Republican National Convention

PhatMack19

3 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

Cruz's speech tonight will be interesting.  Does he go scorched earth on Trump and risk his future political career?

I'm betting he goes scorched earth on Hillary, and rarely mentions Trump.  He's prepping for 2020.  As you said, it will be interesting.

4 hours ago, REBgp said:

I'm betting he goes scorched earth on Hillary, and rarely mentions Trump.  He's prepping for 2020.  As you said, it will be interesting.

Cruz started off great even though he didn't mention Trump.  He lost the crowd at the end.  The Donald had to walk out at the end to save face.  

Cruz may have just sunk himself for 2020.

14 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I'm a Cruz fan but that was a tacky move.

I posted that before it was over.  He didn't have to necessarily endorse Trump, but he should have at least tried to unify the party. He came off at the end as a sore loser.  

I thought Cruz was way more congenial than I would have been. To give a speech at the RNC after all of what Trump did to him in the Primaries takes guts. If he would have continually called me a liar, went after my wife, went after my father and tried to sabotage my marriage by saying I was unfaithful, my instinct would have been to sabotage him at the RNC. But Cruz took the high road and gave a speech in spite of all that. Kasich couldn't even bring himself to do that, even though the convention is in his home state and he received far less of Trump's childish attacks.

If a childish piece of crap of a little man is dating your daughter, constantly insulting you, tells lies about you and your whole family, then convinces your daughter to marry him and your loving daughter asks you to give a toast during the wedding ceremony, what toast would you give? (Sorry for the run-on sentence. I'm tired and I don't feel like fixing it.) I would have to be a far bigger man than I am to give a congenial speech that approached the one Cruz gave Trump.

This is the hidden content, please

Divisiveness, Hate and Lies. The only living republican candidate supporting trump is Dole and he doesn't remember who Bob Dole is. Kasich can't bring himself to do it and the convention is in his state. Cruze and he spoke at the convention. Romney, McCain, All three Bushes. The most hateful rhetoric that I have seen in my lifetime. 

1 hour ago, Englebert said:

I thought Cruz was way more congenial than I would have been. To give a speech at the RNC after all of what Trump did to him in the Primaries takes guts. If he would have continually called me a liar, went after my wife, went after my father and tried to sabotage my marriage by saying I was unfaithful, my instinct would have been to sabotage him at the RNC. But Cruz took the high road and gave a speech in spite of all that. Kasich couldn't even bring himself to do that, even though the convention is in his home state and he received far less of Trump's childish attacks.

If a childish piece of crap of a little man is dating your daughter, constantly insulting you, tells lies about you and your whole family, then convinces your daughter to marry him and your loving daughter asks you to give a toast during the wedding ceremony, what toast would you give. (Sorry for the run-on sentence. I'm tired and I don't feel like fixing it.) I would have to be a far bigger man than I am to give a congenial speech that approached the one Ted gave Trump.

Good counterpoints.  Like many, I had forgotten about what was said during the race for the nomination.  Of course, I'm senile. :) 

1 hour ago, Englebert said:

If a childish piece of crap of a little man is dating your daughter, constantly insulting you, tells lies about you and your whole family, then convinces your daughter to marry him and your loving daughter asks you to give a toast during the wedding ceremony, what toast would you give? (Sorry for the run-on sentence. I'm tired and I don't feel like fixing it.) I would have to be a far bigger man than I am to give a congenial speech that approached the one Cruz gave Trump.

You nailed it. 

9 hours ago, Englebert said:

I was actually surprised Cruz even showed...after all the insults, I wouldn't have...but this made him look petty imo.

That being said, by doing what he did, he did nothing but fan the Trump/Cruz base flames and that can only help hillary.

He should have just stayed home, this next election is much more important than someone's hurt feelings.

8 hours ago, new tobie said:

This is the hidden content, please

Divisiveness, Hate and Lies. The only living republican candidate supporting trump is Dole and he doesn't remember who Bob Dole is. Kasich can't bring himself to do it and the convention is in his state. Cruze and he spoke at the convention. Romney, McCain, All three Bushes. The most hateful rhetoric that I have seen in my lifetime. 

Are you talking about the upcoming DNC...nailed it!

43 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I was actually surprised Cruz even showed...after all the insults, I wouldn't have...but this made him look petty imo.

That being said, by doing what he did, he did nothing but fan the Trump/Cruz base flames and that can only help hillary.

He should have just stayed home, this next election is much more important than someone's hurt feelings.

If he didn't show then he would be ostracized just like Kasich and Bush. (Rock and a hard place.) I actually think the booing made the Trump fans look petty.

I didn't hear anything in his speech negative towards Trump. Me personally I would have attacked Hillary and concentrated on the consequences of electing her, without saying "Vote for Trump". He might have wanted to do just that, but was scheduled on the wrong day. (The "attack Hillary" day was the day before.) I don't know if he was given free reign to deliver any speech he wanted, but in my opinion he showed great restraint and proper congeniality. My opinion of Cruz went up. My opinion of the Trump fans in the audience went way down.

19 minutes ago, Englebert said:

If he didn't show then he would be ostracized just like Kasich and Bush. (Rock and a hard place.) I actually think the booing made the Trump fans look petty.

I didn't hear anything in his speech negative towards Trump. Me personally I would have attacked Hillary and concentrated on the consequences of electing her, without saying "Vote for Trump". He might have wanted to do just that, but was scheduled on the wrong day. (The "attack Hillary" day was the day before.) I don't know if he was given free reign to deliver any speech he wanted, but in my opinion he showed great restraint and proper congeniality. My opinion of Cruz went up. My opinion of the Trump fans in the audience went way down.

One positive was that Newt, in Newt fashion, managed to make Cruz's non-endorsement look like an endorsement for Trump.

I am still a Cruz fan, but this stunt showed me he better get thicker skin if he ever wants to be President...he ain't seen nothing yet.

3 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

One positive was that Newt, in Newt fashion, managed to make Cruz's non-endorsement look like an endorsement for Trump.

I am still a Cruz fan, but this stunt showed me he better get thicker skin if he ever wants to be President...he ain't seen nothing yet.

I agree.  The Dems and the leftist media will throw the whole barn at him.  

1 minute ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I quit watching after the audience booed Cruz.

When I was watching Cruz's speech I was thinking along the same lines as Newt...Cruz would suggest voting for Trump without actually saying the words, by pointing out the consequences of not voting for him. Which is exactly how I and Newt interpreted his remarks. But that is not the way the crowd interpreted it. That showed me the pettiness of the crowd.

I really don't think Cruz is thin skinned at all. I think anyone will fight back against someone attacking your family, especially when based on fact less lies. I think Cruz showed great restraint. 

11 minutes ago, Englebert said:

I quit watching after the audience booed Cruz.

When I was watching Cruz's speech I was thinking along the same lines as Newt...Cruz would suggest voting for Trump without actually saying the words, by pointing out the consequences of not voting for him. Which is exactly how I and Newt interpreted his remarks. But that is not the way the crowd interpreted it. That showed me the pettiness of the crowd.

I really don't think Cruz is thin skinned at all. I think anyone will fight back against someone attacking your family, especially when based on fact less lies. I think Cruz showed great restraint. 

The crowd was there for the nominee, not for Cruz.

Like I said, if he wants to be President, as he has said, he better get over trying to defend himself against every personal attack...he would't have time for anything else...Bush managed to ignore them, and they were much worse and more frequent than anything Cruz could even imagine at this point.

I am still a Cruz fan but he should have just stayed home imo.

8 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

The crowd was there for the nominee, not for Cruz.

Like I said, if he wants to be President, as he has said, he better get over trying to defend himself against every personal attack...he would't have time for anything else...Bush managed to ignore them, and they were much worse and more frequent than anything Cruz could even imagine at this point.

I am still a Cruz fan but he should have just stayed home imo.

He might should have stayed home. But then he would have to face the wrath of pundits saying you broke your word (pledge), just as they are doing to Kasich and Bush.

I didn't hear anywhere in Cruz's speech of him defending himself against Trump's personal attacks on Cruz himself and Cruz's family. I think I would have. That's why I think Cruz showed great restraint.