I've come up with a new playoff system for college football

bullets13

Go to an 8-team playoff. all 1-loss and undefeated power conference teams get in.  If there are more than eight undefeated or 1-loss power conference teams then use rankings to determine play-in games.  If there are less than eight 1-loss or better teams from power conferences then undefeated teams from other conferences get in before you consider 2-loss teams.  use the rankings to determine seeding, as well as which 2-loss teams to include when there are openings to fill.  Use strength of schedule to help determine rankings to keep teams from scheduling straight cupcakes in their OOC schedule.  This system would work every year and give a tangible standard for making the playoffs.

# of undefeated and 1-loss power conference teams over the last 10 years going into the bowl games:

2014-6
2013-6
2012-5
2011-4
2010-7
2009-5 (+undefeated Boise st)
2008-7 (+undefeated Boise st and Utah)
2007-ONE (+undefeated Hawaii)
2006-5 (+undefeated Boise st)
2005-6 

there will be no more than 8 this year, and likely less.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Edited by bullets13

That would eliminate the good out of conference matchups.  There would be no need to schedule tough non conference games.  Everyone would adopt the Art Briles model and schedule the school for the blind 4 times.  

Really, they could schedule Western Carolina.

System looks ok to me bullets.

Edited by baddog

That would eliminate the good out of conference matchups.  There would be no need to schedule tough non conference games.  Everyone would adopt the Art Briles model and schedule the school for the blind 4 times.  

sec gets the most respect and leeway in the polls and they do this already.

sec gets the most respect and leeway in the polls and they do this already.

They all schedule at least one good out of conference game. 

Here is the OOC games for 2016 that would all go away under your plan.  

Alabama- USC

Arkansas- TCU

Auburn- Clemson

Florida- Florida St

Georgia- North Carolina, Georgia Tech

Kentucky- Louisville 

LSU- Wisconsin 

Ole Miss- Florida St

Miss St- BYU

Mizzou- West Virginia 

South Carolina- Clemson

Tennessee- Virginia Tech

Texas A&M-  UCLA

Vandy- Georgia Tech

The rivalry games would probably stay, but no way coaches would schedule the other games when there is no benefit.

Alabama- USC

Arkansas- TCU

Auburn- Clemson

Florida- Florida St

Kentucky- Louisville 

LSU- Wisconsin 

Ole Miss- Florida St

Miss St- BYU

Mizzou- West Virginia 

South Carolina- Clemson

Tennessee- Virginia Tech

Texas A&M-  UCLA

Vandy- Georgia Tech

The rivalry games would probably stay, but no way coaches would schedule the other games when there is no benefit.

alabama could ditch WKU and still play USC. Arkansas could ditch Alcorn St to keep TCU. I probably could go into each of those schools schedule and find a cupcake to remove so they could still keep the biggie if I had the time to. 

Alabama- USC

Arkansas- TCU

Auburn- Clemson

Florida- Florida St

Kentucky- Louisville 

LSU- Wisconsin 

Ole Miss- Florida St

Miss St- BYU

Mizzou- West Virginia 

South Carolina- Clemson

Tennessee- Virginia Tech

Texas A&M-  UCLA

Vandy- Georgia Tech

i could deal with losing 15 good matchups to have an 8-game playoff with a consistent qualifying requirement.  And if these teams eliminate their tough OOC games then we'll get to see more great matchups in playin games to get into the final 8.

alabama could ditch WKU and still play USC. Arkansas could ditch Alcorn St to keep TCU. I probably could go into each of those schools schedule and find a cupcake to remove so they could still keep the biggie if I had the time to. 

I'm saying there would be no point to schedule good teams if the whole goal is to have less than 2 losses.

Stanford played 12 Power 5 schools this season with their 2 losses being on the road at #16 Northwestern and #17 Oregon by 2 points.  Take out the non conference loss to NW and Stanford is a lock for the playoff even above OU.  There would be no benifit to playing a good shedule. 

i could deal with losing 15 good matchups to have an 8-game playoff with a consistent qualifying requirement.  And if these teams eliminate their tough OOC games then we'll get to see more great matchups in playin games to get into the final 8.

15 good matchups in 1 conference!!! There are 4 other conferences that claim to play big boy football also.  I guess I'm too big of a college football fan to miss out on all of those games throughout the season.  

8 teams with 5 conference champions and 3 wild cards is the way to go 

I'm saying there would be no point to schedule good teams if the whole goal is to have less than 2 losses.

Stanford played 12 Power 5 schools this season with their 2 losses being on the road at #16 Northwestern and #17 Oregon by 2 points.  Take out the non conference loss to NW and Stanford is a lock for the playoff even above OU.  There would be no benifit to playing a good shedule. 

oh ok, I gotcha. 

Here's a plan- 8 Teams

Power 5 Conference Champs (ACC, Big XII, SEC, Pac 12, Big 10)

3 Highest rated Mid-Major Conference Champs plus Highest Rated Independent 

Win your conference!

So you don't care to have the best teams playing for the championship?

11-1 defending national champ Ohio State would be watching from home while Houston, Bowling Green, and San Diego St played for a championship.  No one wants to see that, especially the tv stations that would lose their butts showing crap playoff games.  

11-1 defending national champ Ohio State would be watching from home while Houston, Bowling Green, and San Diego St played for a championship.  No one wants to see that, especially the tv stations that would lose their butts showing crap playoff games.  

thats the problem right there. 

No. They had an opportunity to win their conference. They lost. They are obviously NOT the BEST team.

Your conference games are the 1st round of the playoff. Just like the NCAA tournament- Survive and Advance.

If you're TRULY the best team, then win your conference. I am tired of the TV networks deciding what teams are qualified to play. 

thats the problem right there. 

Do you want to watch Clemson vs Bowling Green in a first round matchup?  BG lost to an average Sec team at Tennessee by 29 points!  So GCM thinks they deserve a shot because they won a terrible mid major conference?  That makes zero sense.  

Let's the best teams decide it on the field. 5 champs and 3 wildcards.  ND is taken care of if they are worthy as well as other really good teams that didn't win their conference.  Lets use 2014 as an example because that's all we have of the playoff.  

#1  Bama vs #8 Michigan St

#2  Oregon vs #7 Miss St

#3  FSU vs #6 TCU

#4  Ohio St vs #5 Baylor

Under GCM's plan 

Bama, Oregon, FSU, Ohio St and whichever "One True Champion"'came out of the Big 12 would still be in.  One would tie for the conference title and sit at home like they did anyways.  

The last 3 spots would be between Boise St, Marshall, Northern Illinois, and Memphis.  Ole Miss was #9 last year and would be left out.  They beat Boise and UNI by 22 & 21 points respectively.  Arkansas beat Memphis by 38 points!  Why would any of them deserve to make the playoff just because they win a crap conference?

Do you want to watch Clemson vs Bowling Green in a first round matchup?  BG lost to an average Sec team at Tennessee by 29 points!  So GCM thinks they deserve a shot because they won a terrible mid major conference?  That makes zero sense.  

Let's the best teams decide it on the field. 5 champs and 3 wildcards.  ND is taken care of if they are worthy as well as other really good teams that didn't win their conference.  Lets use 2014 as an example because that's all we have of the playoff.  

#2  Oregon vs #7 Miss St

#3  FSU vs #6 TCU

#4  Ohio St vs #5 Baylor

Under GCM's plan 

Bama, Oregon, FSU, Ohio St and whichever "One True Champion"'came out of the Big 12 would still be in.  One would tie for the conference title and sit at home like they did anyways.  

The last 3 spots would be between Boise St, Marshall, Northern Illinois, and Memphis.  Ole Miss was #9 last year and would be left out.  They beat Boise and UNI by 22 & 21 points respectively.  Arkansas beat Memphis by 38 points!  Why would any of them deserve to make the playoff just because they win a crap conference?

yes. Id rather Toledo versus them though for personal reasons. 

Arkansas beat Memphis when? Sure wasn't this year. 

I guess you wont be watching anymore NCAA Tournaments right? 

#2  Oregon vs #7 Miss St

#3  FSU vs #6 TCU

#4  Ohio St vs #5 Baylor

Under GCM's plan 

If you're better, then just beat them on the field. Why does a team with 1 loss (or even 2) deserve to get in a playoff simply because of their conference affiliation?

Win your conference and beat the "scrubs" and you're a National Champ. Seems fair to me. If you're the "best", just win baby.

Why should ESPN decide who plays? 

If you're better, then just beat them on the field. Why does a team with 1 loss (or even 2) deserve to get in a playoff simply because of their conference affiliation?

I'm not worried about conference affiliation at all.  I say pick the best teams not champions of scrub conferences that got hammered when they played against average Power 5 schools like my examples above.