Texas Bowl: Arkansas vs. Texas

Roper84

ATM had 523 yards against the Hogs, for those of you in the comparison game.

And as usual you needed every yard.

UT had zero identity last night. They failed in every aspect on offense. Swoopes is just not the guy. He keeps the ball on 1 zone read and scores, but never runs the ball again. Way too many 3rd and 15's.

The defense was vastly improved this year. They tackled better and kept UT in some games. They need a lot more depth if the offense is going to be so bad.

Excited about next season.

UT had zero identity last night. They failed in every aspect on offense. Swoopes is just not the guy. He keeps the ball on 1 zone read and scores, but never runs the ball again. Way too many 3rd and 15's.

The defense was vastly improved this year. They tackled better and kept UT in some games. They need a lot more depth if the offense is going to be so bad.

Texas lost 5 games this year by 20+ points which has never happened in their 122 year history. I'm not really buying the line that their defense is that great. What's going to happen next year when most of your top defensive guys are gone?

Defense not only keep the horns in many games this year - it won one or two for them - the question on the defensive side of the ball is how do you replace the 6 SR starters?

And of those 3 of those 6 were all big 12 performers.

Defense not only keep the horns in many games this year - it won one or two for them - the question on the defensive side of the ball is how do you replace the 6 SR starters?

And of those 3 of those 6 were all big 12 performers.

The offense has to get better. That's the bottom line.

The defense will be fine.

All those 20t point losses fall on the offense also. The defense can't be on the field all the time.
How many years has it taken for the arky coach to get his recruits and players in place. The hogs will be a force to be reckoned with for years to come now that he has 'his' people.
Longhorn fans need to just calm down and let Coach Strong get the players he needs for the offense.
With that said, I wanna win now!! Lol

Mr Buddy Garrity, your Hogs looked good last night. I suspect they'll do better in the SEC West next year. I don't think they can beat either Bama team, but they ought to run the table on Mississippi teams plus a few more Good wins to boot! As far as Texas goes, I hope Coach Strong can recruit some talent. Mack Brown left the cupboard bare...

Mr Buddy Garrity, your Hogs looked good last night. I suspect they'll do better in the SEC West next year. I don't think they can beat either Bama team, but they ought to run the table on Mississippi teams plus a few more Good wins to boot! As far as Texas goes, I hope Coach Strong can recruit some talent. Mack Brown left the cupboard bare...

I have said it before and will say it again - but the "cupboard bare" argument seem to hold little or no water.

Texas recruiting classes: (scout.com)

2010 - 3

2011 - 3

2012 - 1

2013 - 23

2014 - 15

On Texas current 2 deep roster they have (as recruits) 7  - 5 Stars and 17 - 4 Stars (I did not look at 3 Stars or below) - Most teams would love to have those numbers of 4 and 5 Star recruits on their team - and all those were recruited by Mack Brown and company.  Funny thing is that 4 of the 5 5 - Star players are on the offensive side of the ball.  

I know that Strong kicked some pretty decent players off the team and likely for good cause - but they still had plenty of talent on the team - just maybe not developed or utilized properly - and mainly at the QB position but the two deep there is even a 5 - Star and a 4 - Star.

And I also understand that recruiting rankings to not always pay off but i just feel the cupboard was far from "bare". 

We're a year away from being great. 

Guys, I'm not hating on Texas... If you look at the product on the fild this season and last, look at the number of players that went to the NFL last year(None!) Then tell me about how good those recruits are! I do belive in Charlie Strong, and I do believe he will right the ship. Right now, the players he has to work with dont field a good team. You can count all the stars you want... Last night and all season, they have been a mediocre team at best. For a team of Texas stature and the expectations to go along with it, the cupboard is bare!

The cupboards were not bare. There was plenty of talent. If you ever watched Iron Chef on Food Network you see two chefs with the same ingredients prepare very different meals. In the end, one meal tastes better than the other. That's where UT was. Mack was not mixing the ingredients properly. Chef Charlie is stirring things up. We will see how it tastes when he's done cooking.

Ala cuisine!

