Nederland 40 Central 29

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OUTSTANDING Points PNG92... COULDN't AGREE WITH YOU MORE!

Nothing more should be said on how the game played out at the end!!! Nederland's game is an agressive attacking style right now.  Win the game, that's all that matters.

Okay, my thoughts:

Good job taking advantage of the turnovers early.

Offense was on fire in the first half, got too comfortable in the 3rd quarter, and tightened up in the fourth.

Defense did a great job with the exception of a few big plays and dumb penalties.

The late hit on Central's qb got them started.

The punter was lights out when we needed him.  He pinned them back inside the 15 twice at the end of the game.

Wasn't at the game but have heard different stories of what we should've done in the 4th... one poster says run the ball, now I read we clammed up... what was it????

A little of both I think.  We were too comfortable with the lead when we came out in the 3rd.  If we could have drove down and got one more score, and burned some clock , that would have been the game.  It sounded like they weren't taking as long to snap the ball as before, which is a good clock burner also.  Anyway we got the big win and have another big game next week.  On to png!!

Lots of armchair quarter backs would say if Nederland tried to run out the clock and go 3 and out... why do that, you've been throwing all night.  Don't go into the prevent offense... you have to dance with what brung ya.  We won by two scores against a good football team... please be happy folks... that was a great win.  It is so dang easy to second guess... I enjoy it to.. but please enjoy the win... it was a big one.

;D Good to know that you and I still sing the same songs Penny.  But, there is absolutely NO WAY that you can tell me you thought throwing the ball on those 2 series when ALL you needed to do was burn as much clock as possible was a good idea. Even your rose colored glasses outlook has to see that?

Dont get me wrong. I was ok with sitting on the lead and keeping your players safe and healthy. But you gotta admit that someone had to have zoned out late in the game and forgot to think.  

That's a game Neumann get's paid to play... he's played it pretty darn good for the first half of the season.  Anytime you go into hostile territory... and I'm sure you'd agree there has been none more hostile for the Dogs over the past half decade ... a win is a win.  As HERM would say, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.... BIG FAT PERIOD!!!

We dance again.  I just get confused over what we're supposed to do at times... run, run, punt.  Or open it up?  Seems the story changes at times.  I didn't have an opportunity to see or listen to the game, but sounds like the tide had turned at some point and Neumann tried to seize it back.  I just have a hard time faulting a guy for coaching a team to a road win in VERY HOSTILE territory and nitpicking it to death... that's all.  But hey, like you said, some things don't change.

We hung in there for this victory. Never seen the Dogs play a better half in years, everything clicked.

W Grogan is a playmaker on defense. He was the difference.

Central had terrible clock management late in the game. The Jags can play, if they could pass they could go deep.

Trahan our kicker is a weapon. Bellows had a good game, line blocked well. Our defense laid some hits on Central. Hall is player for the Jags.

That's a game Neumann get's paid to play... he's played it pretty darn good for the first half of the season.  Anytime you go into hostile territory... and I'm sure you'd agree there has been none more hostile for the Dogs over the past half decade ... a win is a win.  As HERM would say, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.... BIG FAT PERIOD!!!

Oh I dont disagree at all.

I just think that this game could have VERY easily been a loss in the last 6 minutes the way it was played out.

If you just look at the last 6 minutes, the Dogs had a 9 point lead and an opportunity to burn the better part of the clock even if they took a knee 3 times and punted. Central had the momentum and was playing well, why would you want to take a chance on giving them the ball with time on the clock? Killing the clock was dumb in my opinion. They did not need to score, they did not need a first down, they just needed to eat the clock.

Im just sayin'. 8)

Six minutes is three possessions if you can't run for first downs at will, which we know we can't, just isn't our strength.  I think it's the same concept as the prevent defense... it just prevents you from winning.  Why not try to get a couple of first downs and ice the game with your offense, since it was obvious that the other team's offense had your defense on the ropes???  That is one way to look at it in my opinion.

We hung in there for this victory. Never seen the Dogs play a better half in years, everything clicked.

W Grogan is a playmaker on defense. He was the difference.

Central had terrible clock management late in the game. The Jags can play, if they could pass they could go deep.

Trahan our kicker is a weapon. Bellows had a good game, line blocked well. Our defense laid some hits on Central. Hall is player for the Jags.

Yep, awesome play in the first half by the offense and the defense.

Grogan is the man, he is a major playmaker. The kicking game saved out bacon.

If this team is allowed to play at 100% for 4 solid quarters, they are going to be hard to beat. They only played 2 quarters and napped for 2 quarters tonight and STILL won, Its really exciting.

Six minutes is three possessions if you can't run for first downs at will, which we know we can't, just isn't our strength.  I think it's the same concept as the prevent defense... it just prevents you from winning.  Why not try to get a couple of first downs and ice the game with your offense, since it was obvious that the other team's offense had your defense on the ropes???  That is one way to look at it in my opinion.

Penny, I dont want to gine the wrong impression. I thought it was a great played flootball game and a pretty good chess game they played. I just thought that one thing seemed sort of dumb they way that Central had taken the "Mo" and had been scoring on every possession.  No big deal, I just thought we were going to lose the game from 4:30 to about 2:30 seconds.

How was our kick off return coverage... speaking of the kicking game?

Very smart kicking game,, they kicked away from Central all night and Trahan was AWESOME in placing punts deep in Centrals territory. The kicking game literally saved the game for the Dogs tonight.

I understand, running the ball to try and eat clock is the typical play, but at some point is you think our offense can make a few first downs throwing the ball, you have to have the giblets to do it.  It may work, it may not, that's just the way it goes, but our offense is not designed to grind it out this year.  We've picked our poison and we've got to ride with it.  We're not going to be able to line up in the I and run for first downs much it doesn't appear.  After 3 unanswered TD's, I want a couple of first downs to ice the game, that's just the aggressive nature of Larry Neumann... I wouldn't call it DUMB, it's just what you get with the guy... and I love it.

I understand, running the ball to try and eat clock is the typical play, but at some point is you think our offense can make a few first downs throwing the ball, you have to have the giblets to do it.  It may work, it may not, that's just the way it goes, but our offense is not designed to grind it out this year.  We've picked our poison and we've got to ride with it.  We're not going to be able to line up in the I and run for first downs much it doesn't appear.  After 3 unanswered TD's, I want a couple of first downs to ice the game, that's just the aggressive nature of Larry Neumann... I wouldn't call it DUMB, it's just what you get with the guy... and I love it.

Did you really just use the term agressive?  Ya know, now that you mention it it WAS agressive. That is rare for our staff to gamble. It really seems odd to hear agressive when they had pretty much punted on first down the whole second half and then all the sudden you get agressive when all you need to do is burn the clock?? ;) 

Dumb sounds bad when you say it. OK, the only thing that honestly seemed "unwise" to use a better term was not burning the clock under the circumstances. Im serious, you could have pretty much taken a knee for 3 snaps and punted on 2 series and secured the win. You did not need first downs, all you had to do was force Central to take one time out and it was pretty much over even if they scored once.

Please dont take my comments too seriously, remember its all for the fun of discussion. Except for the unwise thing of course.  :)

To many mistakes by Central in the first half. And Nederland is Dang good!!!!

Coop you are right. Turnovers killed them. And I think they really screwed up not feeding the ball to Hall more. Had they fed him the ball in the first half like they did in the second, well it would have been a much closer game, forced Nederland to play 2 halves of football and it would not have been unlikely that Central could have won the game. They are a very good football team and I think turnovers and play calling killed them.

Nederland tears up Central

BEAUMONT - Nederland's football team went from playing runaway to playing keep away Friday night.

