Crosby v. Vidor (Stallworth 7pm 11/10)

Cougtalk

13 minutes ago, Red Dawn said:

10-4. I'll quit messing with you all. I know you all are fired up but I got fed up with reading how your kids play for each, how much your coach cares about them and this being the secret to success. As if we just roll out a bunch of athletes that don't work hard and love each other and play for a coach they respect and love. I found that very disrespectful. Not bc your proud of your kids but bc of the insinuation that Vidor has the monopoly on good kids and caring coaches.

My honest opinion is that I think Crosby wins this game. I think our run defense will make things difficult for the slot T. I do agree that Vidor runs it very well tho and your kids play very hard. If Crosby gives away possessions (penalties, turnovers, onside kicks) & our offense doesn't execute better, Vidor can win this game. Basically, like I've said this will be an epic battle. 

I hope for several things:

1) A good, clean game that can help to heal some of the historical wounds between these two great communities. 

2) Safe travels for all to Stallworth

3) That both team's fans understand that both teams coach's and players have sacrificed blood, sweat and tears to get to this point.

4) That everyone remembers that these are kids and we should support them, not criticize them. 

5) BTH out of the Vidor Pirates. 

Agreed, Except for 5. Regardless of what some posters say on this forum. I promise you Coach Matthews respects your kids, coaches and your football program. I never seen a more humble coach and he try's his hardest to teach humility to his kids. Should be an electric atmosphere next Thursday Night!

11 minutes ago, Realville said:

Agreed, Except for 5. Regardless of what some posters say on this forum. I promise you Coach Matthews respects your kids, coaches and your football program. I never seen a more humble coach and he try's his hardest to teach humility to his kids. Should be an electric atmosphere next Thursday Night!

That's what I've heard about him. Agree. Should be a great night. I just hope it's a positive electricity and not a toxic one from either team or fan base. Good sportsmanship can start between the adults here. 

Heres to a good, clean epic battle. 

26 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

For whatever reason the Chronicle isn't keeping the box scores like normal this year. It's hard to say but I do know after playing Manvel, Heights and BH the starters had only given up 1 rushing TD in the first three games. I would say starters have given up 6 or 7 rushing tds on the year without having completes stats to check. 

That's great.  Indicates Vidor will double the number of rushing TD's in one game.  I envy you 14.2, Thursday, you're going to see a team that puts the rush in rushing.

17 minutes ago, REBgp said:

That's great.  Indicates Vidor will double the number of rushing TD's in one game.  I envy you 14.2, Thursday, you're going to see a team that puts the rush in rushing.

If Vidor can double the number of rushing tds they deserve to win. Playoffs are about coaching and matchups though. I think Crosby puts on a defensive clinic against the slot-t. Despite what Vidor fans may think Port Lavaca Calhoun runs the slot-t better than any 5A team in the state, you can check their resume and verify that. 

PLC was in a district with Foster, Angleton and George Ranch and had played all of them relatively close running the slot-t. The only offensive TD they ended up scoring was on Crosby was a long pass late in the game against the backups. We didn't have an assignment lapse the whole contest in the run game. Similar personnel to what we had then if not better, defense is also heating up like it was at that point in the season. 

10 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

If Vidor can double the number of rushing tds they deserve to win. Playoffs are about coaching and matchups though. I think Crosby puts on a defensive clinic against the slot-t. Despite what Vidor fans may think Port Lavaca Calhoun runs the slot-t better than any 5A team in the state, you can check their resume and verify that. 

PLC was in a district with Foster, Angleton and George Ranch and had played all of them relatively close running the slot-t. The only offensive TD they ended up scoring was on Crosby was a long pass late in the game against the backups. We didn't have an assignment lapse the whole contest in the run game. Similar personnel to what we had then if not better, defense is also heating up like it was at that point in the season. 

Sounds like you got it all figured out. Y'all should win. I'll text Coach Matthews an tell him not to even put the kids on the bus.

55 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Did a little fact checking.  The game you're referring to was in 2014.  And PLC was 6-5 when y'all played.  Verify?  Compare the points they're scoring with what Vidor's put up.  They don't run the Slot T as well as Vidor's JV.  You pick one game out, from two years ago, against a 50-50 team.  You gonna have to do better than that hoss.  You ain't seen bad yet, but it's coming.