Guys, I'm not hating on Texas... If you look at the product on the fild this season and last, look at the number of players that went to the NFL last year(None!) Then tell me about how good those recruits are! I do belive in Charlie Strong, and I do believe he will right the ship. Right now, the players he has to work with dont field a good team. You can count all the stars you want... Last night and all season, they have been a mediocre team at best. For a team of Texas stature and the expectations to go along with it, the cupboard is bare!

No you are not hating on Texas - but you are drinking the burnt orange kool-aide.  When Sumlin's team gives up 59 against Alabama it has to be the coaching - when Texas gains only 59 yards in a bowl game then it just has to be the talent the coaching cannot - noooooooooooo cannot be even part of the issue  :P

Texas fans are giving the credit to the defense to Strong when in fact every member of that defense was recruited and 9 of them were returning starters under Mack Brown - how is that a bare cupboard?

Strong I think did have some really bad luck when Ash went down and I do not think that Texas had a legitimate replacement trained at that time.  But with the exception of the O-Line Texas had all of its skill players back from the 8-5 2013 Horns.  Take that Strong kicked off some of his starting O-line (could be a topic of discussion all in itself) he might have done this to himself.  Texas problems are at QB and the O-line and if you cannot get them to perform better than they did against Arkansas - is the coaching the problem or the talent?

Look I am not Strong bashing - I have stated that I think that he will be good for Texas many times in the past - but you cannot overlook the fact that he and his coaching staff could not figure out how to get more than 59 yards against Arkansas - you know what you have 13 games into a season and you make a game plan to best use your resources.  

If Texas cannot figure out the O-Line problems getting a new QB may not make any difference.

No you are not hating on Texas - but you are drinking the burnt orange kool-aide.  When Sumlin's team gives up 59 against Alabama it has to be the coaching - when Texas gains only 59 yards in a bowl game then it just has to be the talent the coaching cannot - noooooooooooo cannot be even part of the issue  :P

Texas fans are giving the credit to the defense to Strong when in fact every member of that defense was recruited and 9 of them were returning starters under Mack Brown - how is that a bare cupboard?

Strong I think did have some really bad luck when Ash went down and I do not think that Texas had a legitimate replacement trained at that time.  But with the exception of the O-Line Texas had all of its skill players back from the 8-5 2013 Horns.  Take that Strong kicked off some of his starting O-line (could be a topic of discussion all in itself) he might have done this to himself.  Texas problems are at QB and the O-line and if you cannot get them to perform better than they did against Arkansas - is the coaching the problem or the talent?

Look I am not Strong bashing - I have stated that I think that he will be good for Texas many times in the past - but you cannot overlook the fact that he and his coaching staff could not figure out how to get more than 59 yards against Arkansas - you know what you have 13 games into a season and you make a game plan to best use your resources.  

If Texas cannot figure out the O-Line problems getting a new QB may not make any difference.

+1!

Texas's defense played well last season after they fired Diaz and those guys are a year older. Most of you forget to mention that while praising how great Charlie is.

So what exactly has Charlie done to make yall think he's so great besides kick players off the team and field a defense that could possibly be worse than last year?

Texas's defense played well last season after they fired Diaz and those guys are a year older. Most of you forget to mention that while praising how great Charlie is.
So what exactly has Charlie done to make yall think he's so great besides kick players off the team and field a defense that could possibly be worse than last year?

He kicked players off the team. That was a good start.

He's trying to change the mindset at UT. Since you follow UT so closely, I'm sure you listened to his press conference last night. He was really not happy with the season, Can't blame him.

No one is happy with losing. It's not acceptable. Only time will tell how Charlie is doing at UT. He will either win or they will find someone who can. I, for what it's worth, am wiling to give him some time. I like the way he holds young men accountable. Not enough of that happening this day and age.

One thing for sure, the SHORT turn around I was hoping for is more than likely NOT going to happen, after the way the Horns played their last 2 games this year. I believe Strong can and will turn things around but its gonna take a few years to see a major improvement. I don't believe the cupboard was left bare by Mack but the Quarterback situation does lie in Mack Browns court. Went a couple of years without recruiting a good one. And, it has bitten Texas in the buttocks the last few years.

The O-Line...... well there were players there, but some of the more gifted ones, thought they didn't have to WORK or FOLLOW the rules, and to Strongs credit, he got rid of their arses! Can't fault him for that. And, you can't fault Brown on how those kids turned out.