Would You Coach?

Guest Eagle73

Forget details like degrees, etc. If you had the opportunity would you leave your current job and take the Head Coaching job at your home town school? I don't believe I would. Much tougher job than it appears.

Guest kingme2007

I can't wait for some woman to read this thread and say something to the effect of: " If I were coach it would be fair and everyone would play and we would win and we would have fun and then girls would get a chance and I can do a better job and I can and me me me blah blah, etc.

I can't wait for some woman to read this thread and say something to the effect of: " If I were coach it would be fair and everyone would play and we would win and we would have fun and then girls would get a chance and I can do a better job and I can and me me me blah blah, etc.

uh oh - That's not very nice  :'( :'( :'(

To be successful you would...

Probably leave the house every day around 6 AM and not return on most days till 8 PM.

Friday you would pull a 15 hour work day (maybe more depending on the length of the trip.)

You lose at least one day of the weekend, maybe all day Saturday and half a day Sunday preparing for the next weeks practice.

This means you are pulling 100 hour work weeks, Your family only gets you the other 68 hours and you are sleeping in about 60 of those hours.

This is a very demanding job and requires a special man with a special family that understands the obligations.

Most jobs don't have hours any where near this.

Ok, you don't have to wait too long,lol!  This is my perception of a football, baseball, basketball coach.  The best players make the team, the rest learn to try again and that not everyone that goes out for a team makes one.  When under the coaches care (games and practices) the coach gets the undivided attention of the player and no parents are allowed to line the practice field with lawn chairs or to call their kid to the side during a game.  No one allowed in the locker rooms but coaches and players, period.............oh, and the team pastor if there is one.  If there is a problem, they are addressed in a set up time with the coaches in the athletic office and still the coach has the final decision on who fields his team, regardless of who or what you are.  I as a woman do believe that the fairness and everyone plays thing should only work through jr. high, and then the best athletes play the game.  Having said that, no, I don't think I would coach, due to the fact that with the above rules, I wouldn't last long, lol!  

LOL  I knew Cards_mom would hammer down  :o ;D If not her then someother football savey Lady. ;D

No I would not want to be a coach for the reasons stated by purple4ever up there a few posts. Wouldn't mind too much the SETXBroadcasters screaming bloody murder as long as they were smiling, but they would wear me down.

If I did coach I would hire Cards_mom - She seems to have my philosophy on fairness (and  she could also cook the pre game meals and wash dishes) WAIT

I'm just kiddin about the dishes but you would have to cook) ;D

To be successful you would...

Probably leave the house every day around 6 AM and not return on most days till 8 PM.

Friday you would pull a 15 hour work day (maybe more depending on the length of the trip.)

You lose at least one day of the weekend, maybe all day Saturday and half a day Sunday preparing for the next weeks practice.

This means you are pulling 100 hour work weeks, Your family only gets you the other 68 hours and you are sleeping in about 60 of those hours.

This is a very demanding job and requires a special man with a special family that understands the obligations.

And you have'nt even touched on the negatives of all the people saying what you should have done, who you should have played , plays you should have called and all this advice given to your wife in town while she's trying to shop! You were so right to include that it takes a special family.

Most jobs don't have hours any where near this.

Ok, you don't have to wait too long,lol!  This is my perception of a football, baseball, basketball coach.  The best players make the team, the rest learn to try again and that not everyone that goes out for a team makes one.  When under the coaches care (games and practices) the coach gets the undivided attention of the player and no parents are allowed to line the practice field with lawn chairs or to call their kid to the side during a game.  No one allowed in the locker rooms but coaches and players, period.............oh, and the team pastor if there is one.  If there is a problem, they are addressed in a set up time with the coaches in the athletic office and still the coach has the final decision on who fields his team, regardless of who or what you are.  I as a woman do believe that the fairness and everyone plays thing should only work through jr. high, and then the best athletes play the game.  Having said that, no, I don't think I would coach, due to the fact that with the above rules, I wouldn't last long, lol!  

This reminds me of a coach I had in HS named Stocky Lamberson.

One day a school board member with a son on the team requested a meeting with Stocky.

Stocky asked "will I be meeting you as my boss or as a parent?"

The school board member stammered "As a parent."

Stocky replied "Then get the hell outta my office!"

If a person could live on the meager pay and he and his family be tough enough to take all the monday morning quarterbacks it could be a very rewarding job. Reading on this board about all the coaches that have had an effect on people the rest of their lives, man that has to make a coach feel good. But that's a big if.

3 month break?  Most schools get out the first week of June this year. (last week of May last year).  Two-a-days start August 6th.  Coaches (volleyball and football) reported back around July 24.  Where are the three months???? If you coach Basketball, you only get 7 days off at Christmas! I have worked with men who work shift work and they have a lot more time off than coaches do. Some never work more than 15 days in a month.  They deserve everything that they get because they also work very hard.

Let's see.

I love sports, get to wear shorts to work.

You make an average of......$50,000 a year, work 30 years that's $1,500,000.

Health insurance paid for.... $ 3,600 a year, work 30 years that's $  180,000

Life and Dental paid for.......$ 1,200 a year, work 30 years that's  $    36,000

Sick leave ....................... $ 4,200 a year, work 30 years that's  $  126,000

Pension 15% of salary.........$ 7,500 1 year, work 30 years that's  $  225,000

When I retire  I get about 3,000 a month check guaranteed, you would need to

save on your own around $700,000 to produce those numbers.

Yes, I would coach in a NY minute. By the way, from the coaches and teachers I

know they deseve every penny and more.

OK, you got me. Seven weeks vacation and another at Christmas. I suspect if you ask most people they'll tell you about the long hours and other demands of their chosen profession. For the most part coaching is seasonal and the payback is the vacation time. Nothing wrong with that.

And you're right about the 12 hour shift. Sounds like a sweet deal.

Let's see.

Health insurance paid for.... $ 3,600 a year, work 30 years that's $   180,000

Life and Dental paid for.......$ 1,200 a year, work 30 years that's  $    36,000

Sick leave ....................... $ 4,200 a year, work 30 years that's  $  126,000

Not bad. Looks like benefits you would receive at most medium to large corporations in the private sector, with one exception. A degreed professional with 20 years experience you would put a 1 in front of the 50,000.

I like the idea of the shorts to work though.

Let's see.

Health insurance paid for.... $ 3,600 a year, work 30 years that's $   180,000

LOL well I know a lot of coaches and my dad was a coach and your figures are a little off

the average salary is not 50,000 unles you be come a head coach

and most distrcts pay less than half the total health insurance the rest comes from your check

and the districts pay an even smaller percentage of life and dental and vision

and you get no monetary compensation for sick leave

i am not sure what you mean of a pension of 15 % of salary but teachers get a multiplier of .225 of their 5 best years and health insurance comes out of that also.

and if you break down a coaches salary to an hourly rate you would be hard pressed to get it over a dollar an hour.

and for the 6-7 weeks off in the summer must be for programs that dont win most good staffs spend a day or two a week at the field house.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder