BIG SANDY SUMMER BASKETBALL

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DickVitale

Well you know with all that TRADITION in Big Sandy and all... ::)... (barely containing my laughter)..(still holding it....) OK LOL LOL LOL LOL...Could not hold it in any longer!  ;D...

Guest DickVitale

Come on kid, lighten up.  You must admit that Big Sandy is not exactly what you would call a basketball powerhouse....Heck, Big Sandy is not even a power-apartment!! ;D...I'm just joking....Good luck to Big Sandy in 08!

Come on kid, lighten up.  You must admit that Big Sandy is not exactly what you would call a basketball powerhouse....Heck, Big Sandy is not even a power-apartment!! ;D...I'm just joking....Good luck to Big Sandy in 08!

Have to disagree.  I know you like to put down the lower classifications, and thats fine.  But at least know of what you speak.  Big Sandy might not be a "powerhouse" right now, but they have an EXCELLENT basketball tradition.  Thye played in the state title game 5 years in a row from 1951-1955, winning one.  This was at the same time when Buna was winning those state titles.  They then won State in 57 and lost in the title game in 58.  I believe they were regular playoff contenders in the middle 80's and lost in the state title game to Paducah and Will Flemons in 88..  And they have had some really good teams over the last decade( losing to eventuall champ Tenaha in 03 in reg. finals) and been to playoffs i think the last 4 or 5 years. 

So  thats 7 state tournament trips, 2 state titles, and numerous playoffs appearances.  Thats pretty good basketball tradition in my book.

Guest DickVitale

IF they accomplished those feats, and I will check, that was AGES ago!....You know very well that Big Sandy has NO BASKETBALL TRADITION...Lets just be true to ourselves here...Like I said, maybe there will be one started...maybe..But its not likely. ;)

Do you understand what makes tradition and history- things that happen in the PAST.  Doesnt matter if it happened ten years ago or fifty, it still counts.  If that is not a good basketball history, then please tell me what is by your standards.  Not everyone can be a Snook or Nazareth or Canyon(girls).

Guest DickVitale

OK let me take you to school my friend....Having a tradition means KEEPING up the tradition...examples: in Basketball- PA Lincoln, Fort Worth Dunbar, Snook, Beaumont Ozen, Kountze, Hardin Jefferson.....Football- West Orange Stark, Odessa Permian, Southlake Carroll, just to name a few....You don't neccesarily have to win a title every year, but, when you are a tradition rich school, you will have a say in who does...EVERY YEAR...Thats tradition my friend. ;)

Keeping up the tradition?  Having a say in who wins every year?  Well, that would eliminate about half of the schools you just listed.

Permian hasnt done anything in at least a decade, if not more.  Though they are improving.  When did WOS last win state?  1987, the year BEFORE Big Sandy lost in the state game. 

Snook?  They got hammered at state in 05 and hadnt been a factor since their 80's title run.  I wouldnt say these schools are having much of a say in who wins state each and every year.

I think we are arguing Big Sandys basketball tradition.  You say they have none, i disagree.

Guest DickVitale

Who's BASKETBALL tradition would you put Big Sandy's up against?  HJ? Heck no...Ozen? Forget it.....Kountze? Nope....You cannot compare Big Sandy to ANY high powered basketball, tradition rich school...You are a loyal fan though, I must admit! ;)

Guest DickVitale

I played at Houston Madison and we have not missed the playoffs in 27 years!! NEXT!! We went 4 seasons without losing a district game!! Won 7 straight district titles at one point... NEXT!! 15 Consecutive 20 win seasons!! NEXT!! TRADITION...... ;) Trust me when I tell you that I know TRADITION..

Oh Dicky V.  I have no affiliation with Big Sandy whatsoever.  However, your darn right their tradition is every bit as good as Ozens.  I know you cant and wont recognize that, but simple math proves it.  And yes i know Ozen is new school.

I, originally wasnt trying to "compare"  Big Sandys tradition to anyone.  You started that.  I was just correcting your misguided opinion of Big Sandy.  I wondered how anyone could dispute their success after giving you the facts about their past basketball history.  Then i remembered reading your thread on the other site about all time great players, teams, etc.  and realized no matter what i tell or prove to you, your not gonna accept it.  