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

Did a little fact checking.  The game you're referring to was in 2014.  And PLC was 6-5 when y'all played.  Verify?  Compare the points they're scoring with what Vidor's put up.  They don't run the Slot T as well as Vidor's JV.  You pick one game out, from two years ago, against a 50-50 team.  You gonna have to do better than that hoss.  You ain't seen bad yet, but it's coming.

Oh dang. get em!

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

17 minutes ago, Vpirate02 said:

Oh dang. get em!

;-)

9 hours ago, REBgp said:

PLC would've been 6-4 because of the district they were in.  GR, Angleton, and Foster from that year I would say is somewhat (by a lot) better than PNG, PAM, and Central(2016).  But that seemed so long ago(2014).  It's pretty simple, the coin toss, it's going to be heads or tails, the team that wins the flip will take the ball first to set the tone.  VIDOR is going to do what they do and if Crosby plays discipline and attacks the offense it'll be a great night for the Coogs, if they sit back and wait and play on their heels, it's going to be a long night.  I'm pretty sure there's a BH and PNG vs VIDOR tape out there.  Good luck to both teams, safe travels, and for my old buddy 06, #GOCROSBY!

11 hours ago, Red Dawn said:

That's what I've heard about him. Agree. Should be a great night. I just hope it's a positive electricity and not a toxic one from either team or fan base. Good sportsmanship can start between the adults here. 

Heres to a good, clean epic battle. 

Kudos to you Red Dawn.  I enjoy your post.  You don't put the other team down, and even hand out attaboys to them when warranted.  Some on here go a little overboard.  Haven't seen the Pirates play since their loss to Angleton in 2011, but I'm hoping I get to this one.  Ditto on your post - Good sportsmanship and a good clean epic battle.  And I'll add, no injuries.  Heck, I might even burn a few calories hollering at the refs :) 

8 minutes ago, CougarCal said:

PLC would've been 6-4 because of the district they were in.  GR, Angleton, and Foster from that year I would say is somewhat (by a lot) better than PNG, PAM, and Central(2016).  But that seemed so long ago(2014).  It's pretty simple, the coin toss, it's going to be heads or tails, the team that wins the flip will take the ball first to set the tone.  VIDOR is going to do what they do and if Crosby plays discipline and attacks the offense it'll be a great night for the Coogs, if they sit back and wait and play on their heels, it's going to be a long night.  I'm pretty sure there's a BH and PNG vs VIDOR tape out there.  Good luck to both teams, safe travels, and for my old buddy 06, #GOCROSBY!

A good accurate analysis of Thursday nights game.  I'd expect a pretty large crowd too.  It has all the ingredients for a durn good football game.  Go Pirates :) 

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

Kudos to you Red Dawn.  I enjoy your post.  You don't put the other team down, and even hand out attaboys to them when warranted.  Some on here go a little overboard.  Haven't seen the Pirates play since their loss to Angleton in 2011, but I'm hoping I get to this one.  Ditto on your post - Good sportsmanship and a good clean epic battle.  And I'll add, no injuries.  Heck, I might even burn a few calories hollering at the refs :) 

Exactly. Good clean sportsmanship between the two teams. Refs are fair game!!! :-)))))

17 hours ago, Red Dawn said:
17 hours ago, REBgp said:

I will say that many of the Crosby post are almost verbatim to many of the PAM post prior to last nights game.  And although I've never seen either team play this year, just looking at the game post, yes the Coog DB's will be doing more than their share of tackling.  What I keep hearing from those Vidor has defeated is, "we missed to many tackles".  I'd assume that's due to the hard running of the Pirates RB's.  And "our defense is fast" seems to play into the Pirates wheelhouse.  To defend the Slot T does not require speed.  It requires discipline.  The discipline to not use that great speed, but to stay home on D.  I'd bet PAM has as much speed or more than Crosby (and that's not a put down, PAM is very fast), but those fast kids couldn't stay home.  Their defense is use to attacking against today's modern O's, and it works, as I'm sure Crosby's does.  But it doesn't work against the Slot T.  If the Coog D doesn't stay at home, you probably lose.  If they do, you probably win.

Question hoiw many rushing TD's have PAM given up this season because the Cougs have given up 5 in 10 games and 2 were against porter. It really fills like our defense loves to go big and play smash mouth football. Now not even close to the same offense i'll admit but the cougars have been outstanding versus run heavy teams. (NC, Splendora, Heights, hell even Manvel.) All those teams gave up on the run at some point (minus NC who looked scared to throw it on Friday.) I think this game has the same feel i had before Splendora if yall get ball first get up by a score or two it's going to be very hard to win . Conversely if the opposite happens it's going to be a run away train. Defense is going to be important in this one. 

15 hours ago, REBgp said:

So if you want to go there why don't you check cedar parks record at that point as well... you will see your ridiculous post means nothing

GO COUGARS!

16 hours ago, REBgp said:

Here's another fact check for a team that doesn't run the slot-t as well as Vidor's jv.  Yeah, they were 6-5 when we played them just like Crosby was 6-5 after losing to Vidor in 2011. PLC's playoff record for the last decade under Richard Whitaker starting in 2015 going backward: 1st round, 2nd round, semis, 2nd round, 3rd round, 3rd round, 4th round, 3rd round, 2nd round and 2nd round. Vidor has one first round win in 54 years. 

Did you honestly compare them to Vidor's jv on a public forum?  Post like that are why people stareotype SETX and why someone like me would be seen as belittling a town for posting those stats. If Vidor was in a district with Angleton who blew them out to last meeting, state champion George Ranch and top ten ranked Foster they would've finished .500 too. Judging from how many games you said you've watched you ain't seen bad either. 

26 minutes ago, #CodeRedCoog said:

So if you want to go there why don't you check cedar parks record at that point as well... you will see your ridiculous post means nothing

GO COUGARS!

Go there?  Where?  I was responding to a post that implied Crosby would stop Vidor, because the Coogs had stopped PLC and they ran the Slot T better than anyone.  Not being familiar with PLC, and thinking Crosby must have played them this year, I went to see their record.  Imagine my surprise when I found the poster was talking about a 6-5 team in 2014.  All that explains why I didn't check out Cedar Park.  If you want to check out a team, check out Bremond.  

8 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Here's another fact check for a team that doesn't run the slot-t as well as Vidor's jv.  Yeah, they were 6-5 when we played them just like Crosby was 6-5 after losing to Vidor in 2011. PLC's playoff record for the last decade under Richard Whitaker starting in 2015 going backward: 1st round, 2nd round, semis, 2nd round, 3rd round, 3rd round, 4th round, 3rd round, 2nd round and 2nd round. Vidor has one first round win in 54 years. 

Did you honestly compare them to Vidor's jv on a public forum?  Post like that are why people stareotype SETX and why someone like me would be seen as belittling a town for posting those stats. If Vidor was in a district with Angleton who blew them out to last meeting, state champion George Ranch and top ten ranked Foster they would've finished .500 too. Judging from how many games you said you've watched you ain't seen bad either. 

You remind me of the PAM poster who said they had stuffed Baytown Lee and they ran the Slot T.  So y'all beat a team that runs the Slot T in 2014.  What's your point?  You lost to the Slot T in 2011.  But this isn't the same Pirate team, nor the same Crosby team.  This is 2016.

You think I belittled a town because I said the Vidor JV runs the Slot T better than the PLC Varsity team of 2014?   Because I made an opinion?  You're to twisted for color tv.

32 minutes ago, Silsbee92 said:

Oh man is this shaping up nicely.

Time to gas up and make a trip south to Stallworth Stadium.  

Silsbee is playing Friday so I can go to this one.

Expecting a heckuva game.  Besides, maroon and white goes good with black and gold (and my wife says I can't match colors lol).

12 minutes ago, BHFAN said:

BH will be there supporting our District Champs Thursday! No way Vidor stays on the field with the Coogs this time. Great win for Vidor againt PAM, but youre season will end like it started with a 21-5a beat down.

Thanks for the support. We are the home team. Will try to return the support Friday night.