WO-S OC

wosmustangs

Personally, I don't think the article should have been written. On a board like this, it's expected that people are going to air grievances and discuss what is irking us. A tiny percentage of fans read this (and similar) board(s). The paper is likely in the neighbor's yard next door.

I hate that it comes across as a personal attack when we push for a change. I know from countless different people that Coach Crouch is a really great guy and probably even a great coach. But offensive playcalling in crucial situations has hurt the Mustangs - more than just the average "coaches are human" type of bad playcalls that anyone is apt to make. I doubt that many hard-core WO-S fans on either side of this issue will disagree.

I know several who defend our OC publicly - even privately - out of loyalty and even genuine respect for what he DOES bring to the team. But those same people will agree that the timing and frequency of the bad calls have been a pretty significant part of our "early exits" (meaning earlier than we SHOULD have bowed out) - and that it is a particular area of weakness.

Obviously the kids have benefitted from his guidance and support. I'm sure there are many ways that he has helped build our success. I would think that, if it were acceptable to all parties, it would be great if he stayed on board in a non-playcalling capacity. I realize that Toby is at Lee and can't do anything about the 2007 Stangs (who I think will be just fine and have the potential to shock 3A). I would like to see him have a chance to run the offense for a few years.

Personally, I don't think the article should have been written. On a board like this, it's expected that people are going to air grievances and discuss what is irking us. A tiny percentage of fans read this (and similar) board(s). The paper is likely in the neighbor's yard next door.

I hate that it comes across as a personal attack when we push for a change. I know from countless different people that Coach Crouch is a really great guy and probably even a great coach. But offensive playcalling in crucial situations has hurt the Mustangs - more than just the average "coaches are human" type of bad playcalls that anyone is apt to make. I doubt that many hard-core WO-S fans on either side of this issue will disagree.

I know several who defend our OC publicly - even privately - out of loyalty and even genuine respect for what he DOES bring to the team. But those same people will agree that the timing and frequency of the bad calls have been a pretty significant part of our "early exits" (meaning earlier than we SHOULD have bowed out) - and that it is a particular area of weakness.

Obviously the kids have benefitted from his guidance and support. I'm sure there are many ways that he has helped build our success. I would think that, if it were acceptable to all parties, it would be great if he stayed on board in a non-playcalling capacity. I realize that Toby is at Lee and can't do anything about the 2007 Stangs (who I think will be just fine and have the potential to shock 3A). I would like to see him have a chance to run the offense for a few years.

Lots of apples being compared to oranges here, but a "civilian" on a local chatboard is a MUCH better place to discuss offensive strategies, than the local newspaper printing such a scathing article. Hats off to you wos92 for your strong opinions and I also feel the newspapre article will do more damage than good

(Also thanks for the reply to Lumberton on the Dayon-Friendswood Thread. It made my day ;D ;D ;D)

The fact is you have done better with Randy Crouch than you would have done without him!  PS.  Ask around and find out who really called the reverse on the goal line against Giddings>  You might be surprised at what you find.

If memory serves correctly, the reverse happened just outside of the red zone - not on the goal line. The goal line plays were a few passes, a pitch and a QB sneak on fourth down from the shotgun.

I couldn't possibly sit in the booth or on the sidelines and call a game on offense or defense. That's why I don't do it. Having said that, I do think it's unfortunate that I can sit in the stands like my fellow "wannabes" and say, "This isn't going to work"... and it doesn't. Almost every time it's uttered, it's true. My only issue is playcalling. The kids are well prepared and educated about the system. They are fitted into it perfectly. Kudos on those jobs very well done. Playcalling has hurt us. If it's wrong to come out and state something so simple and obvious after more than eight seasons of sitting back and watching it continue, then I'll certainly shut up.

If memory serves correctly, the reverse happened just outside of the red zone - not on the goal line. The goal line plays were a few passes, a pitch and a QB sneak on fourth down from the shotgun.

I couldn't possibly sit in the booth or on the sidelines and call a game on offense or defense. That's why I don't do it. Having said that, I do think it's unfortunate that I can sit in the stands like my fellow "wannabes" and say, "This isn't going to work"... and it doesn't. Almost every time it's uttered, it's true. My only issue is playcalling. The kids are well prepared and educated about the system. They are fitted into it perfectly. Kudos on those jobs very well done. Playcalling has hurt us. If it's wrong to come out and state something so simple and obvious after more than eight seasons of sitting back and watching it continue, then I'll certainly shut up.

i'M WITH YOU HOMIE.

At least Gabe had the balls to put his NAME on his article. All the other pot bangers are hiding behind a screen name.

Everyone knows my name ;D

I just think that we are blowing something that is "entertainment" to us ex-players, out of proportion. Come on guys, lets be part of the solution, not feeding the fire. Call me biased again, but if we would have had a kicker last Saturday, there wouldnt even be a discussion about an OC. Just be proud that we live in Texas, and have the opportunity to watch these "rising stars" play. Would I be a coach?? Well heck yeah. Thats why I try not to be as critical. Have I been frusturated with a few play calls? Sure, but I understand the stress and the complexity of the job. JMO take it or leave it.

I just think that we are blowing something that is "entertainment" to us ex-players, out of proportion. Come on guys, lets be part of the solution, not feeding the fire. Call me biased again, but if we would have had a kicker last Saturday, there wouldnt even be a discussion about an OC. Just be proud that we live in Texas, and have the opportunity to watch these "rising stars" play. Would I be a coach?? Well heck yeah. Thats why I try not to be as critical. Have I been frusturated with a few play calls? Sure, but I understand the stress and the complexity of the job. JMO take it or leave it.

I totally agree with you kicker, except for what I put in bold in your post. I still think you would have some( you know who you are ) come on here stating " That freaking OC can't get us in the endzone, so we have to settle on fieldgoals! Get rid of him!!"

I totally agree with you kicker, except for what I put in bold in your post. I still think you would have some( you know who you are ) come on here stating " That freaking OC can't get us in the endzone, so we have to settle on fieldgoals! Get rid of him!!"

Because he's right. You have no clue! Your Silsbee, i'm Central stay out of it.

Soooo... did you make that call? I honesty think that Coach Hooks would LOVE for you to work with his kickers. I could be wrong, but I think he would welcome the offer.

Can we find someone better than Kicker?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You were stuck with me then, and your stuck with me now. Im like a bad VD, you cant get rid of me. ;D

Ahhhh... I could hear Cornel already......Gosh dangit Thibodeaux...are you trying to get me fired.....again?  :D