Fair enough.  I know i am right.  Big Sandy has a very good basketball history/tradition.  Simple as that.  

Guest DickVitale

Every bit as good as OZEN'S????? :D (Laughing hysterically)  Are you crazy? When was the last time Big Sandy even won district?  Do you realize that in 10 years of existence Ozen has lost 3 district games??? yes 3.  The last loss was in 2004, when they were "down" and still won the district finishing with an overall record of 27-7....Yes, that was a "down" year...Come on man, please....You cannot be that naive. :o

I played at Houston Madison and we have not missed the playoffs in 27 years!! NEXT!! We went 4 seasons without losing a district game!! Won 7 straight district titles at one point... NEXT!! 15 Consecutive 20 win seasons!! NEXT!! TRADITION...... ;) Trust me when I tell you that I know TRADITION..

Now Dicky V i want you to correct me if i am wrong.....................since you like to compare and since you know TRADITION:

State Titles

Big Sandy- 2

Houston Madison- 2

But yet, according to you, BS has no history or tradition.  Right.  Do you think you might be a little biased towards your own schools?  Just maybe?  You dont have to answer that.

You made a statement that was uninformed.  Admit it.  It will be ok.

Every bit as good as OZEN'S????? :D (Laughing hysterically)  Are you crazy? When was the last time Big Sandy even won district?  Do you realize that in 10 years of existence Ozen has lost 3 district games??? yes 3.  The last loss was in 2004, when they were "down" and still won the district finishing with an overall record of 27-7....Yes, that was a "down" year...Come on man, please....You cannot be that naive. :o

You are unbelievable.  I am not the one who wants to compare schools here Dicky.  But oh well.

Why are you trying to compare a school that has only been in existence for 10 years to a school that has been around at least 70.  Doesnt logic tell you that the school with 70 years of playing basketball might have a longer, more distinguished tradition?????  Oh, unless you worked at Ozen and cant have an unbiased opinion- that would be you.

Do i think in 20 years Ozens tradition will be better than BS.  Probably.  But thats not the point.  Your original statement in this thread said BS had no tradition.  I gave you FACTS to prove you wrong, and now you want to start comparing schools because you realized  your mistake and are trying to dodge it.  Funny

Guest DickVitale

Big Sandy won in the 50's and 60's!!!  Houston Madison opened in 1969!! What are you saying?  Apples and Oranges....So you are saying that your little school who hasn't won in 50 years has as much tradition as HOUSTON MADISON?? Come on, man!! :o...Poll Big Sandy's head coach and ask him where he would rather be??? Poll ANY coach for that matter...Big Sandy or Houston Madison.....Just ask him, and be sure he is being honest...A 5A powerhouse, or some one horse town, class 1A school....NO BRAINER. ::)

Big Sandy won in the 50's and 60's!!!  Houston Madison opened in 1969!! What are you saying?  Apples and Oranges....So you are saying that your little school who hasn't won in 50 years has as much tradition as HOUSTON MADISON?? Come on, man!! :o...Poll Big Sandy's head coach and ask him where he would rather be??? Poll ANY coach for that matter...Big Sandy or Houston Madison.....Just ask him, and be sure he is being honest...A 5A powerhouse, or some one horse town, class 1A school....NO BRAINER. ::)

There you go again Dicky.  This thread has now been headed in about 15 different directions thanks to you.  Now youve moved us on to polling coaches and asking them where they want to work???????????????????  Whatever.

Again, wasnt trying to compare BS to any other school.  You started that by bringin up Ozen and i then said BS has history every bit as good as theirs.  Common sense tells you that, but i realize we are not dealing with common sense here.  No one is comparing BS to your beloved Houston Madison.  However, to say that Madison has basketball tradition and then turn around and say BS doesnt, well thats just plain...............(fill in the blank).

Guest orangeman

This will be my one and only post regarding this topic. As a coach, I know better than to even get involved in this. However, my respect for Coach Foster and the Big Sandy basketball program has gotten the better of me. I'm not saying that Big Sandy's tradition of basketball excellence is superior to Madison's or anyone else; however, if Big Sandy doesn't have a strong basketball tradition, then I don't know anyone who does. Much respect to Coach Foster, his staff, and the entire Big Sandy basketball program. There are hundreds of schools, big and small, who would like to have the continued success that you have.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder