***Week 5 SETXsports.com Baseball Rankings***

Released by MIF04

SETXSPORTS.COM BASEBALL ‘TOP TEN’

WEEK FIVE

It was a week of big wins and tough losses for some of our area teams.  An even bigger week looms ahead:  Silsbee at Bridge City…Huffman at Barbers Hill…Vidor at PNG…Nederland at LCM.

It may be a day late, but here it is nonetheless:  Our Week Five “Baseball Top Tenâ€:

1.   BRIDGE CITY

The Cardinals hold on to the top spot courtesy of a 3-0 week, including a ‘shouldn’t have been this hard’ win vs. HF, the expected run rule vs. WOS and then a Saturday matinee over Kelly.  Chase Warner had 2 HRs for the Cards who face a tough week ahead:  @ HJ on Tuesday (this could be the Hawks’ last stand), home on Friday vs. Silsbee (game of the week?) and then another Saturday game against #10 Buna.  By the way…why do they play Silsbee twice before they even play Jasper once?

2.   BARBERS HILL

The Eagles continue to dominate their district, outscoring last week’s opponents 31-1.  OF Colby Townley is now at 6 HR (1 off the area lead) as BH is simply thrashing their opponents.  A key matchup looms this week as they host Huffman on Tuesday night.  Hales vs. Listi? 

3.   PORT NECHES GROVES

The Indians remained undefeated in district play with a 7-3 win over archrival Nederland and a 10-1 victory against Lumberton.  The mound duo of Harrington and Flores has been ‘nails’ throughout district play and there is no apparent reason to think this will change…although the Pirates from Vidor will try to do just that when they come a callin’ on Tuesday night. 

4.   WEST BROOK

The Bruins spent last Friday night in their own ‘personal heck’, losing again at Baytown Sterling…this time on a walk off homer in the bottom of the 7th.  They did pound the Ganders from Lee earlier in the week and remain poised to secure their playoff spot in 21-5A but Friday brings another tough road game…at perennial district power, Humble.

5.   SILSBEE

What a difference a week makes…certainly if you’re the Tigers.  Friday night’s come from behind 6-3 win over Jasper was huge.  Staff ace Joel Schooling hung tough after falling behind 2-0, kept his team in the game and then let the bats do the work late.  They host the Bobcats from OF on Tuesday in preparation for a ‘revenge’ game on Friday at Bridge City.

6.   LCM

The Bears squeaked by…one run wins against both Ozen and Dayton.  But that’s the point, isn’t it?  Just keep winning.  Which is exactly what Griff’s 2007 edition is doing.  The host a desperate Nederland team on Tuesday before traveling to Lumberton on Friday.  Expect Tuesday’s game to be (ahem) intense.

7.   VIDOR

Probably no one needed a win more than the Pirates did last Friday, outlasting Central 14-9.  This came on the heels of a 14-11 loss to Dayton and the injury to star SS VJ Bunner.  While there is no doubt that Coach Green needs VJ back, what he really needs is for his pitching to step up and keep the proverbial dam from breaking.  A tough week looks with a trip to undefeated PNG and a home tilt vs. Ozen (who is bound to win a game sooner or later, right?).

8.   JASPER

Up 2-0 late in their game against Silsbee, it was 2006 all over again:  Silsbee rallies and Jasper loses 6-3.  This was no doubt a bitter pill for the Bulldogs who had hoped to rid themselves of last year’s sour taste.  Coach Mixon can take comfort this week with ‘should be’ wins against Kirbyville and OF.  Then they can look forward to Bridge City.

9.   HUFFMAN

The Falcons 4-1 win against Forest Brook leaves a lot to be desired after the week prior’s loss to New Caney.  They have a prime opportunity to make a huge statement on Tuesday when they travel to Mont Belvieu to tangle with the Barbers Hill Eagles.  This game should be worth the drive.

10.   BUNA

Another 2-0 week for the undefeated Cougars.  They have but 1 district game this week (Anahuac) but do have a special Saturday game… a ‘looking for some respect’ game at Bridge City. 

ON THE LIP, OUT OF BOUNDS AND WHO KNOWS?

The Dayton Broncos claimed win vs. Ozen and Vidor before dropping a 5-4 decision to LCM.  They have Central and Nederland this week.  Nederland won the battle of the “0-fers’ when they defeated Ozen 3-0.  They are hanging by a thread in that district.  HJ has BC this week and need a win desperately to claw their way back into the race while Ozen has fallen to the ranks of irrelevant.  Whew…and we thought they might be a playoff team.

Good luck to all this week.  And we’ll be on time next week…I promise.

now this weeks rankings make sense, jasper loses so they should drop.....i didnt understand why jasper dropped last week.....

There is 18 inches of vacuum being pulled on Bridge City and West Brook, therefore Jasper is being pulled down a bit.  It's a natural occurence that happens withing the Golden Triangle.  ;D ;D

Please explain this last statement bh-89. I have no idea what you mean.

It was meant to indirectly imply the poll is biased towards Bridge City and West Brook.  PNG has had to work their tails off to get a little respect and BH has dominated everyone and they still refuse to move them back to the #1 spot, where they deserve to be.  Heck BH has rune rule almost everyone they have played and only allowed a few runs in a LOT of games.     

I bet last night in Vegas 3 to 1 favorite...PNG wins the district.:) I'm totally BH biased, but geez will somebody in our district show up to play...'cause it has not been all us...And please quit saving your aces... it ain't working...I rather play some of those SE teams...win or lose, least we will get tested....Starting to get bored. :)

"The Eagles continue to dominate their district, outscoring last week’s opponents 31-1. "

Count update the Eagles have know outscored their district opponents 72-6 in 5 games :o Averaging 14.4 runs a game!! ;D

I agree with Wildcat...very weak district...But BH has played well outside of district...Two of the three losses by one run. Two of the three losses to state-ranked 5A teams. No question though, there is plenty of talent on the team. Really hard to tell if we are ranked to high or if we are that good. I'm hoping we are that good.

>:(

Buna is 13-2, and 6-0 in District they should be in the the top 5 rankings. Cmon

I think the top 5 is a little extreme. To actually be in the top 5 all of those teams could compete with each other.  So if Buna can prove that they can compete with BC on saturday then I might change my thinking and consider them in the top 10.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder