From reading the articles, by Illinois state law you apparently must have an ID card that allows you to possess a firearm. Since the shooter was under 21 at the time, his father signed off on the shooter’s  ability to possess a firearm and purchase a rifle lawfully.  It was after shooter had made threats of suicide and threatened his family.

The media is naturally seems making a big issue of this. Here are a couple of questions that they should ask if they did real reporting. Although he may have had possession of the rifle a couple of years ago, he was now of age and could have applied for and received the same ID with no official criminal or mental record anyway. Would it have mattered if he purchased the rifle two years ago with his father cosigning or two months ago without that endorsement needed? My answer would be obviously no.

The second question that needed to be asked, could he have bought the rifle unlawfully on the streets since it appears as though he had been planning this for a couple of years? Since this is Illinois, look at the hundreds of shootings every month in Chicago. Are those shootings all with lawfully purchased weapons? Again the answer in probably 99.9% of the cases would be no. Being “unlawful” sure hasn’t stop the shootings. When someone is willing to Murder another person, what law will stop it? 

Which always goes back to what was asked after Uvalde. Can you ever stop a person on a mission who has time to plan his attack?

As far as Texas law, a police officer can take a person into custody for a mental evaluation and the person could be held for up to 72 hours, simply on the officer’s  testimony alone: Texas police officer can also take a person  into the same kind of custody on information given by a credible person. The police officer has no say so on what happens after the person is delivered to a mental health facility howe. In the 15 years that I was on actual patrol duty (then detectives and later supervision), I signed a few mental health commitments. I have seen the treatment of mentally  impaired persons and it described in some cases as despicable. Has it changed today? Locally the governments (county) contracts mental health services. It is been several years since I was on patrol and I’m sure that improvements have been made however….. sometimes when you’re paying people to do an unpleasant tasks, they might be less than willing to do a thorough job. It’s not like going to Market Basket and if they treat people like crap, they will lose all their customers and go out of business.

I will give an example that I witnessed personally. There was a middle-aged man who was really depressed and threatening suicide. He might have been more depressed than anyone I’ve personally dealt with. I signed for a mental evaluation and I brought him to the contract facility. Normally there is a employee who screens the committed person. In my experience, at least at that time, it was not a doctor either as a psychiatrist or a psychologist. On this particular occasion it was during regular business hours like about 3:30 in the afternoon and the head of the facility, an MD/psychiatrist, was actually there. When I was bringing the person in for evaluation, the doctor stop and asked what was going on and I told him. He said that he would screen the man himself. So far the only time in my career, we actually went into the office of the administrator. The man who had threatened suicide was still in handcuffs as an active threat. The doctor asked him this…. Who is the president? The man answered correctly. He was then asked, who was the president before that? The man answered correctly. One more question, what is 100 - 5? The man said 95.

The doctor told me, this man is nor crazy (he actually used the term) , we are not going to accept  him. My response was that I never claimed he was crazy, he was going through a mental crisis. The doctor’s attitude was kind of like, oh well. So in front of the doctor I asked the man in handcuffs, do you feel like killing yourself? He said yes. I said okay, stand up and turn around, I’m taking my handcuffs off right there in a doctor’s office. When the doctor questioned what  I was doing, I told him that my lawful authority had ended because he doctor had just claimed that the man was okay. To keep him in custody any longer would be violating his rights. I then gave my commentary, he will probably run out and kill himself on the street in front of your facility by jumping in front of a car or not maybe grab a hostage. When that happens, I am going to swear under oath that you said he was okay because he knew what 100-5 was. I actually started taking the handcuffs off and the doctor looked like he kind of panicked. He gave me the, hold up a minute. He asked the guy a couple more questions something like how depressed are you and do you feel like you could kill yourself or someone else? When the guy answered, the doctor said that they would except him as a patient. Go figure….

So when you ask, what could law of force when have done? Again it depends on state law but probably like me, they can bring attention to a situation but not being medical professionals, they cannot act on it. That is kind of what the officer in the story you posted was saying. The police can do their job but does that force someone else to do theirs?

And I could give other stories that I personally witnessed. I can assure you this was not an isolated incident at the time. Due to media attention in the last couple of decades, I hope it has improved dramatically but……

I know that even locally, some police departments have dedicated mental health officers and units. I know that they work closely with some facilities.

Should mental health be the responsibility of the police? That is a great debate nationwide but for now I can assure you that the police are in the front line. When something goes wrong, it is the police who get the finger pointed at them. I wish that the media would ask some more in-depth questions and do some serious investigations.

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

And I could give other stories that I personally witnessed. I can assure you this was not an isolated incident at the time. Due to media attention in the last couple of decades, I hope it has improved dramatically but……

I know that even locally, some police departments have dedicated mental health officers and units. I know that they work closely with some facilities.

Should mental health be the responsibility of the police? That is a great debate nationwide but for now I can assure you that the police are in the front line. When something goes wrong, it is the police who get the finger pointed at them. I wish that the media would ask some more in-depth questions and do some serious investigations.

Good posts, I agree that the finger gets pointed at the police if there were earlier interventions claiming that they should have "done something".

If the family won't take any action and no crime has been committed, I don't see much than can be done.  Help for these kind of folks has to start way before these types of events take place and there is still no guarantee it can be avoided.  Folks around these guys can clearly see issues in most of these cases.

Reminds me of situations that police have to deal with regularly in spousal abuse, they show up, sometimes multiple times, and the wife won't press charges.  Later on something bad happens and I can only imagine family and the involved police officers aren't too surprised when it does, while other folks are saying somebody should have done something.

It's a tough problem to prevent tragedies like this and I sure wouldn't want to go down the road of locking someone up because someone "thinks" they are planning something bad.  

6 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Good posts, I agree that the finger gets pointed at the police if there were earlier interventions claiming that they should have "done something".

If the family won't take any action and no crime has been committed, I don't see much than can be done.  Help for these kind of folks has to start way before these types of events take place and there is still no guarantee it can be avoided.  Folks around these guys can clearly see issues in most of these cases.

Reminds me of situations that police have to deal with regularly in spousal abuse, they show up, sometimes multiple times, and the wife won't press charges.  Later on something bad happens and I can only imagine family and the involved police officers aren't too surprised when it does, while other folks are saying somebody should have done something.

It's a tough problem to prevent tragedies like this and I sure wouldn't want to go down the road of locking someone up because someone "thinks" they are planning something bad.  

I know that I could get long winded explaining situations but I could write a book on that topic alone.  

On 7/5/2022 at 11:46 AM, LumRaiderFan said:

10 killed / 62 wounded in Chicago last weekend and not nearly the coverage as this, and this is a problem that can be addressed with no new laws, simply better leadership.

Much harder to convince the low information crowd Chicago is Trump's fault so not nearly the interest from democrats and media.

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

He was photographed wearing a Trump flag like one tacked up on your bedroom wall. 

You did try to convince us that a whole crowd of people holding up cell phones were giving the Nazi salute. I'm still laughing at that one. I don't know (and don't care) the truth of his political affiliation, but given that your credibility on Trump topics is less than zero, I would almost be willing to bet you are disseminating false information.

10 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

He was photographed wearing a Trump flag like one tacked up on your bedroom wall. 

Come on man, he was also photographed wearing women’s clothing. Does that make him a woman? As I said in an earlier post, this POS is the poster boy for liberals.