SHSU @ #5 Villanova

CraigS

In theory the Kats should win this game - after all they man handled the #3 team...#5 should be possible. After reading a bit about Nova I think they match up better with the Kats than JSU did, and the weather may be more of a factor in Philly....I'm thinking it's gonna be the battle of QB play - as it always is for the Kats - JJ plays well Kats win, but can he play well 2 games in a row....I don't think they can beat Nova if he plays like he did against SELA. He just needs to realize he has plenty of weapons and he doesn't have to "win" the game. just don't "lose" it...let your playmakers make plays, just get them the ball....

BearKats -31

Wildcats - 20 (PJ blocks his 6th kick of the season setting a SHSU school record)

Kats extend what is already considered the impossible season! Southland Strong!

I sure hope you are right Craig! Both of these teams have made a name for themselves in FCS football over the years, lets hope we get the last laugh.

My college days are over, but boy would I like for the Kats have another shot at NDST up in Frisco  :D

Well it would be sooner than that if they do get another shot...if both win this weekend, the Kats will play NDSU in the Fargo dome...which may be a bit harder than in Frisco...I watched them play this past weekend on TV, whereas, I do not think NDSU is as strong as the last 3 years (they did lose a game this year)...and they struggled to win against South Dakota in the dome...the fact remains...they have NEVER lost a playoff game in the dome.

But, I would still like to see that matchup...

You're right, I was looking at the bracket backwards. Fantastic haha talk about underdogs!

We have to take care of business this weekend first, Nova aint no pushover.

What are your feelings about the new coach? I can say one thing, his fashion sense needs a major upgrade because those uniforms are UG-LY!

I've supported the hire from the beginning. Several of the old timers on Katfans.com were ready to run him out town after the CS-P loss. I was at that game....SHSU played terrible against a very good #2 DII team and got embarrassed at home and broke the home win streak of like 21 straight games.

Keeler and staff took a deep look into personnel and made changes accordingly since starting 1-3 they have gone 9-1 and still playing - 3rd of playoffs and the ONLY non seeded team remaining. Making the Kats at least a top 8 FCS team - with only 2 starting seniors and only 2 others on the 2 deep chart...

With that said, I looked at Keelers past coaching records...be it DIII or DI - going to 7 NC's and winning 2 is not by accident...he must have done something right. Others complained....what has he done lately? Why did UD fire him....well, a little more research tells those answers.....

Anyhow - Keeler was a great FCS (Div I 2A) player in his day - playing and winning a NC and coaching in several others....been there done that - and will hopefully do it again - looking good so far.

I will be the first to admit I wasn't convinced this was a good hire after the start to the season. Looking back now that was way to early to write someone off. As Bearkats we've been spoiled with winning over the last few years and losing regular season games the way we did just didn't sit right with many alumni. However, look where we are now, sitting in round 3 with a QB who can be somewhat suspect, and no real superstar type player like we have seen in years past besides Overstreet. So from that perspective he has done one great job with an extremely young team. I like what I see and the more he wins the more fan support he will gain.

P.S: I do miss Fritz!!!

I will be the first to admit I wasn't convinced this was a good hire after the start to the season. Looking back now that was way to early to write someone off. As Bearkats we've been spoiled with winning over the last few years and losing regular season games the way we did just didn't sit right with many alumni. However, look where we are now, sitting in round 3 with a QB who can be somewhat suspect, and no real superstar type player like we have seen in years past besides Overstreet. So from that perspective he has done one great job with an extremely young team. I like what I see and the more he wins the more fan support he will gain.

P.S: I do miss Fritz!!!

I've only become a "follower / fan" since last year. Daughter went to Sam to high jump. I was only a casual fan for a local team and being a fan of football did take notice of local success as I did when McNeese had similar success.

I've been to probably 8-10 games over the last 2 years. I find the difference between the 2 coaches styles quite large. Whereas I didn't really go to games during Fritz's "glory days" but I can say I really Like Keelers style, especially his ability to make adjustments....being the overall team style of play to align with current players, or adjustments made at halftime....with the exception of Northwestern St...that was bad...

I will say this though - I'm not sure what we see in the Kats now, will be what we see in the long run...I see (from what I've read) that Keeler will be building to a more "high powered" type offense with more passing....then again...he may have learned that down here in Texas. he may can have the best of both worlds with a balanced style offense.

Hmmmm...that would be interesting if he did change to that. I'm not sold that we have the players to run that type of run and gun offense, even though I am a big fan of the fast pace style. You have to play to your teams strengths, and our identity for years has been run run run, play action, run some more!

Time will tell if Keeler is the man, who knows changes might be necessary in the upcoming years, we shall see.

Your daughter picked the right school that is for sure. Gotta love Hunstville and those Bearkats! EAT EM UP!

Hmmmm...that would be interesting if he did change to that. I'm not sold that we have the players to run that type of run and gun offense, even though I am a big fan of the fast pace style. You have to play to your teams strengths, and our identity for years has been run run run, play action, run some more!

Time will tell if Keeler is the man, who knows changes might be necessary in the upcoming years, we shall see.

Your daughter picked the right school that is for sure. Gotta love Hunstville and those Bearkats! EAT EM UP!

That's what got us in trouble early...he tried to run the "run and gun" but JJ wasn't able to do the "gun" part - then the change was made after the CS-P game - which was a good idea....however, I think we should look at the recruiting this year....that should tell us if he is recruiting to "stay the same" or "make the transition"....

I'm with you...I like the pound the rock first, then let the play action make the passing game look to be incredible....JJ is a great runner...if he can just be more consistent in hitting the 10-15 yarders to keep the other team from loading the box....the backs (all 3) will run wild!

and the daughter tends to agree with you - as she has told me...more than once - she bleeds orange!...which is funny....because before this - she bled purple....hahahaha she won't even wear her LSU clothes anymore...due to SFA

As far as uni's - I agree...but they are mostly from last year...we will see what KC as in order with next years look.

Yea I don't care for the blue pants look. Looks like we should be in the SWAC conference. I like blue as a secondary color, but orange jerseys and white pants look better.

Whereas Overstreet is definitely capable of carrying the load. .. he's done it the last 2 weeks. .. (actually all year). .... versus #9 and #3 ... Hill should be back from a concussion vs SELA (on opening kickoff) and flu vs JSU.... the three headed monster .... technically 4.... should roll. ... all 3 backs and Johnson have over 600 yards rushing.... It'll be hard enough to key on any one of them. ..a constant rotation of fresh legs and different styles of running will be very difficult. ... And if JJ is on his passing game... Well. .. they are fun to watch. ... And then theres that defense. ..