Wolfs in SETX???

I've got a place on T-Bend at the back of a cove surrounded by nat. forrest.When they dropped the lake I noticed some very big paw prints along the shoreline.I know they weren't my dogs tracks,and the few people that are around me don't have dogs.I followed them one day just to see where they went.About half mile from my place I came across a small deer carcass,they had a feast.My dog,an 85 lb. retriever, got all fuzzed up while he was sniffing around the kill,and making a low growl.On some nights the yelps and howls coming from the woods across the cove are plum scary,and my dog sits and stares at the other shoreline growling. I don't doubt it at all that there are wolves around there. I've never sighted one, but just by the tracks and the kill,I would bet thats what it was.

I doubt there are any wolves in east Texas, there are some big coyotes though that might pass as a small wolf.  I've heard wolves in Wyoming and there is no mistaking a wolf howl when you hear one, they don't yap and the howl is long and much deeper than a coyote.  Hope they keep them up north.

I doubt there are any wolves in east Texas, there are some big coyotes though that might pass as a small wolf.  I've heard wolves in Wyoming and there is no mistaking a wolf howl when you hear one, they don't yap and the howl is long and much deeper than a coyote.  Hope they keep them up north.

I agree!

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:RvU_Fq31uNoJ:www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/canirufu.htm+red+wolves+in+texas&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:aR5QwbkIkhwJ:www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/GG/tcg1.html+last+wolves+in+texas&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

They may have MOSTLY been eradicated but i have for sure heard them and seen one in east tx up around the apple valley area.  I was mesmerized by the howl so me and a buddy followed it until we crept into the pasture with it and it took off shortly after realizing we were there. It was a beautiful animal, for sure.

WILDFIRE ............I would have thought the same thing up until the point i saw them.  it was just so awesome seeing them like that  i couldn't even think about shouldering the weapon.  Just for the few seconds we got to see.....it seemed like minutes.  I guarentee you, if you were to see them them in there element you couldn't pull the trigger. 

I was a Sr. in high school, about 7 years ago, and we were rabbit hunting deep in the Strahan Woods, between Moss Hill and Batson. There were 3 of us. We were walking around the property when we saw 3-4 sets of eyes at the edge of the pasture along the woodline. They were low to the ground at first, but when they raised up, we were like, "my god, those things are huge!" The eyes were close to waist high, so we were thinking, lets go get us a big coyote. They didn't scare as easily as we thought, and we were able to get within 50 yards or so and we started seeing bodies. They weren't the small, dirty brown colored bodies and we expected and our hearts sank a little. We were clinging to 2 spotlights and an old .22 as we began our retreat. They didn't pursue us, or anything like that, but after we got 100 yards or so away, we heard howling start up behind us, all the while keeping our lights on the ones in front. We were all a little nervous getting away, but had no desire of shooting any of these rare "wolves" as we still call them today.

We got different reactions from our stories from believers to skeptics, but we saw what we saw, and I'll never say anything different. Its like the bragg light in Saratoga, its not dangerous, but if you go down there enough, you will see a yellowish light that can't be explained off in the distance. I'm not selling anything here, I'm just telling the truth as I know it.

I know this is off subject but while walking through the woods looking for a doe i had spoted (during the summer) I saw a black panther which i have been told is not even remotely possible yet with all the people that have seen these animals (including the wolves) you cant convince me that they dont exist.

My dad saw one this past weekend while hunting off 105 between Sour Lake and Bmt.  Said it walked within 30 steps of his deer blind.  Said it had blood all down the right side of his face.  Didn't know if it had been shot or had just made a kill.  Said it looked like an overgrown German Shepard.

Well, so much for my good behavior karma, but - doesn't it seem strange that TPWD has done extensive research and can't find any evidence that wolves still exist in Texas, yet almost everyone on setxsports has seen them.

Well they need to quit going into the field and doing surveys and get on setxsports.com and find the real story. Silly biologists.

I know this is off subject but while walking through the woods looking for a doe i had spoted (during the summer) I saw a black panther which i have been told is not even remotely possible yet with all the people that have seen these animals (including the wolves) you cant convince me that they dont exist.

More than likely it was a jaguarundi.

http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/feliyago.htm

BlackJaguarundi.jpg

Guest beat-em_deep

My great maw maw used to live in Warren and there was a black panther in the woods behind her house. Her neighbor had sheep and about once a month he would find the carcass of one of his sheep drug out of the pin. So he set up a trap and caught its kittens and kept them till they started getting big then let them go and i saw them with my own eyes.

My dad saw one this past weekend while hunting off 105 between Sour Lake and Bmt.  Said it walked within 30 steps of his deer blind.  Said it had blood all down the right side of his face.  Didn't know if it had been shot or had just made a kill.  Said it looked like an overgrown German Shepard.

yea thats exactly what this one looked like a big white and grey german shepard

Guest beat-em_deep

i have a solution lol next time someone sees one shoot it and bring it to a biologist and see what it is then put a pic of it on here for everyone to see!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder