Free Community College

Mr. Buddy Garrity

Legitimate question everybody complain about taxes this taxes that. But honestly do some even now how much taxes is taken out of there checks for this or that. Like I pay taxes like the next guy. Everyone pay taxes on things they could careless about. Let's not pretend you'll go bankrupt. This seem like a good idea.

Legitimate question everybody complain about taxes this taxes that. But honestly do some even now how much taxes is taken out of there checks for this or that. Like I pay taxes like the next guy. Everyone pay taxes on things they could careless about. Let's not pretend you'll go bankrupt. This seem like a good idea.

There are lots of good ideas...I just don't want to pay for them.

As long as the students are willing to work for it, I am all for it. A hand up versus a hand out. This is investing in our youth. I'm a smaller government guy, but I can get on board for this given it is for American citizens. We will have to see how this pans out, though. It could well be like the ACA where it is nothing like what was promised.

The strict constitutionalist in me says the federal government should be reducing its involvement in education, not increasing it.

The fiscal conservative in me says that we should be figuring out a way to turn this deficit around, not to spend more money.

The social conservative in me says that giving away more free stuff is just going to perpetuate entitlement ideology and make people appreciate things even less.

The economist in me says that educating the workforce is generally a good idea that yields a proven economic benefit if done correctly.

The pragmatist in me says that most of the vocational training that community colleges offer which actually benefits the economy should be offered at the high school level anyways, and agrees with the constitutionalist on how that's a state responsibility and not a federal responsibility.

That's four negatives and one toss-up. Any questions?

A couple other poisnt. We, as taxpayers are footing the bill already in the form of Pell grants. Obama said "free if the students are willing to work for it" If the students are working for it, are they not earning it? One of the lawmakers said this is a talking point, not a plan. He is right... Until the 2000+ page bill comes out, it is little more than a campaign type promise. Who knows what is really in store here!

A couple other poisnt. We, as taxpayers are footing the bill already in the form of Pell grants. Obama said "free if the students are willing to work for it" If the students are working for it, are they not earning it? One of the lawmakers said this is a talking point, not a plan. He is right... Until the 2000+ page bill comes out, it is little more than a campaign type promise. Who knows what is really in store here!

History shows us what's in store...another fed program funded by the taxpayers.

If you want to go to CC, earn a scholarship or get a job and pay for it.

The fed gov should not be involved in this...if the states choose to participate and fund it, fine.

Yep I read he article and let me assure you that nothing is free someone will pay and it wont be the folks that pay no taxes!  One can get grants now if they cant pay for college. My kids were not eligible you know the type white and had tax paying parents!  I guess I could chalk it up to white privilege!

Sponsor a work bill. ... create fed gov incentive.... for every one person removed from welfare one of these "scholarships" become available. ... win win for everyone. ... someone becomes independent by getting off welfare. ... someone gets and opportunity through education. ... and taxes don't get raised.

Similar but a little off topic. I have two daughters. Once got pregnant soon out of high school and was a lower income single mother so she has received a paid college education. The other went to work and did not get pregnant and gets to pay for her college education.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for my daughter but it's not a fair picture.

@WhiteHouse: RT to share the news: President Obama just announced his #FreeCommunityCollege proposal → http://go.wh.gov/comm-college http://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/553329089335926785/photo/1

Buddy, I agree with Steve, there's no such thing as Free!  Even if one agreed with this, we are 18 Trillion in debt!  We are bankrupt.   We don't have the money!

The federal government is writing checks that it can't cash. 

The state government in our state (and likely in most others with some on the verge of bankruptcy) has cut back on education funds to keep taxes down. 

Where are you now going to get the money to pay for two years of college? 

Not only will such a program end hundreds of million dollars from private funds coming into colleges, it will very likely increase student enrollment. That means more teachers, more classrooms, etc., so it will not be a matter of funding what already exists but will be expanding the already overburdened system. 

If a nation can simply print money and not have to back it up with taxes (real money) or precious metals, why not just end all taxes, print all the paper we want with nothing to back it up and see what happens. 

It is a stupid idea which is just an attempt at another nail in the coffin for freedom. The attempt is to no longer be responsible for anything except the federal government. Obamacare was a foot in the door and he wants to add a possible equally disastrous expense. At least in healthcare, some of us have to put money into the system by buying insurance (even at inflated rates to the slugs can get theirs free). Where will the private money be pumped in from for colleges if it is all "free"?

By the way, I have read a couple of articles on the proposal and there is no proposal on how it would actually be accomplished or funded. There is only the claim that it is needed.