Operating with precision on both sides of the ball, Nederland stunned Central by running away to a 38-7 halftime advantage. By late in the fourth quarter quarter, however, the Bulldogs had to drain valuable time off the clock to preserve the 40-29 victory that moved them to 5-0 on the season and 2-0 in District 22-4A.

After committing three first-half turnovers and generating very little offense before their disappointed homecoming fans, the Jaguars bounced back with three-straight scores to cut their deficit to 38-29 going into the final six minutes.

The Jaguars did force a quick three-and-out by the Bulldogs, but they were unable to capitalize, having to punt from inside their 20-yard line. Given a second chance to drain the clock, the Bulldogs did so successfully, running off five plays over a span of 3:15 to dash the Jags' comeback hopes.

"Our first half was exceptional," said Larry Neumann, Nederland's head coach. "I can't think of much that we did wrong on either side of the ball.

"I told the players before the game that the way you win big games is to make big plays, play smart and play fast.

"We did exactly that. We ran the ball well; Kirby Bellow threw the ball well; we made some great receptions; our offensive line continued to improve, and our defense played great again."

Nederland's first big play was a fumble recovery by linebacker Chris Gutierrez on Central's second snap after the opening kickoff. The Bulldogs converted that turnover into a 33-yard drive that Gutierrez capped with a 2-yard plunge off right tackle.

Central never got the opportunity to run a play this time as Grant Lovelady crashed through to recover Hykeem Janise's fumble on the ensuing kickoff. The Bulldogs made the Jags pay this time on a 41-yard field goal by Taylor Trahan.

Next big play for the Bulldogs came when Ryan Brady outleaped a Jaguar defender to snag a Bellow pass and then raced 51 yards for the touchdown that made it 17-0 with 3:10 left in the first quarter.

Central finally got untracked on a 55-yard, Patrick Fobbs-to-Derrick Hall TD pass on the first play of the second quarter, but the Bulldogs never flinched. They retaliated less than two minutes later on a 59-yard Bellow-to-Adam Broussard hookup on which Broussard simply outran his coverage down the left sideline.

Central wasted an excellent scoring opportunity when Hall fumbled at the Bulldog 13-yard line and linebacker Jordan Landry made the recovery for Nederland. The Jaguars then appeared to be near the collapse mode a little later when punter Isaiah Wise kicked the ball into a teammate, and Nederland defensive end Wareall Grogan scooped it up and returned it 27 yards for an easy touchdown.

By the time Bellow hit wide receiver Asa Cardenas in stride on a slant pattern for an 18-yard touchdown with 1:19 left in the half, the lead had ballooned to 38-7.

"When you turn the ball over the way we did in the first half, it makes it difficult to win," said Donald Stowers, Central's head coach. "Our first half was lackluster, at best.

"We did come back and show some resolve in the second half. I told the players we needed four scores to come back and win, and we got three. That was encouraging."

Central's second-half scores came on a 5-yard run by Hall, an 11-yard run by Jeffrey Thomas and a 36-yard run by Charles Thomas.

Bellow, who completed six-straight passes over one stretch of the first half, went on to go 14-of-26 for 208 yards without throwing an interception. Cardenas was his favorite target with seven receptions for 74 yards, and Cameron Bass paced the Bulldog ground game with 79 yards on 16 carries.

Charles Thomas was the game's leading rusher with 100 yards on 11 carries, and Fobbs completed 10 of 16 passes for 155 yards for the Jaguars, also without throwing a pick.

Nederland's only score of the second half came when Grogan sacked Fobbs in the end zone for a safety with 1:09 remaining.

Hey Penny, I wish you would stop picking at my posts. I said Nederland should run the ball instead of pass. We didn't need to score, we needed to burn clock and you can't do that with incomplete passes. I was making my points during the game. All of yours are hindsight, which we all know is 20-20. Try to be a thinker when the game is on the line instead of ripping Nederland posters on their way of thinking in the heat of battle. BTW, we ran the ball on the next couple possessions and were successful at burning the clock and the punter did a fantastic job.

Go Dogs!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83