East Chambers Buccaneers (33-6) vs. Van Alstyne Panthers (29-7)

4 hours ago, 9MMHoops said:

KHSAlum makes a good point.  The press doesn't seem to bother VA - they don't turn the ball over just because they are pressed.  However, they like to take risks on offense and I personally think their passes are sloppy because of that.  ECC needs to play fundamental defense and wait for the sloppy passes because they won't have to wait long.

4) They are fairly tall, but they are mostly skinny and with the exception of Boling and their center (Hensley), they are not what I'd call "strong."  BTW, speaking of tall, the 6'8" center that played for Faith Family had at least 10 blocks in the game against VA.

5) Boling was an All-Stater last year (and will likely be one again this year), but he has not been the MVP in the playoffs - that would go to the center - Hensley.  Found out that his dad was an OL at Baylor and that must be where this kid gets his toughness.  He's only 6'2, but tough as nails and basically won the last game in the 4th with his tough play under the basket and clutch FT's. 

The Roster: 

Somebody put a copy of the roster up above, but I think that is last year's roster as the Jones boy isn't playing this year.  But they are basically the same team that beat Ponder last year and lost to Brock in the Regional Finals.  They only graduated one starter from last year, and these boys really play together as a team - they are not a bunch of lone rangers trying to pad their stats.

Advice to beat VA:

- When you take the floor for warmups, you'll look across the way and see a bunch of skinny young men that don't even look that athletic (mostly) - don't underestimate them.  If you get cocky and think you've got it in the bag, they will drain five 3's to start the game and take all the wind out of your sails.

- Be focused and play your game regardless of the score - VA had Life down by 20 pts in the 3rd and I thought the game was over.  VA went cold and Life brought it back to a 6 pt game.  

- Sounds too simple, but you've got to make your FT's.  VA will.

- Don't get sloppy.  In the 4th, when you are tired, if your passes aren't crisp you'll get burned.  Boling loves to take 4th period steals all the way for a dunk.  

- Don't let their crowd get in your head.  I'm not kidding - this sounds ridiculous but I've never heard a louder crowd and their student section goes bonkers.  They even have a name for them - VAVAT (Van Alstyne Verbal Assault Team).  I'm not kidding.  I can't even sit on the same side as the VA fans because I don't want people to think I'm one of them. 

Ok, it's time for me to shut up and give some other folks a chance here.  If you'll want to make me a happy grandpa, take it to the boys from VA.  I'll be sitting on the ECC side on Thursday and I'll be wearing a green Thomas Moore Feed hat. 

Tom

They must be bad if you aren't rooting for them and they live 5 minutes from you :)  Silsbee is our biggest rival, and i want nothing more than for them to bring a championship home to SETX.

I live in VA and have watched them play many times.  I have also seen EC play a few games.  I am going to be objective and say they are VERY SIMILAR.   Both teams are vey athletic and press.  Both teams like to push the ball.  They both cause turnovers in their press and both convert turnovers into easy points in transition.  Both teams have guards that can fill it up from deep and both teams have a strong post/forward that are very effective.  It should be a great matchup.  I am very much looking forward to watching this game.  Like a true homer I will go ahead and say VA wins because they will turn the ball over less.  I believe that is what will decide this game.  Both teams score a bunch and whoever can win the turnover battle I believe will win.  Enjoy!!

5 hours ago, msutribe44 said:

I live in VA and have watched them play many times.  I have also seen EC play a few games.  I am going to be objective and say they are VERY SIMILAR.   Both teams are vey athletic and press.  Both teams like to push the ball.  They both cause turnovers in their press and both convert turnovers into easy points in transition.  Both teams have guards that can fill it up from deep and both teams have a strong post/forward that are very effective.  It should be a great matchup.  I am very much looking forward to watching this game.  Like a true homer I will go ahead and say VA wins because they will turn the ball over less.  I believe that is what will decide this game.  Both teams score a bunch and whoever can win the turnover battle I believe will win.  Enjoy!!

Which EC games did you see?  Early in the year or as of late?  

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

Sounds like EC will have their hands full, but then again, very few expected you to beat Kountze.  Looks like EC is peaking at the right time.   Go Buc's!

Here's TV schedule. 

This is the hidden content, please

i think most expected E.C. to beat Kountze Down 3 starters.. Kountze beat E.C. by 5 points with all starters.. But anything was possible when you have a player like Grayland Arnold but just wasn't enough.. hats off to  East Chambers they have the best chance to bring the title back home... don't think kountze would of fared well in San Antonio 

1 hour ago, TopDawG52 said:

i think most expected E.C. to beat Kountze Down 3 starters.. Kountze beat E.C. by 5 points with all starters.. But anything was possible when you have a player like Grayland Arnold but just wasn't enough.. hats off to  East Chambers they have the best chance to bring the title back home... don't think kountze would of fared well in San Antonio 

I thought this before the game, EC was the more complete team out of the two. Kountze was a tough matchup for EC, but thought EC would matchup better in San Antonio.