Why Do Some Tear Up?

Hagar

Why do some of us tear up, or get goose bumps to a song or at an event, while others just ho-hum along?  In my youth, we thought it unmanly to cry, and hid our tears when Old Yeller was shot (heaven forbid anyone see you cry).  It was considered girlish, effeminate.  Still is by a lot.  I confess I do.  Use to wish it weren't so, but as I've gotten older, I wonder if it's not a gift.  Was listening & reading the lyrics to Danny Boy, and it cured dry eye lol.  Oh, and for your edification, it was written by a father, to his son going off to war.  A situation I've been in, so maybe that's why I respond to it.  Enjoy.

48 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Why do some of us tear up, or get goose bumps to a song or at an event, while others just ho-hum along?  In my youth, we thought it unmanly to cry, and hid our tears when Old Yeller was shot (heaven forbid anyone see you cry).  It was considered girlish, effeminate.  Still is by a lot.  I confess I do.  Use to wish it weren't so, but as I've gotten older, I wonder if it's not a gift.  Was listening & reading the lyrics to Danny Boy, and it cured dry eye lol.

Have always loved that song and that is a beautiful rendition.   And I'm with you pal.  And I believe the following except of a speech we've all heard contains "words to live by."  

4 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Have always loved that song and that is a beautiful rendition.   And I'm with you pal.  And I believe the following except of a speech we've all heard contains "words to live by."  

That's a man after my own heart.  Profound, thanks for that post.

Yes, those gals can sing.  Heard/knew the first verse, but that's the first time I've heard (read) the words to the second.  Btw, had I made a proposition about this post,, and it had been taken, I'd won a bet

Well, I'm just to inquisitive.  The story in my original post about a dad writing it to his son is wrong.  Though now associated with the Irish, a Limey (Englishman to you young folks), Frederic Weatherly wrote it, to a different melody.  His Irish born sister in law, in America, sent him a copy of it to an old Irish tune.  Weatherly liked it so much he modified the lyrics to fit the rhyme and meter.  He even had a version for men to sing, substituting Eily Dear, but alas, Danny Boy is the only one sung now.  It's thought of as a Parent to his son going off to war, because of, "the pipes, the pipes, are calling, from glen to glen", but no one knows for sure.  I will quote what Elvis said about it, "It was written by an angel".

i must have a little Irish blood in my Heinz 57 mixture.