San AntonIo Players target Ref

CougarCal

Do you think these two boys would do it all over again if they knew what they know now?

I do not think you you have ever sat on a grand jury - it is amazing to me the number of times crimes are committed by the same people - after being found guilty and serving jail time they still commit crime after crime.  I know that it may not be a fair comparison but the fact is that people young and old do commit "mistakes" time after time even after they know the consequences.  

A "mistake" is a mistake until it turns into a crime which in this case - in my opinion - it has.

I think you guys are mis reading what I am saying. I'm not saying give them a second chance just because the NFL does, I am saying they need to be disciplined, but the severity of that punishment suggested by some is a little extreme. What I am saying is everybody is up in arms about these two kids that outside of that school nobody knows anything about them, where as when a professional athlete does something, people are ok with giving them a second chance because they have served their "debt to society." I can't stand the fact that Adrian Peterson is allowed to play in the NFL ever again and never spent a day in jail, but people are suggesting these two boys need to be put in jail.

Irony is a guy who named himself OneChance arguing that these two thugs be given another chance. 

I believe that these two gentlemen have obviously not grasped any of the life lessons that football can teach to young men.  I feel that they have forfeited all sports for the remainder of this year, and should be criminally investigated as this was a premeditated assault... The fact that it occurred during a football game doesn't change anything. I also believe that all refs should stick together and refuse to officiate any further sporting events for this school IF they believe that school administrators are unwilling to properly address this criminal behavior. I don't get the impression that administration is, based on their statement saying that they were going to investigate what "instigated the attack." 

I think you guys are mis reading what I am saying. I'm not saying give them a second chance just because the NFL does, I am saying they need to be disciplined, but the severity of that punishment suggested by some is a little extreme. What I am saying is everybody is up in arms about these two kids that outside of that school nobody knows anything about them, where as when a professional athlete does something, people are ok with giving them a second chance because they have served their "debt to society." I can't stand the fact that Adrian Peterson is allowed to play in the NFL ever again and never spent a day in jail, but people are suggesting these two boys need to be put in jail.

I'll have to disagree.  First, you have an official who has no pads to protect him, not anticipating any contact, and he gets blindsided by the initial hit, then as he hits the ground, he's speared with a helmet.  Don't have to be a Dr. to know he could have received a serious injury up to and including a broken back.  

Second, although in my time I've hollered at many that they were goofy, blind, etc, Referee's are (were?) off limits for contact.  Just belly bumping one (umpire) in baseball gets you thrown out. 

Lastly, IMO, if the punishment to the two players AND the School is not severe enough, you'll have more incidents like this, tainting HS football in Texas, which is something none of us want.  Just an old mans opinion.

A "second chance" in a crime is called deferred adjudicated probation.  If a person serves out the probation and complies with all rules, then it goes off of the person's record and no jail time. If he violates his probation then he ignored his second chance. A second chance does not mean ignoring the offense. 

I don't need to know the "Kids" if they are smart enough to play they are not"insane" so the young men knew when they planned to deliver revenge it was "wrong"  so this is how it works instead of screw you it's I screwed myself . Give them all the law allows , take a hard look at the coaching staff / Admin , see where the trail leads ( where did the ants go )  and end the problem . No liberal mercy no they didn't mean to hurt anyone . Time to pay up ! No more excuses ! 

I don't need to know the "Kids" if they are smart enough to play they are not"insane" so the young men knew when they planned to deliver revenge it was "wrong"  so this is how it works instead of screw you it's I screwed myself . Give them all the law allows , take a hard look at the coaching staff / Admin , see where the trail leads ( where did the ants go )  and end the problem . No liberal mercy no they didn't mean to hurt anyone . Time to pay up ! No more excuses ! 

amen

Throw the hoodlums off the team and expell them from school !! If the coach had or a coach told them to do it get rid of his @#% too !!! You dont touch the refs period !!!! Time for youngins roo be taught there are consequences when you do wrong especially stupid stuff . I heard the ref is pressing changes.  Man if that was my son and he pulled that he would have been drug off the field and it would have taken an act from GOD not too beat hell out of him . Very embarrassing!!! Has the parents said anything or ,made these jokers apologize?  Dangum shame !!!

oh so punish the other football players too?  Genius move. Smh

If school administration doesn't act decisively, then yes, I would say that all of the refs should refuse to call their other games. 

Two players were previously kicked out of the game prior to this assault... You can understand a kid losing it.  Two kids, maybe.  But you have these two attacking a ref, plus whatever offenses resulted in the other two kids being ejected.  Seems to be an out-of-control tream.... It makes me wonder if the coach has any control over his team at all, or they are a reflection of him.  When administration comes back with a statement that promises to "investigate what instigated the incident/" Well.... I don't expect much good to come from that administration, coach, or "other football players" either. 

I guess I grew up in a different world, where there was no excuse or "instigation" that would have justified a blindside "gang" attack on an official. 

@tjholmes: Major development NOW: A John Jay assistant coach is on administrative leave after players alleged he suggested ref "should pay."

@tjholmes: NOW: Northside Independent School District has filed a complaint about racial slur allegations against referee. #Refereehit

@tjholmes: NOW: school officials say head coach was NOT aware an asst coach had suggested to players that ref should "pay for cheating us." #refereehit

@tjholmes: School officials say players allege referee used racial slurs on more than one occasion during the game. #refereehit

@tjholmes: Athletic director: "we have to take this opportunity to teach young people that two wrongs don't make a right." #refereehit

@tjholmes: Major development NOW: A John Jay assistant coach is on administrative leave after players alleged he suggested ref "should pay."

@tjholmes: NOW: Northside Independent School District has filed a complaint about racial slur allegations against referee. #Refereehit

@tjholmes: NOW: school officials say head coach was NOT aware an asst coach had suggested to players that ref should "pay for cheating us." #refereehit

@tjholmes: School officials say players allege referee used racial slurs on more than one occasion during the game. #refereehit

@tjholmes: Athletic director: "we have to take this opportunity to teach young people that two wrongs don't make a right." #refereehit

when in doubt play the race card..... got love todays world.

What if it's true? Is it a surprise to anybody that not all the guys who sign up to make extra beer money as refs are fine upstanding citizens? There are always a few bad apples in the bunch. It doesn't excuse what these kids did, but if the guy was calling them a bunch of (insert slur against Hispanics) the entire game, then making calls that went against them, while they were in a close game against Marble Falls (mostly white)...you could see how a teenager might have gotten heated. These kids need to definitely be thrown off the team, but if anybody else can verify the allegations against the referee, get him away from the game as well, or I suppose he could ref the aryan brotherhood intramural games