Most Surprising Shutout

Hupernikomen

There were several this week.  Five of them stick out to me.  Which one is most surprising to you and why?

WO-S 42-0 over Nederland

Woodville 55-0 over CC

EC 56-0 over Kelly

Warren 12-0 over Huntington

Orangefield 45-0 over Buna

All five of these games tell us quite a bit about what to expect this season.  But the WO-S dismantling of Nederland is very startling to me.  Sure WO-S has better Nederland through the years, but Nederland has certainly been right up there with the best in the Golden Triangle for many years now.  This score really shocks me.

None of the above.  Most surprising to me was Newton shutting out Kirbyville (followed closely by OF shutting out Buna though).  Not because Newton isn't extremely good but I expected the Wildcats to get on the board for sure.  The WOS and EC shutouts didn't surprise me at all. I probably would have predicted EC to shut out Kelly and I thought Nederland would have great difficulty moving the ball against an experienced, talented WOS defense. 

28 minutes ago, Eazy said:

For me, it's Woodville.  Regardless of why,  seeing Corrigan ever lose like that is surprising.  Very interested to see how Woodville does against Madisonville next week.  

Do you know anything about Madisonville? I know they weren't very good last year, and that they lost 22 seniors from last year's team. Outside of that, I know nothing about them.

Most surprising shutout to me was Episcopal over Ozen. Walker and Wilson looked like men, especially Wilson but I was surprised Ozen didn't have a single playmaker on the field. Heck of s lot different than those Jeff Nelson teams used to look. Ozen looked uninterested in playing football. 

I was high on Vidor but they looked better against WOS than they did against BH. I've officially move previously 0-27 Baytown Lee into playoff contention in 22-5A. Guys in the neighboring district took some serious arse whippings this weekend. 

I know the game was cancelled but Lumberton, Ned, Vidor and Ozen combined for a total of 6 points opening weekend. Throw in Livingston losing by 28 to New Caney and you can assume there's going to be some bad football played in 22-5A this year. Luckily PAM is there to save the district. 

My understanding was that madisonville played a bunch of sophomores last year, and have most everybody back.  Spread offense.  New coach this year who won 4 state championships at Mart.  They beat Diboll this week.  I'm leaning with Madisonville against Woodville, but not sure now.

25 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Most surprising shutout to me was Episcopal over Ozen. Walker and Wilson looked like men, especially Wilson but I was surprised Ozen didn't have a single playmaker on the field. Heck of s lot different than those Jeff Nelson teams used to look. Ozen looked uninterested in playing football. 

I was high on Vidor but they looked better against WOS than they did against BH. I've officially move previously 0-27 Baytown Lee into playoff contention in 22-5A. Guys in the neighboring district took some serious arse whippings this weekend. 

I know the game was cancelled but Lumberton, Ned, Vidor and Ozen combined for a total of 6 points opening weekend. Throw in Livingston losing by 28 to New Caney and you can assume there's going to be some bad football played in 22-5A this year. Luckily PAM is there to save the district. 

This is definitely thee week to make this assumption

4 minutes ago, NDOMAKONG said:

This is definitely thee week to make this assumption

The most surprising to me is Ozen, I thought based on athleticism alone they would be able to get the corner two or three times and score 14-21 on Episcopal. Most disappointing was definitely Nederland though. I say it's the most disappointing because it's the hardest to explain considering the teams involved.

31 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

This is when you know that a district is going to hell. You know that a district is crap when a team that just snapped a 27 game losing streak is being considered for playoff contention.

31 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

This is when you know that a district is going to hell. You know that a district is crap when a team that just snapped a 27 game losing streak is being considered for playoff contention.

25 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The most surprising to me is Ozen, I thought based on athleticism alone they would be able to get the corner two or three times and score 14-21 on Episcopal. Most disappointing was definitely Nederland though. I say it's the most disappointing because it's the hardest to explain considering the teams involved.

WOS defense is "that" good, you had to see where Ned was in that scrimmage.   The defense played fairly well, just on the field all night.  Forced 4 or 5 punts/stops, something to build on

6 hours ago, Hupernikomen said:

Newton shutting out kirbyville isn't that big of a surprise for me.  Kirbyville isn't what they were a few years back.

Maybe Nederland isn't either.

Yeah Woodville beating a traditional power like that was impressive.  

Kirbyville LOSING wasn't a surprise because like you mentioned, we're not where we have been in recent years. But you can bet we're still gonna be good enough year in and year out to be a contender so getting SHUTOUT was a surprise. For me though, hands down, the whipping Woodville gave CC was the biggest surprise. 

3 hours ago, WildcatBacker said:

Kirbyville LOSING wasn't a surprise because like you mentioned, we're not where we have been in recent years. But you can bet we're still gonna be good enough year in and year out to be a contender so getting SHUTOUT was a surprise. For me though, hands down, the whipping Woodville gave CC was the biggest surprise. 

No doubt Kirbyville is still plenty talented, but Newton shutting out a team of equal size never is a surprise to me.  They are just that good.  Looks like Kirbyville kept it respectable at least.