Port Neches-Groves 34 Lumberton 14/FINAL

WOSgrad

Everyone has there own take on a game.... Mines usually the non rah rah version........

Offensively, I thought PNG  showed moments of greatness, and moments of struggle....

R.J. took over on a few drives, and struggled on a few... For a sophomore, hes a beast.... O Line needs a little work, Lumberton was in the backfield on several occasions.. But overall was above average.

Defense played well, still giving a ton of cushion on the corners.. A lot of good hitting from the LBs and safety. They are not the biggest or fastest group, but seem to do a good job of keeping us in the game.

Special teams are brutal.... That is the understatement of the week.. Missed FG. Muffed punt.. Missed XP. Kickoffs out of bounds.... WOW...

We have a ton of room for improvement. So IMO the sky is the limit. R.J. took over in the 4th. Hes super quick. We could use some work on the zone read, but that will come with time.. For a game 3 we showed some good things.

Everyone is knocking K.M... What people need to understand is that his presence is making everyone around him better.. Last year Sullivan looked better because safeties rolled on Giblin.. This year they are rolling to K.M. Lumberton was in a cover 2 all night, until the end when they dropped into a prevent.

Play calling was good, my only beef was with the 4th and 3 field goal attempt.... With the special teams issues, R.J. might have been the better choice, but it was the right call...

As for Lumberton.....

I just cant see them beating PAM, Nederland, or Central for a playoff spot. I think someone posted they are a blue collar team that plays hard. I agree with that.. They did not kill themselves and did not have a ton of penalties and turnovers. Babin made a good adjustment after the half and it resulted in a TD because PNG had to adjust.. Babin made good adjustments after the half, but he knows his kids.. Hes just not working with a ton of D1 talent.. I did kinda wonder why he did not use his timeouts on the last PNG touchdown, but I am sure he knew what he was doing. On the plus, the field is nice and the upgrades sure make it a much nicer place to play.. Props to LISD for the halftime salute to the local first responders. I surely wont beat a dead horse anymore on the Raiders.. Good luck for the rest of the season...

PN-G grades are easy for me...

Offensive line... Solid C

Offense... Solid B-

Defense... Solid B

Special Teams... Solid D

Bye Week could not come at a better time IMO.... We can build off this win and try to get ourselves to eliminate some of the mistakes, and work on special teams every hour of the 2 weeks.......

9 hours ago, jeter said:

What is going on with the PNG kicking game?

It needs work.  They need to focus in the kicking game during the bye week. It could very well cost us a game in the near future. Last couple of years, the kicking game has been sub par for the NDN's which is a head scratcher since we seem to be competitive in soccer year in and year out. 

7 hours ago, Gabe said:

PNG defense forced 6 4th down stops and limited Lumberton to 184 yards. That is all you need to know about this one.

Oh and maybe also the fact Roschon had 5 touchdowns, again. The kid is good.

I told someone else that 6th 4th down stops in one game needs to be in the record books thats a crazy stat

Anyone who knows Riggs knows he is goofy foot. He can kick that ball, I just think it's because he is goofy foot. There was a few bad throws and one was at these kids ankles he was trying to recover from getting so low that's how it got fumbled. Reschon threw a perfect pass to Keynel I don't know how he couldn't catch it! Our offense line needs to hold them and BLOCK. All these penalties are no good either. I knew I heard twice maybe three times our center getting them. I know that was a problem with him last year as well. I think they did well last night. I had no idea Lumberton thinks we are their revivals anybody know since when?

3 minutes ago, PNG2720 said:

Anyone who knows Riggs knows he is goofy foot. He can kick that ball, I just think it's because he is goofy foot. There was a few bad throws and one was at these kids ankles he was trying to recover from getting so low that's how it got fumbled. Reschon threw a perfect pass to Keynel I don't know how he couldn't catch it! Our offense line needs to hold them and BLOCK. All these penalties are no good either. I knew I heard twice maybe three times our center getting them. I know that was a problem with him last year as well. I think they did well last night. I had no idea Lumberton thinks we are their revivals anybody know since when?

I don't think anyone from Lumberton has claimed that. I've seen a few neutral people joke about how we are yalls new rival, but I wouldn't claim that until we actually win one or two in a row lol

13 minutes ago, PNG2720 said:

Remeber the center just came of injury he is only playing in his frst game back.

Just talk to Roschon  he was upset because he felt like they left 21 points on the field    due to the two turnovers and the dropped a touchdown pass. They wanted all of their points. They have plenty of time to work out their kinks  like the penalties and zone read fumbles. O line could get work too. Go tribe though!

