SETX referees

Boneyard Boys

1 hour ago, Lions Pride 2021 said:

It's a hard job. Bless them for going out there every week after working a full-time job to go out and referee a children's game and suffer the abuse of parents s who have for the most part never played the game, let alone know the rules. And then suffer the indignity of coaches chewing on their ears for 2.5 hours.

They don't pay those guys and gals enough.

You are correct on all counts above; however, if you’re gonna sign up for that job and accept payment for it, you oughta do the best you can. And if the best you have is not that good, go cut yards on the weekend for some extra money. 

11 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

You are correct on all counts above; however, if you’re gonna sign up for that job and accept payment for it, you oughta do the best you can. And if the best you have is not that good, go cut yards on the weekend for some extra money. 

some are just BAD and can not help it and others are bias/homers.

all the coaches know and will refuse to use them in the playoffs.

most crews suck up to coaches just to get games. it is sad to watch.

nothing will be done about their bad performances or bad behavior.  

On 10/31/2020 at 6:03 PM, Boneyard Boys said:

Let’s play a game, we’ll call it.

Where is the holding?

This is the hidden content, please

it's hard to see from this distance.  I played the clip over and over and the only thing I can see that would have made me throw the flag was HH#7 puts his left arm up and 23 has his hand inside under his pads and arm pit.  7 looks to pull away and maybe he had a handful of jersey?  When the ball carrier comes underneath, 23 had his arm on the outside of 7s right arm and that is what I think the ref saw. Ref was probably watching the ball and switched his vision to the block and saw the blocking player with an arm outside #7 shoulders.  

If the flag wouldn't have been thrown, I don't think anybody could say he was holding from this film.  I couldn't see it from the stands because the sideline blocked my view.

This is not an obvious holding from what I see and, more importantly in my opinion, is not consistent with the calls they were making in this game.

I volunteered to officiate a day of scrimmages years ago.  Just me, one "official".  I told the coaches "Nobody is paying me to do this, its a scrimmage.  If I make a call you disagree with, just roll with me.  I'm not trying to be unfair."  The only call that I got yelled at was a fumble.  The offense claims the kids knee was down and the defense disagreed.  I called it a fumble and reminded the HC's "Its a scrimmage, I'm not a pro."  

After that 8 hour day of officiating, I had a new found respect for the officials.  That is a tough job that I never want to do again.  I forget that sometimes in the stands but I try.

1 minute ago, texbuzz said:

it's hard to see from this distance.  I played the clip over and over and the only thing I can see that would have made me throw the flag was HH#7 puts his left arm up and 23 has his hand inside under his pads and arm pit.  7 looks to pull away and maybe he had a handful of jersey?  When the ball carrier comes underneath, 23 had his arm on the outside of 7s right arm and that is what I think the ref saw. Ref was probably watching the ball and switched his vision to the block and saw the blocking player with an arm outside #7 shoulders.  

If the flag wouldn't have been thrown, I don't think anybody could say he was holding from this film.  I couldn't see it from the stands because the sideline blocked my view.

This is not an obvious holding from what I see and, more importantly in my opinion, is not consistent with the calls they were making in this game.

I volunteered to officiate a day of scrimmages years ago.  Just me, one "official".  I told the coaches "Nobody is paying me to do this, its a scrimmage.  If I make a call you disagree with, just roll with me.  I'm not trying to be unfair."  The only call that I got yelled at was a fumble.  The offense claims the kids knee was down and the defense disagreed.  I called it a fumble and reminded the HC's "Its a scrimmage, I'm not a pro."  

After that 8 hour day of officiating, I had a new found respect for the officials.  That is a tough job that I never want to do again.  I forget that sometimes in the stands but I try.

Yep. I’ve done it. I don’t like it. Lol. 
I don’t want to be a garbage man either, but If I was, I wouldn’t leave trash all over the street and your can tumped over in your ditch! Lol. 😇

I went to the TASO page and found an application tab to become an official.

Seems TASO is looking for sideline officials to actually come onto the field and officiate games from the ground level. Fellas, HS officials could care less who wins or loses your sons ball game. They are sacrificing time away from their families for the love of the game, NOT for the few dollars and have to put up with coaches and fans BS. Ok so you say, "Quit officiating and find something else to do and quit cheating my son." The thing is these POS officials that make horrible calls are doing this for the love of football and being around the sport and doing the absolute best they can. HS officials have NO luxury of Instant Replay like they have in college and pro. For you guys to watch film over and over and try to pick one play apart and still discussing whether the foul is indeed a foul, should see it live from ground level. Its a tough gig for sure. Now we all know there will be that call that will cost your son the game. Been there and done that and it hurts. But if you don't have dedicated officials who work hard for coaches, the fans and the players, we have no Friday night lights.  FYI these officials get graded week in and week out and all want to do a good job for all parties involved. I challenge you guys to get involved and make a difference. Work 4-5 nights a week doing JH, SUB VARSITY and HS ball and use your sideline expertise and knowledge to make TASO better. Have a nice day!

4 minutes ago, LTFALCON said:

I went to the TASO page and found an application tab to become an official.

Seems TASO is looking for sideline officials to actually come onto the field and officiate games from the ground level. Fellas, HS officials could care less who wins or loses your sons ball game. They are sacrificing time away from their families for the love of the game, NOT for the few dollars and have to put up with coaches and fans BS. Ok so you say, "Quit officiating and find something else to do and quit cheating my son." The thing is these POS officials that make horrible calls are doing this for the love of football and being around the sport and doing the absolute best they can. HS officials have NO luxury of Instant Replay like they have in college and pro. For you guys to watch film over and over and try to pick one play apart and still discussing whether the foul is indeed a foul, should see it live from ground level. Its a tough gig for sure. Now we all know there will be that call that will cost your son the game. Been there and done that and it hurts. But if you don't have dedicated officials who work hard for coaches, the fans and the players, we have no Friday night lights.  FYI these officials get graded week in and week out and all want to do a good job for all parties involved. I challenge you guys to get involved and make a difference. Work 4-5 nights a week doing JH, SUB VARSITY and HS ball and use your sideline expertise and knowledge to make TASO better. Have a nice day!

They suck and so does your advice. I usually try to back up my comments with examples and proof, but I just don’t have it in me today. 

On 10/31/2020 at 6:59 PM, Uncle Pig said:

It’s not just setx. I mean who in the hell in their right mind wants to go out there and take that abuse for next to nothing money wise. Those guys can go call peewee games on Saturday mornings and make the same money, and have absolutely no pressure. The bad part about it is it’s only going to get worse.

Well said

44 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

They suck and so does your advice. I usually try to back up my comments with examples and proof, but I just don’t have it in me today. 

LOL thanks for that. You are better suited officiating from the stands and pretending officials are the reason your Lil Joey got his butt beat on the field and would rather blame someone else.  Its ok. Breathe it out!

I guess I look at it this way. I know a guy who used to be a football coach under Shaver at French (won a state championship there) and later Central. When he quit coaching, he began refereeing football and basketball. He was in a good crew that even ref’d many State playoff and Championship games. He has always taken pride in being a good official as have others on his crew. He didn’t use “life” excuses to turn out piss poor work. He’s in his 70’s now, and I enjoy going to games with him where he officiates from the stands. 

12 minutes ago, LTFALCON said:

LOL thanks for that. You are better suited officiating from the stands and pretending officials are the reason your Lil Joey got his butt beat on the field and would rather blame someone else.  Its ok. Breathe it out!

I’ve never pretended that. When my son starts complaining that the refs “screwed” them, I’m tell him to shut that crap up and figure out how to get better so the refs can’t be a factor. You don’t know me or my son or our attitude. You, on the other hand, want to have a group hug and make excuses for a bunch of halfbutts cuz they love the game. Maybe we could all buy them lunch and hold hands and sing praises to them for their unheralded efforts. Or we could say what it really is which is what I have chosen to do. Many crews out their suck out loud and they have no accountability. 

58 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I’ve never pretended that. When my son starts complaining that the refs “screwed” them, I’m tell him to shut that crap up and figure out how to get better so the refs can’t be a factor. You don’t know me or my son or our attitude. You, on the other hand, want to have a group hug and make excuses for a bunch of halfbutts cuz they love the game. Maybe we could all buy them lunch and hold hands and sing praises to them for their unheralded efforts. Or we could say what it really is which is what I have chosen to do. Many crews out their suck out loud and they have no accountability. 

I thought each staff submitted a review for the officials after the game?  I think there is a feedback process.

10 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

Not sure.  I can ask a chapter president that I know.  I never thought to ask.

I kinda already know. It was more of a rhetorical question. The coaching staff has to fill out a detailed complaint including quarter and time and supply video and if it’s egregious enough, something MIGHT be done. 999 out of 1000 times nothing happens (this coming from a retired head coach). 

But hey, these guys love the game. They give up their free time (to get paid) to just be around the sport. So it’s ok if they suck. We should embrace their half-hearted efforts and be ok with mediocrity. I feel another group hug coming on...

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

Hugs Smashmouth! GWESWABA! Hope your bashing of officials on a message board helps the cause! 

3 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I kinda already know. It was more of a rhetorical question. The coaching staff has to fill out a detailed complaint including quarter and time and supply video and if it’s egregious enough, something MIGHT be done. 999 out of 1000 times nothing happens (this coming from a retired head coach). 

But hey, these guys love the game. They give up their free time (to get paid) to just be around the sport. So it’s ok if they suck. We should embrace their half-hearted efforts and be ok with mediocrity. I feel another group hug coming on...

You could make a difference sir! Go join TASO and help them become better. Hell maybe after a few years of being with the org can recruit your own crew and have THE STAND OFFICIAL tell you how bad you and your crew suck! LMAO Have a nice day! PEACE OUT! 

6 minutes ago, LTFALCON said:

You could make a difference sir! Go join TASO and help them become better. Hell maybe after a few years of being with the org can recruit your own crew and have THE STAND OFFICIAL tell you how bad you and your crew suck! LMAO Have a nice day! PEACE OUT! 

But I don’t want to join. Just like I don’t want to work at Whataburger. But if they get my order wrong repeatedly, I feel like I have the right to complain. 

5 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

But I don’t want to join. Just like I don’t want to work at Whataburger. But if they get my order wrong repeatedly, I feel like I have the right to complain. 

understood. The only difference is these officials are calling a football game with a 7 man crew and 22 players going full speed with no help from the booth saying.........throw the flag. Which BTW is why you see late flags at the college and pro level. Also, I have also cussed officials at the hs, college and pro level and they all must suck as well. LOL cuz they miss crap at that level as well. 

5 minutes ago, LTFALCON said:

understood. The only difference is these officials are calling a football game with a 7 man crew and 22 players going full speed with no help from the booth saying.........throw the flag. Which BTW is why you see late flags at the college and pro level. Also, I have also cussed officials at the hs, college and pro level and they all must suck as well. LOL cuz they miss crap at that level as well. 

I’m gonna take it down a notch. They do miss crap at all levels, and you are right, it is a thankless job. That being said, how do we get better officials at least at the varsity level? Pay them more? Probably. Hold them to a standard? Definitely. My sole intention is not to just bash the referees, but I have seen some really horrible game changing officiating. Just saying well they don’t get paid enough and they’re tired isn’t good enough. Some kids count on football to get them through college. 

14 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I’m gonna take it down a notch. They do miss crap at all levels, and you are right, it is a thankless job. That being said, how do we get better officials at least at the varsity level? Pay them more? Probably. Hold them to a standard? Definitely. My sole intention is not to just bash the referees, but I have seen some really horrible game changing officiating. Just saying well they don’t get paid enough and they’re tired isn’t good enough. Some kids count on football to get them through college. 

Dude I get it. I have been through this twice with both of my boys playing college ball. I totally understand the frustration. Its not about the pay is really what I am getting at. People do NOT want to officiate and those that get into it, usually don't last because there is so much criticism on these guys. The film get reviewed weekly, coaches give their writeups, crew chiefs respond, and they try to learn from mistakes. Its really up to that official to give 100% for the kids, coaches and all the parents involved. There are some crappy officials that are collecting the little 100 bucks and dont really take pride it what they do. But for the most part, most of the officials I know live and breathe it and officiate to their best ability. Again, I totally understand your frustration. Hugs! LOL