Varsity Players go from Varsity game to play in JV Game

Guest WB42

Just curious, what rules govern underclassmen dressing out for a Varsity game and then going to play in a JV game that had not ended?  PNG did it today.  If there's no rule against it, then maybe there's an ethical issue.  Players in the PNG JV dugout had to give up their jersey's for the Varsity players to play.  If I were the parent of a player who had to give up their jersey I would be hot. They were not listed on the lineup and the wrong name was even called out.  I would hate to see this become common practice throughout the District. 

There is no rule against them doing that, nor is it unethical as long as those players stay within the game limits. 

(17 games plus three tournaments) or

(19 games plus two tournaments) or

(21 games plus one tournament)

or just 23 games

If they "just dressed out" for the varsity game, that does not necessarily mean that they are varsity players, it might mean they are jv players that dressed out for a varsity game.

Then it its off to the jv game to play.  The part about taking someones jersey off of their back is very questionable though.  If it were my son, I would tell him to tell the other kid that the only way he would play in his jersey would be to take it off of his back.

Guest K-911

Those players have played on the JV all year and have recently been pulled up to varsity. They have not played in any of the varsity games. The sit the bench for "insurance" against injury.

The players who played in the varsity game, have been doing exactly what the forum before this one said. They are simply insurance. They have had no playing time on varsity yet, which is understandable varsity has a really great team this year. The closing pitcher did not take a jersey from another player. He sat in the dugout to watch his team, he didn't have his jersey with him. The coach told him he might close to find a jersey. The kid siting the bench offered him his. It wasn't like he walked in and asked for someone's jersey.

There are a number of teams with underclassmen on Varsity for insurance who do not get playing time.  They're still Varsity players when assigned to that team and will receive credit for that game.  I assume the PNG players must be credited for two games yesterday.  I understand moving players up and down between games, but not during games.  If a player dresses for the Varsity game and is not on the official lineup handed in prior to the JV game or you were "given a choice which game to play on that day(Varsity or JV)" (quote from a PNG JV player)  you shouldn't be added to the lineup in the middle of the JV game if you chose Varsity.  Nederland's coach handled it with class and determined his team would play and win anyway.  It was more than the closing pitcher, There were at least three players who batted or played that were dressed for Varsity.  I do not provide names because the players did not do anything wrong.  The coaches did!  PNG would have been complaining if Justin Richard, Jordan Pitts, Adam Broussard, and Trey Terracina, would have shown up and played for Nederland.  Quite frankly it's not even the issue of whether they were suited for Varsity.  The bottom line is if your not on the lineup at the start of the game you shouldn't play.  Otherwise every team in district can start adding ringers or players in a middle of a game.   

Being on the lineup card doesn't count as playing, you actually have to play in the game for it to count. As stated earlier, each player has a set # of games for the season. Don't know the schools or the situation, but if the team or players(all players)  knew what was going on before hand then what is the problem? This happens alot, more in smaller schools, but it does happen.

I don't have a dog (or Indian!) in this argument, but I see no problem with what occurred.  Varsity is first priority, thus the insurance players. If the players don't play in the varsity game, they have every right to get playing time if the coach deems it necessary.  There are no promises in high school sports.  I hear the same type arguments when coaches are criticized for playing underclassmen ahead of upper classmen.  If you don't someone to play ahead of you, be the better player.

This is one of the worst arguments I've seen in a while........How many JV state championships have been won????  How many times has a JV team gone to the playoffs?????  Neither one of them happen.........How many coaches actually care if your JV team is in the district lead????   Do you thank a coach is going to say............. you know what our varsity team went 2 and 25 this year but it was a productive year for us as a whole because the JV went 15 and 5.........All they want is for the in-between guys to get at-bats and play out in the field.......That's it!!!

Ringers???  are we serious.......Coaches need their yungers to play.....That is the reason you have 'Sub' Varsity..........Why would you want to keep kids from getting better just cause they are left off a 'Sub' Varsity lineup card..........Heck, they are ALL SUBS!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder