Silsbee 120 Liberty 68/Final

WOSgrad

It was exciting to watch the Silsbee Tigers up close tonight.   Their speed, skills, and athleticism made me continuously ask," How can they do that?"  They clearly work together as team and have the determined Spirit  of Champions!  They set the bar very high and it is anybody's guess who will/can figure out how to reach them!  This is the year of the TIGER!

1 hour ago, BADSANTA said:

Mosshill is not impressed I'm sure

I don't know about the impressed part, but this isn't a game that should change his mind about a team with good guards and a good big.  This game was ugly for Liberty!  50 turnovers,. This was the kind of game the Tigers play best, create havoc and force turnovers. Not much else in this one as far as game play.  A little too hyped up at the very beginning but about the time the second group entered in the first quarter, this one was pretty much over.

Mixed emotions for sure and this was exactly what I expected to see out of Liberty. I will say this, Silsbee is deep. Very deep for a 4a program and I really enjoyed watching 3, 14, 11, 23 and 33. I'm not leaving anyone out on purpose, but these young men stood out to me, tonight for personal reasons..... You have two or three that when on the court play with a little too much emotion and for that reason, I anticipate some trouble down the road if they are left on the court together. There are several different combinations going on here and so I'm not going to call it first 5 or second 5, but one of the two does not play good transition defense and the other one plays very good D. What I seen and most probably did not recognize was that Silsbee allowed a lot of things tonight and could probably (if wanted to) created many more turnovers.....that's an assessment for those of you who believed I would judge them just off this performance and not from what I can see "potentially" in them or their capability per say. So here's one more negative because you guys may accuse me of jumping on the bandwagon......Not so fast Silsbee faithful. If 14 does not shoot well, somebody else better be able to shoot well from the perimeter. There were a lot of open three looks tonight that were bricking all over the place and yeah, tonight is a night that everybody gets to participate in the 3 pt. contest but my god......take it to the hole and draw the foul for the love of god....

This fits into that perception I had without seeing them......And hearing of this full court pressure DEF - which is legit by the way

The problem is, when ya face a team that handles the ball well, and slows the pace down, will somebody(s) step up and take control if indeed the shooting guards have a bad night. That's what worries me. I'd also like to see 3 take a shot more often. that kid is very unselfish.

That said, I am impressed with Silsbee. I don't know if there's anyone in the state (this particular year) that will do what I've said will beat ST. If nobody does that and Silsbee continues to do the things they do well, then it's lights out and the party is over. You will be the champ, hands down.

I'm still thinking - there has to be somebody that can do that at the 4a level...... BUT PLEASE prove MossHill wrong. This could be your year.

34 minutes ago, Bmt_4now said:
35 minutes ago, Bmt_4now said:

Jones and Bush at the game once again, come back home so they can reload for next year! Lol

That's very much possible that they will be back. Silsbee looks very good. Talked to bush dad in lobby everybody that came up to him and asked him was Braelon coming back he said yes and I mean it was a lot of people that asked the question.

We have 3 shooters that have been real good this year, 14, 10 and 5. Maze, Harris and Adams.  Adams had one of the worst shooting nights I have seen him have tonight, but it was his first playoff game so I am sure he will do a lot better.  When any of them get hot watch out.  And you are right, the Tigers forced plenty of turnovers but I have seen them put even more pressure in some ways than they did tonight.  As far as stepping up and taking charge when the shots aren't falling, Devon McCain (3), has done that at times this year.  Earlier this year vs Central he did so late in the game. We will also have his older brother Michael back in a week or so who has that ability as well. It will be interesting to see how things go.  There are  some teams out there that will give us tough tests even on good nights , so we need to step up every night.

One thing I have noticed with Devon is he so good at penetrating and is looking to set his teammates up (his vision is among the best in the area - scary he's only a freshman). Too often though, his teammates are spotting up outside the 3 pt line instead of slashing to the basket.  So his pass is a kick out instead of an assist at the basket.  Adams and Harris in particular can both finish at the rim so when the three isn't falling for them, I would like to see them cutting more to the cup.  Maybe a little nitpick but just my personal opinion.  

With this teams performances most criticisms are nitpicking.  I hope they perform up to their capabilities from here on out.  Come prepared every game and go all out. That's all we can ask.  My concern is just that they haven't been really tested in quite a while, just have to see the response when that happens.

2 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

I agree with MossHIll to an extent though...if Silsbee don't have the ability to adjust and slow the game down against teams that run just as well as them I.E wheatley I think they might fall short however thats going to be a tough task cause Silsbee might the deepest team in 4A

I don't think there is a team that will be able to run with them, bc of your last point. Only way Silsbee loses is if a team controls the pace, limits TO, and doesn't allow Silsbee to get transition buckets.

I think MossHill is talking more about a team that can handle the pressure and slow it down and force them to play the game more in half court sets.  Wheatley certainly is capable of winning but teams that like to run play right into Silsbee's hands.  That's where the depth kicks in.  I have seen plenty this year of teams going 10-12 deep when they are actually 7-8 deep and the team suffers.  But Silsbee is legit 10+ deep.  You're right OF - there may be a team as deep in 4a as Silsbee but I'd have to see it.  Most years there's not. 

We all know #5 Adams had a bad night with the 3's. But we all know that when he gets hot look out "...lol .. Mosshill you didn't see this tonight.  Silsbee really had a bad shooting game .This game really could of been a lot worse. And just to put this out their teams all year have tried to slow the game up on us and it hasn't stop us yet. :)

Score by quarters

1              2              3               4            tot

Liberty                     13           10             21             24           68

Silsbee                    30           37             31             22         120

FT %

Liberty             12/24    50%

Silsbee            14/19    74%

3 Point %

Liberty             4/22     18%

Silsbee          12/38     32%

Rebounds

Liberty            29

Silsbee           49

Turnovers

Liberty             42

Silsbee            20

Fouls

Liberty              14

Silsbee             19

Individual scoring

Liberty

Justin Arrington                    22 (6/9 FT, 13 rebounds)

Kendall Lemelle                   15 (2/9 three's)

Brandon Guillory                    9 (7 in 4th Q, 3/6 FT)

Trevor Pierce                         6 (2/8 three's)

Jarius Hill                               5

Andrew Sanchez                   5

Tyris Williams                        4

L.J. Domain                           2

Silsbee

Rick Maze                            22 (6/12 three's)

Trajan Harris                        14 (12 in 1st half, 3/8 three's, 3/5 FT)

Adonis Thomas                    14 (10 in 2nd half)

Dontre Thomas                    12 ( 8 rebounds)

Devon McCain                     11 (all in 1st half, 9 assists, 6 rebounds)

Bruce Newton                      10 (5 assists)

Tre Grubbs                           10 (7 rebounds)

Kalon Barnes                         9 (9 rebounds)

Kolten Mackey                       6 (7 rebounds, 4 blocks)

Jordyn Adams                       5 (0/9 three's)

Tre Lowe                               3

Landon Crowder                   2

Jadon Bass                           2

8 hours ago, Who That said:

We all know #5 Adams had a bad night with the 3's. But we all know that when he gets hot look out "...lol .. Mosshill you didn't see this tonight.  Silsbee really had a bad shooting game .This game really could of been a lot worse. And just to put this out their teams all year have tried to slow the game up on us and it hasn't stop us yet. :)

Adams will be fine just an off night he will get in the gym and work it out been around him since he moved to this area he will be ready as the playoffs continue all the great shooters have bad days its how you respond to it.

5 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

Devon and Jordyn need to start taking it to the rim and finishing. Also, Grubbs has the ability to do the same. We shoot far too many 3 pointers. 12/35 isn't good!

When you have a strong transition game you will get open looks don't panic badsanta when the ball is going in the hoop we say nothing. I want the shooters to keep shooting everything else will take care itself you will need outside shooting before you get the ring. Silsbee is fine we win by 50 plus so if we worried about 3pt shooting something is wrong.