Preseason AP Poll

3 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Central and Memorial. 

I checked them out yesterday, hard to judge in no pads and going against team mates.  This defense has the potential to be the best in the district and rival some of the better defenses in Jaguar history.  The offensive potential is there.  Speed as usual, just a matter of how the O-Line plays.  I'll give a better analysis after the Channelview scrimmage.  

18 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

I checked them out yesterday, hard to judge in no pads and going against team mates.  This defense has the potential to be the best in the district and rival some of the better defenses in Jaguar history.  The offensive potential is there.  Speed as usual, just a matter of how the O-Line plays.  I'll give a better analysis after the Channelview scrimmage.  

So much for that flexbone lol. Spread it is. 

18 hours ago, workbootz said:

With all them D1 players.  You mean to tell me Crosby not in the top 5.

Of the top 10 only Calallen and Highland Park have less D1 kids than Crosby. Aledo and Calallen are also the only two schools that don't have an actual enrollment around 2000 kids too. Lone Star didn't turn in 2k but most likely will at the next alignment. Green and Dugat were high level D1's but still weren't comparable when they were one the field with SS, Manvel and Lake Travis. PAM will look just like Crosby this year with the D1's . . . . until they play those kids off the southwest.

15 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Of the top 10 only Calallen and Highland Park have less D1 kids than Crosby. Aledo and Calallen are also the only two schools that don't have an actual enrollment around 2000 kids too. Lone Star didn't turn in 2k but most likely will at the next alignment. Green and Dugat were high level D1's but still weren't comparable when they were one the field with SS, Manvel and Lake Travis. PAM will look just like Crosby this year with the D1's . . . . until they play those kids off the southwest.

Green and Dugat never played Manvel. Heck Green never played either school. Also to say they weren't comparable to SS when they scored 49 pts is a little silly. Fact is Dayton turned the ball over inside the 5 and SS had a successful on side kick. That was the difference in a game where neither offense could be stopped. Believe me AJ wasn't an All American for nothing. He compared fine with anyone on that field.

4 hours ago, ShlyKBMT said:

Foreman said it himself. Central will have to depend on the defense and special teams until the offense comes around.

Oh, I'm not doubting him or you. I'm in agreement.  Just hope it "comes around" by the 26th of August or at least by September 10th.  The defense will do more than their part...

8 minutes ago, dj said:

I've watched them play a couple times.well coached !! But couldn't see them beating the likes of w.o.s,gilmer,LA vega.

They can go toe-to-toe with any 4A team in a big-time setting. They earned my respect by pushing Navasota to the brink couple years ago. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

They can go toe-to-toe with any 4A team in a big-time setting. They earned my respect by pushing Navasota to the brink couple years ago. 

Agreed. Could be back to back state champs but lost 2 nail biters. Still can't believe they had back to back 12 men on the field with time running out that put Vega in scoring position. One of those penalties came off a timeout.

Waco LaVega looked a little out of sync (sloppy, actually) at several moments of that game against Argyle last year. They were the faster and more big-play capable team, but Argyle deserved plenty of respect. They looked good enough to beat most top tier teams in 4A D1 & D2 in my opinion. It was no fluke they were in the championship game. 

21 hours ago, bronco pride said:

Green and Dugat never played Manvel. Heck Green never played either school. Also to say they weren't comparable to SS when they scored 49 pts is a little silly. Fact is Dayton turned the ball over inside the 5 and SS had a successful on side kick. That was the difference in a game where neither offense could be stopped. Believe me AJ wasn't an All American for nothing. He compared fine with anyone on that field.

The point is kids like Tyrik Rollison and Garrett Gilbert will carve you up at the high school level no matter the talent level you think your player. The fact is that Dayton could stop neither. Rollison put up over 500 total yards on you and Gilbert threw for 474 yards alone. Dayton may have turned the ball over inside the 5 but that has nothing to do with Rollison missing only 6 times in 30 attempts and averaging over 15yards per completion. Gilbert missed 6 times in 40 attempts. At the end of the day SS' combination of Rollison and Jackson, Travis' combination of Gilbert and Bird were just better than Green and Dugat. That's the long answer for my initial response to the "Crosby D1 players" comment.

People here think it sounds like boasting when you talk about your players but we would get laughed at on the SW side of Houston or in the DFW for saying you have 5 D1 players on the roster. Their response would be, "That's all?". Now wonder y'all got killed by Ridge Point. GR probably had 10 on the roster. Same thing is probably going to happen when we play Manvel to start the season. There will be plenty of "I thought y'all had all those D1 players?", never taking into consideration they signed 12 D1's in one class last year and barely lost to Katy in the process. The thinking here is so myopic it's sad.

2 hours ago, griff said:

Waco LaVega looked a little out of sync (sloppy, actually) at several moments of that game against Argyle last year. They were the faster and more big-play capable team, but Argyle deserved plenty of respect. They looked good enough to beat most top tier teams in 4A D1 & D2 in my opinion. It was no fluke they were in the championship game. 

And I agree with you. They were out of sink and still found a way to win. I look at Argyle as a team that's  discipline and doesn't commit a bunch of turnover. But not an overpowering line and fairly descent defense which can b scored on. I know a few years ago they had a stud running back that was tremendous against Navasota. But still all and all u press cover and bring the bliss that team would have trouble!! Not the most athletic team or speed team either .

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The point is kids like Tyrik Rollison and Garrett Gilbert will carve you up at the high school level no matter the talent level you think your player. The fact is that Dayton could stop neither. Rollison put up over 500 total yards on you and Gilbert threw for 474 yards alone. Dayton may have turned the ball over inside the 5 but that has nothing to do with Rollison missing only 6 times in 30 attempts and averaging over 15yards per completion. Gilbert missed 6 times in 40 attempts. At the end of the day SS' combination of Rollison and Jackson, Travis' combination of Gilbert and Bird were just better than Green and Dugat. That's the long answer for my initial response to the "Crosby D1 players" comment.

People here think it sounds like boasting when you talk about your players but we would get laughed at on the SW side of Houston or in the DFW for saying you have 5 D1 players on the roster. Their response would be, "That's all?". Now wonder y'all got killed by Ridge Point. GR probably had 10 on the roster. Same thing is probably going to happen when we play Manvel to start the season. There will be plenty of "I thought y'all had all those D1 players?", never taking into consideration they signed 12 D1's in one class last year and barely lost to Katy in the process. The thinking here is so myopic it's sad.

How many D1 players did PLC have because they dang near beat both GR and RP last year. GR beat them 27-26 and RP beat the by 7 in the first round. RP had one cakewalk in the region and got killed by a very good CP.

1 hour ago, dj said:

And I agree with you. They were out of sink and still found a way to win. I look at Argyle as a team that's  discipline and doesn't commit a bunch of turnover. But not an overpowering line and fairly descent defense which can b scored on. I know a few years ago they had a stud running back that was tremendous against Navasota. But still all and all u press cover and bring the bliss that team would have trouble!! Not the most athletic team or speed team either .

You do realize that Argyle plays almost exclusively press man coverage on D. So I'm sure they have some descent athletes.

8 hours ago, griff said:

On 8/12/2016 at 5:44 PM, dj said:

IF (I said "IF", not "when") WO-S and Argyle both win championships, I wish there was a way they could play each other and settle it for all of 4A. Plus, we owe them one after they beat us for the baseball crown.