CROSBY vs MANVEL

Cougar14.2

Looking forward to this game! Great to see coaches set up big time match ups in pre-district play.

Manvel lost a lot, and Crosby returns some great players. Crosby's offensive strength - its running game - has been a weak spot for Manvel's D. Manvel has a new DC and a new defensive scheme (3-4). A big NT, a very good DE, and three junior LBs that we're starting by the end of last season are all solid. Front 7 should be very good. Other than Tucker, the defensive backfield is pretty new. So run D may actually be a strength for Manvel this year (don't laugh), and pass D is unproven. Going with Howard at QB and Netherly at WR could be a good move for Crosby, although Howard will likely face quite a bit of heat in the backfield. Could be tough for a sophomore making his first start, but having Netherly and Hill both running routes could be a big advantage for Crosby if the OL can give Howard enough time.

I suspect Manvel will rotate QBs between a senior (Goodman, #17) and a junior (Martin, #12, coach's son). I think one will take control by midway through game 2, but look for a rotation in the first game. 

Everyone knows Manvel lost a ton of offensive D1 talent. It's actually just over 1800 lbs if you add them up. But Jalen Preston (Jr., #5) is right up there with the best WRs to come through Manvel yet. And last year's leading WR is back also. Caleb Jolivette at RB has shown he can convert his state track 100m talent into football moves. 

Crosby has some very impressive talent, especially at RB and WR. Looking forward to seeing them. 

Not sure if the predictions of a big Manvel win by some are people trolling the Crosby fans or not, but I'll be surprised if either team scores over 30 and if it's more than a 10 point game. But then I never expected Manvel to stomp Westfield 35-10 in game 1 two years ago either. I think it will be more like the Manvel / Westfield season opener last year - sub-30 points each, close game, too many penalties and turnovers by both teams.  

8 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Assuming we go to the division 2 playoffs Manvel should by far be the best and most talented team we could see until we left the region. That being said, don't be surprised if Netherly outplays Manvel's first time starter and Crosby gets the W on the road. I think Manvel is going to need 40+ to win which isn't the easiest thing for a qb to do making your first start against a solid team, rather you're at home or not. 

Netherly outplaying Manvel's first-time starter is possible. But won't this also be Netherly's first real start at QB? Other than against Galena Park and Porter, Netherly didn't spend much time at QB last year.  

I'll be surprised if either team approaches 40 points. New QBs on both sides. I think 30 will win it, which both teams are capable of depending on who gets bit bigger by first game jitters, turnovers and penalties.

Not really sure what to make of this one.  If we can keep them under 30 i think we have a chance.  The defense looked good during the Nederland scrimmage but that doesn't translate to this week.  I do like the idea of moving Netherly back to WR and giving #7 a shot, would have loved to see him get a look during the live action portion of the scrimmage. IMO the offense will be fine for our district but with teams like Manvel and teams second round forward in the playoffs Netherly's talent are best utilized at WR IMO.  Crosby is past the point of just putting the best athlete behind center.

2 hours ago, CoogGuy said:

Not really sure what to make of this one.  If we can keep them under 30 i think we have a chance.  The defense looked good during the Nederland scrimmage but that doesn't translate to this week.  I do like the idea of moving Netherly back to WR and giving #7 a shot, would have loved to see him get a look during the live action portion of the scrimmage. IMO the offense will be fine for our district but with teams like Manvel and teams second round forward in the playoffs Netherly's talent are best utilized at WR IMO.  Crosby is past the point of just putting the best athlete behind center.

I think the staff is making the right decision, there's no way you throw Jaiden out there against Manvel his first varsity start. For one, we're not going to be able to block the NT or the DE committed to Indiana and will probably struggle with the other DE. Netherly's speed is probably the best option to escape the pocket we won't be able to make and at least keep Manvel semi-honest. Ridge Point didn't even have to roll coverage or switch to take Mannie out of the game, Manvel will be similar so I'm not sure taking away his dynamic playmaking ability from the qb spot wouldn't actually hurt the team more than help. Jaiden is probably going to be our best pure qb since Haynes in '03, but with 3 of the last 4 qbs signing FBS and a bunch of W's it's hard to argue with the staff's theory.    

7 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I think the staff is making the right decision, there's no way you throw Jaiden out there against Manvel his first varsity start. For one, we're not going to be able to block the NT or the DE committed to Indiana and will probably struggle with the other DE. Netherly's speed is probably the best option to escape the pocket we won't be able to make and at least keep Manvel semi-honest. Ridge Point didn't even have to roll coverage or switch to take Mannie out of the game, Manvel will be similar so I'm not sure taking away his dynamic playmaking ability from the qb spot wouldn't actually hurt the team more than help. Jaiden is probably going to be our best pure qb since Haynes in '03, but with 3 of the last 4 qbs signing FBS and a bunch of W's it's hard to argue with the staff's theory.    

The last 2 QBs were just athletes that were under center. They had great leadership and benefitted from the top receivers in the area. I do believe we need that speed to keep the ends honest. Last scrimmage I think the timing was a little off with the QB and WR, but didn't see any bad decisions or interceptions from Netherly. 

26 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I agree he's not ready yet it's just a shame Netherly can't be used at his true position, i don't think he would be getting all the looks he is now if he had played QB since his sophomore year(he had always played QB correct).  Believe me i trust the staff they had the forethought to move him to WR.  Just hopeing during district #7 can get a look I also believe he will be "Special"

26 minutes ago, Gurulyfe4football said:

The last 2 QBs were just athletes that were under center. They had great leadership and benefitted from the top receivers in the area. I do believe we need that speed to keep the ends honest. Last scrimmage I think the timing was a little off with the QB and WR, but didn't see any bad decisions or interceptions from Netherly. 

I think Netherly fits that same description. Merka, Walter and Cotton actually had a lot more reps than Mannie because they never played anything else in Crosby's system besides qb. He didn't make any bad decisions but the reason we didn't score more wasn't because the timing was off. I attribute it all to reps though. Mannie brings something to the table Riordan hasn't really had since Tyrik Rollison was suiting up for him, I'm thinking he can put up 4,000+ total yards himself. One thing for certain, with the amount of recruiters at this game, if Mannie can pick Manvel apart we might be having a different discussion altogether next week.  

23 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I think Netherly fits that same description. Merka, Walter and Cotton actually had a lot more reps than Mannie because they never played anything else in Crosby's system besides qb. He didn't make any bad decisions but the reason we didn't score more wasn't because the timing was off. I attribute it all to reps though. Mannie brings something to the table Riordan hasn't really had since Tyrik Rollison was suiting up for him, I'm thinking he can put up 4,000+ total yards himself. One thing for certain, with the amount of recruiters at this game, if Mannie can pick Manvel apart we might be having a different discussion altogether next week.  

We will have plenty of time to tighten those loose ends in district play with the running game buying us time. I think Netherly is a WR on the next level regardless of the year he has.

Interesting, 247sports talent index for 2016 has Manvel ranked as the #7 most talented team nationally and #1 in the state of Texas. They have 19 prospects overall and twelve kids rated 3*, 4* or 5*.

Crosby comes in as the #38 most talented team nationally and #5 in the state of Texas, ranking as second most talented 5A in the state this year. 247sports says we have 12 total prospects with six being rated 3*, 4* or 5*.

With eighteen 3*'s and above on the field I think I know where the recruiters in H-town will be on opening night:

This is the hidden content, please

23 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Nice to see you back on here! :)

Thanks! Kind of a persona non grata on the 6a board since Manvel dropped to 5A.

Need to get SETX to expand its coverage further south and just a bit further west to include Manvel. Gonna be 5A for probably at least four years.

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Interesting, 247sports talent index for 2016 has Manvel ranked as the #7 most talented team nationally and #1 in the state of Texas. They have 19 prospects overall and twelve kids rated 3*, 4* or 5*.

Crosby comes in as the #38 most talented team nationally and #5 in the state of Texas, ranking as second most talented 5A in the state this year. 247sports says we have 12 total prospects with six being rated 3*, 4* or 5*.

With eighteen 3*'s and above on the field I think I know where the recruiters in H-town will be on opening night:

Win or loose this game will be good for Crosby. Playing the top competition early will elevate their play through the season. Reminds me of North Shore's schedule last year. This has to be the biggest regular season game for Crosby in recent years. If not in its history.

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The 2016 numbers include the class of '16, so those really represent last year's teams. 

The 2017 numbers represent this year's teams. Those numbers have Crosby at #17 nationally with five rated players, and Manvel at #39 with six rated players (huh? how's that math work?)

2 hours ago, RHBoiler said:

Thanks! Kind of a persona non grata on the 6a board since Manvel dropped to 5A.

Need to get SETX to expand its coverage further south and just a bit further west to include Manvel. Gonna be 5A for probably at least four years.

Im not looking forward to that (in bold)  lol go back to 6A asap. 

12 minutes ago, RHBoiler said:

The 2016 numbers include the class of '16, so those really represent last year's teams. 

The 2017 numbers represent this year's teams. Those numbers have Crosby at #17 nationally with five rated players, and Manvel at #39 with six rated players (huh? how's that math work?)

Manvel was absolutely loaded last year. When King was playing at Aragon middle school with my brother I knew he was going to be special. Langham Creek sure wished he would have stayed. 

9 hours ago, bronco pride said:

Manvel was absolutely loaded last year. When King was playing at Aragon middle school with my brother I knew he was going to be special. Langham Creek sure wished he would have stayed. 

Herman recently said that King might move to slot receiver for this year due to injuries to others at that position. Says he's still committed to King being a QB, but could move just for this year. Some really positive quotes from Herman about King in this article: 

9 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Im not looking forward to that (in bold)  lol go back to 6A asap. 

School district projections say that Manvel won't make it back to 6A numbers until the 2024 alignment. Shadow Creek High School, the new one in the district, will make it to 6A in 2020, based on current projections. 

1 minute ago, RHBoiler said:

School district projections say that Manvel won't make it back to 6A numbers until the 2024 alignment. Shadow Creek High School, the new one in the district, will make it to 6A in 2020, based on current projections. 

Yikes! Yall should opt-up lol :)

7 hours ago, RHBoiler said:

In 1970's when I was a linemen for Gulf States Utilities(Entergy now) & we brought in power developers said that Lochshire/Idlelock subd in Huffman when fully developed would increase Huffman pop by 30,000 seen the plats.It set idle for yrs & The Commons 1 & 2 just down the road sold completely out.There was talk of building a bridge across Lake Hou/San Jac River over to connect Kingwood=never happened.Guess Geo Foremen & 7other George's knocked out those taxes.Huffman next to move to 21-5a.Connected to Porter to north/Crosby south/Dayton east,Atascocita west

6 hours ago, liltex said:

In 1970's when I was a linemen for Gulf States Utilities(Entergy now) & we brought in power developers said that Lochshire/Idlelock subd in Huffman when fully developed would increase Huffman pop by 30,000 seen the plats.It set idle for yrs & The Commons 1 & 2 just down the road sold completely out.There was talk of building a bridge across Lake Hou/San Jac River over to connect Kingwood=never happened.Guess Geo Foremen & 7other George's knocked out those taxes.Huffman next to move to 21-5a.Connected to Porter to north/Crosby south/Dayton east,Atascocita west

There are a couple new developments in the works for Crosby the biggest being Sundance Cove which will be located between Lake Shadows and Indian Shores and will include a new Elementary School approximately 1200 homes.  If there can ever be an agreement on the widening of 2100 I can see Crosby's population doubling in the next 10 years. 

I really believe Crosby is going to win a hard fought game here but I think the final score won't reflect it. Crosby always seems to start the season in mid season form which is great for them and big kudos to the coaching staff on getting them ready. If they meet again come playoff time could and probably would be a lot different ball game. But as for now this Friday night Crosby wins this big game match up here. Best of Luck to both teams

5 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

I really believe Crosby is going to win a hard fought game here but I think the final score won't reflect it. Crosby always seems to start the season in mid season form which is great for them and big kudos to the coaching staff on getting them ready. If they meet again come playoff time could and probably would be a lot different ball game. But as for now this Friday night Crosby wins this big game match up here. Best of Luck to both teams

Any way we can give half a like