will lamar get a football team again?

It would seem that a plan is in the works since they are adding women's soccer and women's softball, plus putting $10 million into Cardinal Stadium, there just hasn't been any announcement yet.

We need another women's sports in addition to Soccer and Softball.

I think it will be Women's Swimming.

Support for the program will be key - both in season ticket sales and sponsorships.

I agree lamar had some pretty decent teams in the 70s.

I can remember going to the games and they would only have around 10 or 11 thousand people at the game.

I would love to see the people get out and support the program with sellouts year after year.

No other women's sport is needed, that's why they added soccer and softball. I would also agree an anouncement is coming in the near future.

"Football really requires three women's sports - soccer, softball and an additional sport," Simmons said. "Of course we've already started soccer. We don't know exactly what that third sport would be, but we do have a swimming facility on campus that's NCAA-ready. It meets the size requirements and so on. ... There is some interest in swimming on the high school levels (locally); they're just club teams."

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18212337&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=583964&rfi=6

Maybe 2 womens sports for FCS, and 3 for FBS.

Guest coachacola

Looking at some of the other SLC and CUSA schools, most have 6 men's teams and 8 women's teams.  Lamar already has 6 for men and 7 for women (counting soccer).  Assuming football and softball is added, that's 7 mens and 8 womens.  If they keep men's tennis then they'll probably need a women's swim team.  But that's 7 for men, 9 for women, more than most schools.  I doubt Lamar can afford that.

Guest coachacola

No clue, I don't have any connections.  But from what I've gathered from all the articles and forums I've read an announcement this summer seems the most likely.  I could be totally off base on this, but all the actions and statements by Simmons and Tubbs seems to indicate football is indeed coming back.

No clue, I don't have any connections.  But from what I've gathered from all the articles and forums I've read an announcement this summer seems the most likely.  I could be totally off base on this, but all the actions and statements by Simmons and Tubbs seems to indicate football is indeed coming back.

Lord i hope!

Guest coachacola

I think August would be a good time to announce the return of football to Lamar.  Everyone will have football on their minds with football season about to begin and fall classes at Lamar starting soon.  That would get everyone in the area excited about Lamar football and the local HS football players will start thinking about playing at Lamar!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder