5A SPLIT?

State Champs that played in GT District :

WOS -2 (Not sure if they were in our district in 87 maybe a WOS fan can confirm)

PNG- 3

Ned -1

Champs in Baytown district:

Barbers Hill -2

so far thats all I can find.

WOS was 4A in 87. PNG and Nederland moved down from 5A in 89. WOS was ranked #1 all season, beat PNG on a prayer with no time left, but lost in the 1rst round. We lost in the quarters.  99 we lost in the finals and 2000 WOS lost in the finals. So take it how you want, the old 20-4a produced 2 state finalists, 1quarter, and I think Nederland made either a quarter or semi. So we competed well. But as of late it's been hard. Lots of loaded teams.

WOS was 4A in 87. PNG and Nederland moved down from 5A in 89. WOS was ranked #1 all season, beat PNG on a prayer with no time left, but lost in the 1rst round. We lost in the quarters.  99 we lost in the finals and 2000 WOS lost in the finals. So take it how you want, the old 20-4a produced 2 state finalists, 1quarter, and I think Nederland made either a quarter or semi. So we competed well. But as of late it's been hard. Lots of loaded teams.

​And look at the landscape now. WOS doesn't even have 600 kids at their school now. PNG is now one of the smaller 5a's. Nederland has been hit or miss the last 10 years. People can say it's cyclical but it's not, there will only be more powerhouses created in the coming future. In a few re-alignments from now your district is going to have schools nearly 1000 kids under the enrollment cap. How do you think you'll fare then? PNG or Nederland or Vidor, etc. will never produce the level of athlete Ridge Point, George Ranch or Elkins will. While SETX may still have the big crowds, that's about all they'll ever have when compared to the squads out west. 15 years ago might as well be a century ago in THSF terms.

​And look at the landscape now. WOS doesn't even have 600 kids at their school now. PNG is now one of the smaller 5a's. Nederland has been hit or miss the last 10 years. People can say it's cyclical but it's not, there will only be more powerhouses created in the coming future. In a few re-alignments from now your district is going to have schools nearly 1000 kids under the enrollment cap. How do you think you'll fare then? PNG or Nederland or Vidor, etc. will never produce the level of athlete Ridge Point, George Ranch or Elkins will. While SETX may still have the big crowds, that's about all they'll ever have when compared to the squads out west. 15 years ago might as well be a century ago in THSF terms.

​It is cyclical.  In 10 years I think you are going to start seeing more people moving back into Houston (inside the loop) than moving to the suburbs as people realize that it is ridiculous to drive an hour and half to work and more areas like the Heights are revitalized.

​It is cyclical.  In 10 years I think you are going to start seeing more people moving back into Houston (inside the loop) than moving to the suburbs as people realize that it is ridiculous to drive an hour and half to work and more areas like the Heights are revitalized.

​I know if I worked in Houston I'd live in Houston - not a big fan of getting stressed out twice a day in peak Houston traffic -

IDK, the burbs are growing exponentially faster than the inner city right now. People might move back in but those are people willing to pay 300-400k for a 1500 sq ft. house, a house which you may get held up going to check your mail.  Those kids will go to the inner city private schools like St. Thomas or Episcopal. There's no land inside the loop, an extremely high crime rate and no good public schools. 

Once the Grand Pkwy is completed there will be a mass exodus from Houston proper. 5 years ago it took over a half hour to get downtown from Crosby. Now I can get on 90 off 2100 and be all the way to 610 in 15 mins. Same for lots of other areas. 

I believe there's only been one new school built in Houston proper while the burbs probably have 15 new schools built relatively recently. 

Humble ISD alone has built KP, SC and Atascosita since 2000, they also have plans for another high school due to SC almost being overcrowded already. 

If you look at the population growth map the Chronicle put out earlier this year you'll see very little growth in the inner city when compared to the burbs. All the new growth will be concentrated around the beltway and grand pkwy. 

​I know if I worked in Houston I'd live in Houston - not a big fan of getting stressed out twice a day in peak Houston traffic -

It depends where in Houston you work and what type of environment you want to live in. Pearland, Humble, Katy, Cypress, Deer Park, The Woodlands, Clear Lake and Spring give you a lot more than the inner city does IMO. 

It depends where in Houston you work and what type of environment you want to live in. Pearland, Humble, Katy, Cypress, Deer Park, The Woodlands, Clear Lake and Spring give you a lot more than the inner city does IMO. 

True ,but the trade off for the commute would still be a pain, Park&Ride would help a bit I suppose. I guess it's all what you get used too.

IDK, the burbs are growing exponentially faster than the inner city right now. People might move back in but those are people willing to pay 300-400k for a 1500 sq ft. house, a house which you may get held up going to check your mail.  Those kids will go to the inner city private schools like St. Thomas or Episcopal. There's no land inside the loop, an extremely high crime rate and no good public schools. 

