question about Nederlands run game

dme1111

Just curious as a Nederland fan, If our run game is so bad then why not move Gutierrez back to RB. I know it would be a big loss for the Defense, but could it help us on offense more than hurt us on defense?

I would like to see a little more of Paul Roy. I think Bass is the right back for this offense due to his pass catching ability, but he gets arm tackled a lot because of his size disadvantage. I like Guti on defense and special assignments on offense. My guess is that the reason that Roy does not play more must have something to do with blocking and pass catching because he looks is definitely a big and fast runner and only a soph. I am sure the coaches know what they are doing. I do think that we need to find a way to get Paul on the field whether it be at RB, WR, CB, S, or even Bandit.

Everybody seems to question the current RB. With the spread offense, we need a mobile QB. Bellows is a quality QB, but doesnt have the running speed that Sampere owns. This offense needs a running QB for the running game to flourish. We have an average offensive line. The O-line pass blocks above average, but run blocks inconsistently. The seams or creases are far and few between during running plays. I like Guti at RB, but look at his average on running plays. This does not come down to 1 RB on this offensive scheme.  

Everybody seems to question the current RB. With the spread offense, we need a mobile QB. Bellows is a quality QB, but doesnt have the running speed that Sampere owns. This offense needs a running QB for the running game to flourish. We have an average offensive line. The O-line pass blocks above average, but run blocks inconsistently. The seams or creases are far and few between during running plays. I like Guti at RB, but look at his average on running plays. This does not come down to 1 RB on this offensive scheme.  

I agree. Kirby moves around the pocket okay and has done a wonderful job throwing the ball, but he is not a huge threat running the ball. The offense was desgined to take advantage of Sampere's running and throwing ability and to utilize our stable of talented WR's. I think you make a good point about the lack of a running QB in the backfield affecting the overall run game. I am not sure what the answer is to get our running game going. But, I have a feeling we are not going to be a "spread only" team the rest of the season. I think we are going to line up in the "I" more in the coming weeks, but our main offense will continue to be with at least 4 wides. With that being said, I would still like to see a little of Paul Roy whether it be in the spread or the "I". Just to see what he can do on the ground.

P.S.-- On the topic of Bellow, I think he has done an OUTSTANDING job for us. I cannot wait to watch him mature as a QB over the next 2½ yrs. He is really going to be something to watch! Great job by a great young man!

Cameron is an effective running back for the Spread, but the O-Line is lackluster at best when it comes to run blocking. Adrian Peterson couldn't even run with our O-Line. One of the reasons Nederland has moved to the Spread is because of the lack of size and run blocking ability. I will give our line credit for an above average job at pass protection.

From what I understand, Roy has not been giving much effort at practice. I have been told since he is not getting much PT, he feels there is no reason to try hard in practice.

Actually I think that the "spoil" factor is much more than just Mosley. Nederland's bread and butter has always been a good running game mixed with a pass game. We have had some great backs recently in Mosley, Ramoin, LaBove, Sumrall, Driskell, etc. I am sure I may have left some good ones out. I think Neumann knew going into this year that our personel was much more suited for the spread.. i.e. Mobile QB with a good arm and 5 good WR's.

Yeah BHbud, we are really struggling offensively this year.  Starting QB goes down in game 1, soph comes in and has rolled since then... you're right we shouldn't get spoiled.  The best WR in the area, to go along with 3-4 more very good ones.... man we're struggling.

This team loss one game and people say we are struggling, go figure. To be honest, I never dreamed we would be sitting here with only one loss for the season. Losing Sampere was huge but Kirby has come in and the offense didn't miss a beat. The running back in a spread offense better be able to pick up the blitz package and pass protect, other than that, hit the hole hard when asked to run. Bass does all well.

Yeah BHbud, we are really struggling offensively this year.  Starting QB goes down in game 1, soph comes in and has rolled since then... you're right we shouldn't get spoiled.  The best WR in the area, to go along with 3-4 more very good ones.... man we're struggling.

Good point Penny.  I was thinking the same thing.  Ned's been rolling all yr., and after 1 loss they're "struggling"?

I wish we could "struggle" that well.

Guest 87CRU79

Bass is doing the best he can with chances that he's getting. But when you're only averaging 10-15 carries a game behind a suspect O-Line, it's extremely difficult to put up "Mosley" type numbers. Like Mr. Mosley stated earlier, Cameron is your typical RB for the Spread because he can Pass protect and pick up blitzes. I feel like he does an excellent job catching passes out of the backfield, and I also wish that we run the wrap-around draw more often. I get flashbacks of Dustin Driskill when we run that play... ;D

Bass is doing the best he can with chances that he's getting. But when you're only averaging 10-15 carries a game behind a suspect O-Line, it's extremely difficult to put up "Mosley" type numbers. Like Mr. Mosley stated earlier, Cameron is your typical RB for the Spread because he can Pass protect and pick up blitzes. I feel like he does an excellent job catching passes out of the backfield, and I also wish that we run the wrap-around draw more often. I get flashbacks of Dustin Driskill when we run that play... ;D

I agree!

Just curious as a Nederland fan, If our run game is so bad then why not move Gutierrez back to RB. I know it would be a big loss for the Defense, but could it help us on offense more than hurt us on defense?

I really dont think that moving Chris off of the defense would be a good idea, I dont think there is anyone that is ready to replace him and play at the same level. He is one of the key players and a play maker on defense. The defense would suffer without him and I think going both ways would probably be too much to ask. Bass does ok for what they are using him for. If he can just keep ahold of the handle on the football he will be just fine.

the reason I wrote this thread is because I read on another thread that ozen has a good secondary and that we kinda play into there strengths... I was thnking maybe if we had a more threatening run game it would open up our recievers... I agree that Bass does a good job catching passes out of the backfield. He hits the hole very hard and if he can get into the open field he is dangerous.

I know Nederlands Passing game is great, not taking nothing away from that. But They will need to find a better running game before playoffs if they want to make a deep run.  You can't go one demintional against realy good teams. 

i believe that is true soulja

Cameron is an effective running back for the Spread, but the O-Line is lackluster at best when it comes to run blocking. Adrian Peterson couldn't even run with our O-Line. One of the reasons Nederland has moved to the Spread is because of the lack of size and run blocking ability. I will give our line credit for an above average job at pass protection.

From what I understand, Roy has not been giving much effort at practice. I have been told since he is not getting much PT, he feels there is no reason to try hard in practice.

well after watching the game tonight again ill second the above statement now off subject one positive ive noticed is defensively this year the defense is doing a much better job at tackling (not nearly as many arm tackles or tackling high this year)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder