Fight between driver and backseat passenger leads to fatal shooting in Lumberton

bullets13

Sounds like some folks from Beaumont were just passing through on their way to Silsbee to buy drugs.  I thought it was pretty funny how all of the Beaumont race baiters popped out of the woodworks to sarcastically talk about "get these thugs off the streets", thinking Lumberton's first murder in however long was white people.  Then it turns out it was some hispanics from beaumont, and they all disappeared from the comments real quick.  

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Sounds like some folks from Beaumont were just passing through on their way to Silsbee to buy drugs.  I thought it was pretty funny how all of the Beaumont race baiters popped out of the woodworks to sarcastically talk about "get these thugs off the streets", thinking Lumberton's first murder in however long was white people.  Then it turns out it was some hispanics from beaumont, and they all disappeared from the comments real quick.  

Yea....I called them out.

What I want to know if they are traveling from Beaumont to Silsbee to buy drugs, and they get in an argument, one pulls a gun and the other shoots him "in self defense"......does that hold water while on the way to commit a crime, or do you have to be committing a crime for that not to fly?....or can two people about to engage in a crime claim self defense as long as there is no crime against each other??

TVC??

1 hour ago, thetragichippy said:

Yea....I called them out.

What I want to know if they are traveling from Beaumont to Silsbee to buy drugs, and they get in an argument, one pulls a gun and the other shoots him "in self defense"......does that hold water while on the way to commit a crime, or do you have to be committing a crime for that not to fly?....or can two people about to engage in a crime claim self defense as long as there is no crime against each other??

TVC??

seems to me if they can't arrest you for being on your way to buy drugs, they can't negate your right to self-defense.  because you're not committing a crime, you're on your way to commit a crime.  but who knows.  I've seen a lot of stuff on social media about the possible shooter being some thug who's been involved in two other murders, but I can't verify that.  If I were BPD I'd be setting up some interviews with some folks in the comment sections, though.

4 hours ago, bullets13 said:

That is a relatively common occurrence.

If you see any kind of crime article pop up on the Facebook news sites, you can probably count the seconds before you get a comment like…. “Oh… The race wasn’t mention so they must’ve been white!!!”. 

Oops….

It is like a number of people have comments saved to copy and paste and peruse the sites, waiting to pounce.

32 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

seems to me if they can't arrest you for being on your way to buy drugs, they can't negate your right to self-defense.  because you're not committing a crime, you're on your way to commit a crime.  but who knows.  I've seen a lot of stuff on social media about the possible shooter being some thug who's been involved in two other murders, but I can't verify that.  If I were BPD I'd be setting up some interviews with some folks in the comment sections, though.

For real....

14 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

According to what they were on the way to buy and/or why, it could be a crime.

It is criminal conspiracy for two or more people to agree on an “intent” to commit a felony by at least one person and any one person commits any overt act to accomplish the crime.

So for conspiracy it has to be:

1. A felony discussed with at least two people. 
2. Only one person has to intend to commit the crime. 
3. The other person(s) might just agree to further the crime by an overt act such as getting the other guy(s) a gun to commit a robbery. 
4. The overt act must take place.

So what do we have here? Is any intent to purchase drugs a felony? If it is for a drug like heroin or cocaine, it is because mere possession of those is a felony. If there is quantity felonies such as possession of marijuana in a misdemeanor except  (a) possession of 4 ounces or more is a felony or (b) you have purchased with intent to sell which is a felony.

In this case it appears that you have at least two people in the car intending to go buy drugs. They are committing at least one overt act by getting the money together or making phone calls/texts to set up the deal or driving to the location. Remember that it could be any one person as part of the deal to commit the overt act so if there is a guy in Silsbee who got the drugs ready to sell, that is part of the intent. It does not have to be the guys in the car.

If they were driving all the way from Beaumont to Silsbee just to buy two blunts to smoke and drive back and do nothing more, that is a misdemeanor and technically not a crime until the purchase is made. Maybe somebody would drive from Beaumont to Silsbee to buy a couple of blunts or joints but that seems like a lot of effort to smoke one or two cigarettes. I think there might be a reasonable belief that it might be at least four ounces of marijuana or another drug such as cocaine.

Therefore if that can be proven (conspiracy)  in like the case in Silsbee, self defense might not be a legal option in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

According to what they were on the way to buy and/or why, it could be a crime.

It is criminal conspiracy for two or more people to agree on an “intent” to commit a felony by at least one person and any one person commits any overt act to accomplish the crime.

So for conspiracy it has to be:

1. A felony discussed with at least two people. 
2. Only one person has to intend to commit the crime. 
3. The other person(s) might just agree to further the crime by an overt act such as getting the other guy(s) a gun to commit a robbery. 
4. The overt act must take place.

So what do we have here? Is any intent to purchase drugs a felony? If it is for a drug like heroin or cocaine, it is because mere possession of those is a felony. If there is quantity felonies such as possession of marijuana in a misdemeanor except  (a) possession of 4 ounces or more is a felony or (b) you have purchased with intent to sell which is a felony.

In this case it appears that you have at least two people in the car intending to go buy drugs. They are committing at least one overt act by getting the money together or making phone calls/texts to set up the deal or driving to the location. Remember that it could be any one person as part of the deal to commit the overt act so if there is a guy in Silsbee who got the drugs ready to sell, that is part of the intent. It does not have to be the guys in the car.

If they were driving all the way from Beaumont to Silsbee just to buy two blunts to smoke and drive back and do nothing more, that is a misdemeanor and technically not a crime until the purchase is made. Maybe somebody would drive from Beaumont to Silsbee to buy a couple of blunts or joints but that seems like a lot of effort to smoke one or two cigarettes. I think there might be a reasonable belief that it might be at least four ounces of marijuana or another drug such as cocaine.

Therefore if that can be proven (conspiracy)  in like the case in Silsbee, self defense might not be a legal option in my opinion.

I hear you.  Lots of variables here.  What if the passenger didn't have any money and wasn't going to purchase anything, but was just along for the ride?  Would that change anything?

2 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I hear you.  Lots of variables here.  What if the passenger didn't have any money and wasn't going to purchase anything, but was just along for the ride?  Would that change anything?

Legally in my opinion, yes. I guess you could be a person that rides just for fun to watch your buddy commit a felony while knowing that if you get stopped, you’ll go to prison for the same felony while not intending to use any of the drugs, sell any of them, etc.

It is certainly something that your lawyer can bring up at a trial in your defense. Of course then you’re going to have a hard time explaining why an argument got so heated while on the way to buy a felony amount of drugs that guns started being pointed and shots were fired. Let a jury decide who they believe.

If I remember that fairly recent case in Silsbee, wasn’t there like three people from Port Neches in the car with one of them being a female? Was she actually in on the drug deal or was she driving with a boyfriend? I am fairly certain they charged her.

But… Any part of the law can be used as a defense. 

On 4/18/2022 at 9:02 AM, bullets13 said:

I just screamed when I read your comment. 🤣🤣🤣

20 hours ago, tvc184 said:

That is a relatively common occurrence.

If you see any kind of crime article pop up on the Facebook news sites, you can probably count the seconds before you get a comment like…. “Oh… The race wasn’t mention so they must’ve been white!!!”. 

Oops….

It is like a number of people have comments saved to copy and paste and peruse the sites, waiting to pounce.

🤣🤣🤣

14 hours ago, bullets13 said:

This is the hidden content, please

In the article it says that Johnson was arrested for “felony murder”.

That leaves me with a ……. huh??

There is no such thing as a misdemeanor murder. But….

Within the Murder law in the Texas Penal Code (Sec. 19.02) there is a way to commit Murder without intent. Typically Murder is intentionally or knowingly taking another person’s life. That is fairly straight forward.

There was another part added a few years ago that said if while committing or fleeing from another felony, a person kills someone by committing an act clearly dangerous to human life, it is Murder. An example is running a red light while trying to get away from a robbery, causing an accident that killed someone. That would still be PC 19.02 Murder but what is often called felony murder or killing someone (not intentionally) during or fleeing from a felony.

So….. was this just a media mistake by using the term felony murder, perhaps unknowingly, that meant something different than what he was actually arrested for?

It seems to me that if he shot the guy in the back of the head, that would simply be Murder or intentionally or knowingly taking another person’s life. There would be no accident while committing another felony.

On another note, on a Facebook thread it was mentioned by someone that would likely be in a position to know or have contacts who may know, that the deceased may have been shot several times in the back of the head. If true that might tend to negate a claim of self defense. 

So, is Silsbee the ‘go to’ place for drugs?  Beaumont is a much bigger town.  Not familiar with the illicit drug business, if I had wanted to buy drugs my first place would be Beaumont.  Guess I’m naïve.  Silsbee must be the drug capital of SETX.  Sorry if my comments are offensive to the residents of Silsbee.  On the outside it appears to be a nice town.  Evidently there’s a criminal element beneath the surface, judging by recent events.  I live close by (Evadale) and go into Silsbee often.  I may start going to Vidor.  Just a few more miles, but maybe a tad safer.

10 hours ago, Hagar said:

So, is Silsbee the ‘go to’ place for drugs?  Beaumont is a much bigger town.  Not familiar with the illicit drug business, if I had wanted to buy drugs my first place would be Beaumont.  Guess I’m naïve.  Silsbee must be the drug capital of SETX.  Sorry if my comments are offensive to the residents of Silsbee.  On the outside it appears to be a nice town.  Evidently there’s a criminal element beneath the surface, judging by recent events.  I live close by (Evadale) and go into Silsbee often.  I may start going to Vidor.  Just a few more miles, but maybe a tad safer.

A large portion of the population in Silsbee takes great pride in their notoriety for the sale and use of narcotics. Hence the self-gloss “Smoketown.”  That’s not something I made up, Silsbee people perpetuated that one. 

“It’s the Narcotics Tradin’ Capitol of Southeast Texas.” You know the jingle. 

Honestly, they do seem to have a little bit bigger problem over there than in comparable towns. Of course you can buy it anywhere, but I think it’s just a little easier to find in Silsbee from all appearances. 

8 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

A large portion of the population in Silsbee takes great pride in their notoriety for the sale and use of narcotics. Hence the self-gloss “Smoketown.”  That’s not something I made up, Silsbee people perpetuated that one. 

Honestly, they do seem to have a little bit bigger problem over there than in comparable towns. Of course you can buy it anywhere, but I think it’s just a little easier to find in Silsbee from all appearances. 

I’d seen “Smoketown” used in reference to Silsbee, but naive me didn’t snap to drugs.  Sometimes my 1950 mores are inadequate for what’s going on in our country now.  The Fonz would be a Saint. 😂🤣😂

9 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

So inaccurate.

But not surprised coming from you.

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

So inaccurate.

But not surprised coming from you.

There were a LOT of people who kinda rolled their eyes and went along with it... or actually embraced it culturally.  Not everyone, and not a majority, either, I'm certain, but if it's bragged about enough that people from all of the way down in Orange county know about it, it's not just a product of my bitter imagination.

The part of me wonders if it's a timing issue.  Were the high school kids who really played that thing up 5 or so years ago now moving more weight?  Is it all just a coincidence?  There's no way to know, but it's really not surprising, either.  That's twice in the last year or so that people have left Jeffco and gotten themselves killed trying to buy drugs in Silsbee.

26 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

There were a LOT of people who kinda rolled their eyes and went along with it... or actually embraced it culturally.  Not everyone, and not a majority, either, I'm certain, but if it's bragged about enough that people from all of the way down in Orange county know about it, it's not just a product of my bitter imagination.

The part of me wonders if it's a timing issue.  Were the high school kids who really played that thing up 5 or so years ago now moving more weight?  Is it all just a coincidence?  There's no way to know, but it's really not surprising, either.  That's twice in the last year or so that people have left Jeffco and gotten themselves killed trying to buy drugs in Silsbee.

Winnie has a similar reputation.