Once the Grand Pkwy is completed there will be a mass exodus from Houston proper. 5 years ago it took over a half hour to get downtown from Crosby. Now I can get on 90 off 2100 and be all the way to 610 in 15 mins. Same for lots of other areas. 

I believe there's only been one new school built in Houston proper while the burbs probably have 15 new schools built relatively recently. 

Humble ISD alone has built KP, SC and Atascosita since 2000, they also have plans for another high school due to SC almost being overcrowded already. 

If you look at the population growth map the Chronicle put out earlier this year you'll see very little growth in the inner city when compared to the burbs. All the new growth will be concentrated around the beltway and grand pkwy. 

​Maybe, but 99 is at least 5 years out from being completed.  And look at the past loops that have been built, the beltway and 610 are ridiculous to get around on now ( yes due to people moving out in the burbs)  99 will probably be no different.  I usually took I-10 straight through to Baytown, but it could take as little as an hour to up to 2 1/2 hours to get in.  I do know some younger folks that I work with that are living in the downtown area so that is a sign that people are starting to head back in as there are tons of things to do around there.  (Although they do not have kids).

Edited by bigdog

I was just giving info. Like ive stated before, I ride the PN-G, and WOS bandwagon. Playoff time Ill throw in Nederland.  We have hardware, and albeit it may be old, but we have got it. And once in a while we make a run. So good luck to you and your team.. Hopefully you might get some hardware in the future. And just for my 2 cents 02. Are you from Crosby? Play football for Crosby?

​Maybe, but 99 is at least 5 years out from being completed.  And look at the past loops that have been built, the beltway and 610 are ridiculous to get around on now ( yes due to people moving out in the burbs)  99 will probably be no different.  I usually took I-10 straight through to Baytown, but it could take as little as an hour to up to 2 1/2 hours to get in.  I do know some younger folks that I work with that are living in the downtown area so that is a sign that people are starting to head back in as there are tons of things to do around there.  (Although they do not have kids).

Comparatively speaking it's actually pretty easy to get around the beltway now with an EZ Tag, even at rush hour. 99 will relive a great majority of the traffic. There are 1000-35000 acre tracts like Generation Park and Shadow Creek being developed in the suburbs all around town now that will that will alter the THSF landscape even more. I have young engineers at my job moving downtown too, but even when/if they have kids they won't be ball players you really have to contend with. 

I was just giving info. Like ive stated before, I ride the PN-G, and WOS bandwagon. Playoff time Ill throw in Nederland.  We have hardware, and albeit it may be old, but we have got it. And once in a while we make a run. So good luck to you and your team.. Hopefully you might get some hardware in the future. And just for my 2 cents 02. Are you from Crosby? Play football for Crosby?

From Crosby, played running back at Crosby and committed to Rice out of high school. Auxiliary issues caused me to go to South Dakota State. Our big conference rival up there was NDSU who has won the last 4 FCS national titles. 

Edited by coog02

​Next its gonna be 5 teams make the playoffs. I can see the lower classifications having a split, I cant see 6A & 5A doing it, honestly I dont really like it in 4A.

They don it because if the numbers. Two teams around JT  are at 1100 and 1200 as of last fall JT had 2153. Lufkin had 2154 and Longview 2100. If the UIL goes up on the numbers it will be really unfair.

They don it because if the numbers. Two teams around JT  are at 1100 and 1200 as of last fall JT had 2153. Lufkin had 2154 and Longview 2100. If the UIL goes up on the numbers it will be really unfair.

​you think the UIL cares?  Nope. All they see is $$$$$$$$$… 

​Yeah, I lived in Katy and drove to Baytown every day for a year and a half.  No more!

​That's not driving into town for work.  That is driving across the world for work.....Might as well live in Beaumont and drive to Houston for work.

​Pretentious

Not at all. I assume the question he asked me was in reference to my football acumen. I answered accordingly. 

Pretentious would be highlighting the football accomplishments of my uncles and younger cousins, some of which were high school and college all-Americans and played in the league. 

My statements about my sons once they accomplish something might be deemed pretentious, but the only person who would think that now is someone who's never done it. 

​That's not driving into town for work.  That is driving across the world for work.....Might as well live in Beaumont and drive to Houston for work.

​I do now, moved back to Nederland and the drive is much more relaxing no matter what the weather or downtown Houston traffic is doing! 45 min drive now.

Edited by bigdog

Not at all. I assume the question he asked me was in reference to my football acumen. I answered accordingly. 

Pretentious would be highlighting the football accomplishments of my uncles and younger cousins, some of which were high school and college all-Americans and played in the league. 

My statements about my sons once they accomplish something might be deemed pretentious, but the only person who would think that now is someone who's never done it. 

It's hard to read some of the people on here is why I asked. I assumed you might have played, just didn't know if you where from Crosby. However I did realize you had some football IQ..

Edited by Stattrax