17 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

Just talk to Roschon  he was upset because he felt like they left 21 points on the field    due to the two turnovers and the dropped a touchdown pass. They wanted all of their points. They have plenty of time to work out their kinks  like the penalties and zone read fumbles. O line could get work too. Go tribe though!

Agree with 100 percent, I have noticed your brother and Hughes are their own personal toughest critics. Shake and bake is what I call them. Both incredible readers of the game. 

26 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

No doubt about the 21 points.. Actually may have ended up 18 points since our special team struggles!! However, these are things that can be corrected.. A W is a W, anyway you can get it. Bye week is going to help.. Game time will help as well... Nothing like game reps.... O Line needs to get it together.. That is a coaching issue........... Special teams is a coaching issue....... All can be worked out.............. We need some work on the zone read. It just takes time with the QB and RB on pulling or keeping. Roschon did do a great job of getting on the loose balls.. But the fact remains, we are only going to get better.... I would much rather be sitting talking about improving after a decisive win, vs, losing... It will get better as time goes... Still early....

39 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

A good winner is one who is happy, but never satisfied. Great young man!

6 hours ago, Stattrax said:

Everyone has there own take on a game.... Mines usually the non rah rah version........

Offensively, I thought PNG  showed moments of greatness, and moments of struggle....

R.J. took over on a few drives, and struggled on a few... For a sophomore, hes a beast.... O Line needs a little work, Lumberton was in the backfield on several occasions.. But overall was above average.

Defense played well, still giving a ton of cushion on the corners.. A lot of good hitting from the LBs and safety. They are not the biggest or fastest group, but seem to do a good job of keeping us in the game.

Special teams are brutal.... That is the understatement of the week.. Missed FG. Muffed punt.. Missed XP. Kickoffs out of bounds.... WOW...

We have a ton of room for improvement. So IMO the sky is the limit. R.J. took over in the 4th. Hes super quick. We could use some work on the zone read, but that will come with time.. For a game 3 we showed some good things.

Everyone is knocking K.M... What people need to understand is that his presence is making everyone around him better.. Last year Sullivan looked better because safeties rolled on Giblin.. This year they are rolling to K.M. Lumberton was in a cover 2 all night, until the end when they dropped into a prevent.

Play calling was good, my only beef was with the 4th and 3 field goal attempt.... With the special teams issues, R.J. might have been the better choice, but it was the right call...

As for Lumberton.....

I just cant see them beating PAM, Nederland, or Central for a playoff spot. I think someone posted they are a blue collar team that plays hard. I agree with that.. They did not kill themselves and did not have a ton of penalties and turnovers. Babin made a good adjustment after the half and it resulted in a TD because PNG had to adjust.. Babin made good adjustments after the half, but he knows his kids.. Hes just not working with a ton of D1 talent.. I did kinda wonder why he did not use his timeouts on the last PNG touchdown, but I am sure he knew what he was doing. On the plus, the field is nice and the upgrades sure make it a much nicer place to play.. Props to LISD for the halftime salute to the local first responders. I surely wont beat a dead horse anymore on the Raiders.. Good luck for the rest of the season...

Offense... Solid B-

Defense... Solid B

Special Teams... Solid D

Bye Week could not come at a better time IMO.... We can build off this win and try to get ourselves to eliminate some of the mistakes, and work on special teams every hour of the 2 weeks.......

Fair assessment.  Both teams have room for improvement and I believe both WILL get better.  A lot of folks are questioning our 4th downs on offense. It's always easy to question play calling when it doesn't work. I'm willing to bet if we watched film with the team, we'd see one or two missed blocks on each of those failed attempts. Make those blocks and maybe we convert half or more of those. We all know O-Line is where graduation hurt us the most. But game reps and good coaching will get them ready in a hurry.  

4 minutes ago, CAL2TEX said:

Got to hand it to the Lumberton crowd  - shouting "PN-G RIP" in the 3rdQ when the game was tied 14-14 was clever.  

Lumberton fans are very supportive of their team.  I think Lumberton is going to pull an upset or two this year in district.  Good luck to the raiders.

That's what made it so clutch. The set up was great. It's looks like Lumberton has a legit chance and then.... All hopes are dashed by a TD pass to Hughes . SilEnce from their side while Cherokee blares and our crowd goes wild. Nail in the coffin with last 2 scores

7 hours ago, Stattrax said:

As for Lumberton.....

Offense... Solid B-

Defense... Solid B

Special Teams... Solid D

Definitely agree on the comments about K.M.. He is invaluable to the PNG team, no matter what he is doing. Grateful he's an Indian. 

49 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

This is the hidden content, please

Beautiful stadium hats off. we just need Nederland to get some of those retirees to quit voting down every bond that says anything to do with sports and turf their field. Not sure about Vidor maybe one day they will as well