High school coaches adapt to social media communication

DannyShapiroBE

8 minutes ago, CougarCal said:

Is it just me, but doesn’t 15 seem awful low for the number of offers to the top recruits in that area?

Not sure the 'offers' are accurate.  I know one young man on that list who shows no offers.  To the best of my knowledge, he's gotten two offers, albeit not from any big schools.  Personally, I can't believe Lamar hasn't shown any interest in this young man, but I'm no college scout or coach.  Based on what I know, I suspect many others may have offers from small or private colleges.

18 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Not sure the 'offers' are accurate.  I know one young man on that list who shows no offers.  To the best of my knowledge, he's gotten two offers, albeit not from any big schools.  Personally, I can't believe Lamar hasn't shown any interest in this young man, but I'm no college scout or coach.  Based on what I know, I suspect many others may have offers from small or private colleges.

Exactly. Especially with small schools, I have to rely on players to keep me updated, especially if they don't tweet them out.

Not a big fan of social media being so closely integrated with HS sports. Too much opportunity for bulletin board (and newcast) material.... as BC knows all too well  

Nothing good comes from players jawing with other teams online. I think that Silsbee’s troubles late in basketball season were created and magnified on social media. 

Ive heard of college programs having assistants whose role was to monitor players social media accounts... and players were required to “befriend” a team rep (no private accounts) or risk their position on the team. 

I get coaches embracing social media for communicating team info more easily. But it’s kinda like praising a coach for stopping by a house party to remind the kids about practice because “that’s where the kids are.”

jeez, I’m getting old.