***BRIDGE CITY COACHING FINALISTS UPDATED 2/9 3 FINALISTS***

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BC narrows AD finalists to four

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — Finding the right man is never easy but the Bridge City Independent School District has scanned plenty of resumes and have narrowed the choice to be Athletic Director and head football coach to four solid candidates.

That person will replace Claude Tarver, who led the Cardinals to three playoff appearances in five seasons. Tarver turned in his resignation in December but has stayed with his AD role until Bridge City fills the spot.

The four finalists include current Deweyville Athletic Director and head football coach Dwight Bickham; Bradley Oden, currently serving as an assistant coach at Rice Consolidated; Tommy Wallis, an assistant varsity coach at Ennis High School; and Chris Stump, the assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at Beaumont West Brook.

Bridge City Superintendent Darrell Myers has been pleased with the process.

““We’re losing a tremendous person in Claude (Tarver), said Myers. “We’ve had excellent candidate after excellent candidate. The district has had so many outstanding resumes to look over and believe me, there were a lot of tough decisions. There were so many quality individuals that didn’t make it in the top four, that’s what makes it so tough.â€

Bickham coached the Deweyville Pirates to back-to-back playoff appearances the last two seasons after the Pirates hadn’t been to the postseason since 1996. His two Pirate squads have went a combined 14-7, 7-4 in District 24-2A action. Bickham served as both offensive and defensive coordinator at Vidor and has been an assistant coach as well at both Little Cypress-Mauriceville and Buna.

Stump, the brother of West Brook head coach Craig Stump, is the Bruins’ offensive coordinator. Prior to arriving at West Brook, Stump served as offensive coordinator at both Cinco Ranch and Barbers Hill.

Wallis has certainly been in the business for awhile. He’s also currently the assistant principal at Ennis along with being an assistant coach. He’s been at Ennis the last 11 years. He has been a head coach and AD at Red Oak High School. He has served as the Ennis defensive coordinator and has also served as a defensive coordinator at Jacksonville, Kirbyville and Warren.

Oden, who played at West Brook and Lamar University, was a head coach at both Alvarado and Queen City and is now an assistant at Rice Consolidated.

Bridge City will hold a school board meeting tonight and board members will get a chance to meet the four candidates. The school district will more than likely decide who the next AD and head coach will be within the next two weeks.

“Everyone is anxious and I think we’ll get a superb gentleman to fill the position,†said Myers.

Tarver compiled a 36-19 mark in “Cardinal Country in his five-year stint. Tarver and his wife Karon, who accepted the title of director of instrument technology with the Fort Worth Independent School District, have moved most of their belongings to the Fort Worth area. Tarver and his wife have looked forward to moving to the Dallas area for a couple of years and his wife’s parents also live in the Fort Worth area.

Tarver was the head coach and AD at Hamshire-Fannett High School for 16 years before heading to Bridge City. Tarver’s career mark is 158-81-4.

Tarver replaced James Conway in Bridge City April, 2002 after directing H-F to 10 postseason appearances.

Of the four listed i would go with bickam or stumnp...None of the four listed are over impressive to me...would still like to see the list of other applicants....and would like to know who narrowed the list down...of course we all know who did the narrowing...stilll would have liked to see bolten get it....dont know alot about either bickam or stump....guess either one would be good....guess we will see

Guest Sports Cards

Of the four listed i would go with bickam or stumnp...None of the four listed are over impressive to me...would still like to see the list of other applicants....and would like to know who narrowed the list down...of course we all know who did the narrowing...stilll would have liked to see bolten get it....dont know alot about either bickam or stump....guess either one would be good....guess we will see

Stump has a pretty impressive resume and good Coaching pedigree.

Chris Stump may have been the offensive coordinator at west brook, but i bet his brother actually called the plays.

That may be correct, but his brother didn't call the plays at Cinco Ranch.  This guy can get it done in my opinon.  I know him and his family and they are all great coaches.  BC can't go wrong with Chirs.

Just an observation here. If you are an asst. coach at BC and have any dreams of moving up the ladder in the coaching business, the truth is that you have to LEAVE BC to do it. Looking at their past hires, nobody from within has been promoted. It seems that if a person is happy with being an asst. coach only, BC would be a good fit. If a person wants to move up, coordinator or head coach, doing it somewhere else is the only option. I bet they have lost some good asst. coaches because of this? This is just a thought that was in my messed up head.

I don't know any of the four, but I am sure they are good people and will do a good job.

For your information, some of you guys dont know hell from high water.  Bradley Oden has won three state championships.  One as a player at Westbrook and two as a coach at Schulenburg.  He is now an assistant and I think the main reason cause something happenened that was out of his control?  He would do a very good job there in my opinion.  Anyways just some insight for you guys who think he would be an EMBARRASSMENT.  You guys need to rethink a little before you say such comments. That is mainly you guys reading the newspapers and thats it.  Newspaper didnt write too much on Oden.  Let a person prove themselves a little for you guys start ripping at someone and dont know _ _ _ _ about a person. Thanks

Guest Bridge City Card

We would love to have Oden!! I've heard good things about him. Just a little pissed because this School district refuses to hire inside..EVER!!

Guest licketysplit

Well I do not know about two of the finalists, but this just goes to show you how crazy BC is...........I know of a few of the people on the list and BC "powers that be" as we say..........definitly are doing their own thing.  What is new?  If the list ever comes out then we all will see how skewed BC admin is in their narrowing of the lists.........they are selfish and definitly do not have the kids in mind.  Its an EGO thing.........we all know who that is...........Come on, lets be REAL.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder