Deweyville's Larry Jackson To Chireno

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot guys. I've been at work here at Chireno for four days and things are fantastic. We've had four really great days of BASKETBALL off-season. Just a side note: there are 101 kids in high school - so approximately 50 boys. 31 are in the basketball program and then there are 12 straight baseball players. So that is approximately 43 out of 50 boys in high shcool in athletiics. WOW Thanks for your support.

• 3 weeks later...

not only did Deweyville lose a coach, they lost a great teacher. Coach Jackson is one of the few coaches that REALLY care about their students, (not just atheletes). He helped anyone who asked for it. He hepled no matter what subject the student was having trouble in. He also did what a TRUE COACH does, he checked up on his athlete's grades and if they were failing, they came to his room after school for a study hall, so they could get their grades where they needed to be so they could pass and play. He cared about the STUDENTS as individuals not what they could contribute to the team. He was a teacher first and then a coach. He took both of his roles very seriously. He is a true TEACHER and a COACH. It's a great loss for the students and the community. But it has turned out to be a BLESSING for him and his family. Coach Jackson, Joni, Makayla, Luke, Caleb and Jacob will be greatly missed. They are a super family and the boys will all be missed on the hardwood. Best WIshes Coach and family.

Thanks proudpiratefan, thanks for your support. We really loved our time at Deweyville and love all of you (some not as much as others...lol) but we do miss you all and wish the PIRATES nothing but the best this coming school year. I sincerely hope that playoffs are achieved in every sport. There are some wonderful people there and some awesome kids.

We do absolutely love it here in Chireno. But that in no way speaks negatively about Deweyville.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Coach Jackson and his familyare greatly missed by alot of us in Deweyville. But I am really glad that ya'll were blessed with a job closer to your family. I know they really enjoy you, Joni and their grandkids being closer to them. Ya'll take care and BEST wishes for a greatly successful career in Chireno. They are truly blessed to have ya'll.

Yes, alot of us here in Deweyville, really miss Coach Jackson and his family. They are a great bunch!!!! Coach Jackson definetly got the raw end of the deal. But that happens when you bring in an AD that is the head football coach, and all he cares about is the football team. As long as he can bring in his own coaches and put them where he wants to, so they can help him with football team, he doesn't care that they are not quality coaches at the other sports he puts them to coach. IMO

He wouldn't even allow his varsity football players to participate in an annual blood drive at the school. No it wasn't on game day either.

Coach we wish you the best of luck. Hope you have a very successful career in Chireno. You'll always have friends in Deweyville.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the way it always goes in deweyville football rules over the other sports.Here's an interesting fact for you in dville when i was a freshman we made the playoffs in basketball in 1993 for the first time since my dad's senior year which was 1972 .Guess what happened that same year .Yep your right dville started football so you can say football ruined the great traditon of basketball in Deweyville.My dad tells me all the great stories about how Dville was the greatest back in the sixties and early seventies.Ever since football we been pro football and everything else got put on the back burner.When i was in high we went to the payoffs in basketball 3 years and baseball 2 years and football ZERO years and we had a PRO football AD that hated other sports.One year in basketball our coach quit right before school and we were ranked and the school board and AD wouldnt hire somebody that wanted to coach but instead put a retired coach in there that told us in practice they were making him coach us. Tell me something isnt wrong with that picture.Yea so we the players went and found somebody that wanted to coach us.Yea we still went to the playoffs didnt do as good as we should have but did alright. The problem is we arent a football school we are a basketball baseball school that has football.So Deweyville as a whole needs to realize that and hire a basketball and baseball coach and fill in with football.Coach Jackson was great to me when i was there I only got to spend one year when him .Coach Jackson taught me so many of the little things that made me better.When I was there I got to enjoy 3 playoff teams and loved playing there.Deweyville has once again sold theirselves to the devil(football) for a couple years in the playoffs while we have some good kids then Bickham will leave to go to another school with more athletes and more money and willl leave Dville without anything just like when Tilton took a playoff run and ran right afterwards.Dewyville isnt a football town its just every once in awhile we have a good group with good numbers just like 97 and these 2 years then we will suck again.Coach Jackson was the best thing to happen to dville basketball in a long time and then you let an outside come and ruin that for a couple of years of football promise hope your happy with these playoff runs cuz they'll be over soon and Bickham will run while the gettings good.Coach Jackson see ya later Your slowest greatest point guard you ever coached yes and you can bet he knows who I am.

I had the privelege of playing against Deweyville in the early to mid 70's and you are correct.I can remember Warren and Deweyville in the late 60.s and early 70's.There was only ONE playoff team and that was some great standing room only games.Jessie Wolf (Tyler County Sheriff) and his brother James sure made those games special.Actually the best coach I ever saw down there coached the girls(they were very good back then also)Al Barbe who later went to Lamar.Deweyville has a good football club this year,but they also have tons of potential in basketball.I always enjoyed watching Coach Jackson coach,as long as I wasn't officiating.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin