WOS Mustangs vs La Marque Cougars

tennisbc

I agree! Probably gonna be an old school head basher Friday night! With the physical play our boys showed last Friday night, I can't wait!!!! One thing is for sure, gonna be a ton of great athletes on the field!! Just think the stangs are the better team! I see the stangs winning with a score around 35-20

Athletes all over the field. Wonder how many current or former NFL players played at these 2 schools

first of all, i'm being nice and allowing those teams left to be included. setx DOES NOT  INCLUDE jasper, newton, kirbyville, NORTH SHORE, or Crosby. these are just in because of the "coverage" area. wos,HJ, and EC is what you really have. for those of us OLD enough, know what or who true setx football is. golden triangle. chambers,hardin, jefferson, liberty, and orange counties.. I wasn't at the WOS game last week. was getting updates and 14-14 at halftime is a struggle. at one point wos trailed. wos pulled away in the 4th. 3 qtrs the game was close. that's a  struggle for a so called powerhouse has been. i don't care about being wrong on a score. point is, you done this week chicken hawk. you speak as if LM got blown out against TC. a rivalry game that could have gone either way. LM plays up when needed. haven't had to do this year. they have a bad habit of playing down to teams who have no business on a football field with them. now go stand in the corner jr.

You're not being nice, you're being overconfident. You took the bet, don't try making excuses now. I know exactly what the golden triangle is, but we're talking about the SETX coverage area. One kickoff return was the only reason Giddings was in that game at all. It wasn't a struggle for West Orange. You being THAT wrong on a score certainly shows that you don't know what you're talking about, despite you're "vast football knowledge." I definitely didn't say that TC blew out LM. I simply stated that the only quality opponent they faced, they lost. Which is completely true. I'll go stand in a corner when you quit with the ridiculous posts old man. Your washed up old predictions are just that - wrong. When LM loses this week, they'll regret not scheduling some more quality opponents.

Coog nation just hoping another hurricane doesn't come thru and destroy what's left of that crap hole. What percentage of that dump lives in poverty?

Please explain to me how young men going out there and giving their best in an organized game of playoff football has ANYTHING to do with who lives in poverty or not ?? Don't make this about yourself... We're here to talk sports.

You're not being nice, you're being overconfident. You took the bet, don't try making excuses now. I know exactly what the golden triangle is, but we're talking about the SETX coverage area. One kickoff return was the only reason Giddings was in that game at all. It wasn't a struggle for West Orange. You being THAT wrong on a score certainly shows that you don't know what you're talking about, despite you're "vast football knowledge." I definitely didn't say that TC blew out LM. I simply stated that the only quality opponent they faced, they lost. Which is completely true. I'll go stand in a corner when you quit with the ridiculous posts old man. Your washed up old predictions are just that - wrong. When LM loses this week, they'll regret not scheduling some more quality opponents.

And if/when they win, then what say you ....??

Please explain to me how young men going out there and giving their best in an organized game of playoff football has ANYTHING to do with who lives in poverty or not ?? Don't make this about yourself... We're here to talk sports.

Never once did I say anything about kids. I've got tons of respect for LM program..one of the most storied programs in the state.

Even though it is pretty torturous to read MightyMouses comments having grown up with Mustang football running through my veins, at some point you have to take a step back and look at the big picture. I am not discrediting any of the teams in years past for accomplishing what they have but whether many of yall want to admit to it or not, we haven't lived up to standards in many of those years. Playoff games which we were the better team (More talent, better coaching, etc.) have slipped by us. At some point we do have to be real with ourselves and understand that 3rd&4th rounds aren't enough with the program that we have, we have to and I am confident that we will eventually get over that hump and make it back to Dallas.

On a side note, Stangs prevail @ Stallworth.

Even though it is pretty torturous to read MightyMouses comments having grown up with Mustang football running through my veins, at some point you have to take a step back and look at the big picture. I am not discrediting any of the teams in years past for accomplishing what they have but whether many of yall want to admit to it or not, we haven't lived up to standards in many of those years. Playoff games which we were the better team (More talent, better coaching, etc.) have slipped by us. At some point we do have to be real with ourselves and understand that 3rd&4th rounds aren't enough with the program that we have, we have to and I am confident that we will eventually get over that hump and make it back to Dallas.

On a side note, Stangs prevail @ Stallworth.

I understand what you are saying but for the number of kids that come out and play I think we have done real well.We actualy didn't do this well in the old 4A class as for as how far we've gone in the playoffs each year consistently.

first of all, i'm being nice and allowing those teams left to be included. setx DOES NOT  INCLUDE jasper, newton, kirbyville, NORTH SHORE, or Crosby. these are just in because of the "coverage" area. wos,HJ, and EC is what you really have. for those of us OLD enough, know what or who true setx football is. golden triangle. chambers,hardin, jefferson, liberty, and orange counties.. I wasn't at the WOS game last week. was getting updates and 14-14 at halftime is a struggle. at one point wos trailed. wos pulled away in the 4th. 3 qtrs the game was close. that's a  struggle for a so called powerhouse has been. i don't care about being wrong on a score. point is, you done this week chicken hawk. you speak as if LM got blown out against TC. a rivalry game that could have gone either way. LM plays up when needed. haven't had to do this year. they have a bad habit of playing down to teams who have no business on a football field with them. now go stand in the corner jr.

somebody was giving you some bad information. It was 20-14 at the half and WOS never trailed

I understand what you are saying but for the number of kids that come out and play I think we have done real well.We actualy didn't do this well in the old 4A class as for as how far we've gone in the playoffs each year consistently.

I honestly think even when we were in 5A(old 4A) early 2000's, we had the same amount of talent and kids we have now. We have always been out numbered and even out sized. The difference is being in 4A(3A), teams are a lot more matched to us. Even if you want to go way back to when I played, we never had over 35 dressed out on Varsity and had over 1k student in the HS.

Yes we don't have the number of kids that other teams have, but they don't have the talent that we have. Ill take quality over quantity any day. Yes, teams such as Navasota and Wimberly were just too much for us, obviously the better team. However, a team such as Carthage last year, or a Coldspring team that ran it right down our throats a few years back that IMO we were equally matched with and we took losses...we have to pull those game out if we want to be making a trip to Jerry's world.

I honestly think even when we were in 5A(old 4A) early 2000's, we had the same amount of talent and kids we have now. We have always been out numbered and even out sized. The difference is being in 4A(3A), teams are a lot more matched to us. Even if you want to go way back to when I played, we never had over 35 dressed out on Varsity and had over 1k student in the HS.

That's what I was getting at Kicker.We have done pretty good for the number of kids that come out and play.Going 3,4 rounds deep for years says you have a good program regardless weather you make it to state.We have just ran into teams that were better than us and that ain't no reason to hang your head.

That's what I was getting at Kicker.We have done pretty good for the number of kids that come out and play.Going 3,4 rounds deep for years says you have a good program regardless weather you make it to state.We have just ran into teams that were better than us and that ain't no reason to hang your head.
[/quote]

[/quote HJ will NOT be the ones that hang there heads LG WILL BE

I do agree that 3rd&4th rounds year after year after year is pretty spectacular...BUT when do we get over the hill and win one of these games that IMO we are evenly matched. For that reason and for that reason only I feel that we have underperformed when on the big stage, not saying choked, but haven't been able to get it done yet. The time is coming though,,,quite possibly this year :D

GUNHO

You made an excellent point when you said “Going 3/4rounds deep in the playoff for years does mean that you have a good program regardless if you make it to state”  I agree because what it says it that the foundation for winning is solid the components are in place to win multiple titles on the state level. Most teams cannot say that they get the opportunity to make those goals a reality. I believe that WOS is blessed to have the kids and leaders who coach and have produced championships, runner up positions, and so many district titles over the years.  IMO the extra push that will lead the team to a state championship is, the extra drive the young men who suit up and take the football field from WOS stay focused, and play with an extra intensity that will propel them to move forward. The Kids will need to raise their level of play, the coaches cannot do it for them. 

I do agree that 3rd&4th rounds year after year after year is pretty spectacular...BUT when do we get over the hill and win one of these games that IMO we are evenly matched. For that reason and for that reason only I feel that we have underperformed when on the big stage, not saying choked, but haven't been able to get it done yet. The time is coming though,,,quite possibly this year :D

So, what games over the years do you think we should have won? I can think of a few. Probably LaMarque in '95 and especially '97. Silsbee '98. I missed the 2000 Ennis game but have heard some say we played terrible the first half. Huffman '04, Giddings '07??, Carthage 2013....

The most recent ones that come to mind is lasts years Carthage game (Give up a first down on 4th and infinity), the Coldspring game in '11 where they ran it right up the middle ALL NIGHT, and of course the Huffman game in '04...I don't think any of those teams where better than us, pretty evenly matched, and we should have won. Chalk up Navasota and Wimberley to being all around the better teams. We will see if we can close the deal this year, I sure hope we can do it! Ill tell you one thing, ill be yelling pretty loud this Friday night in Baytown for my Stangs!!!

The most recent ones that come to mind is lasts years Carthage game (Give up a first down on 4th and infinity), the Coldspring game in '11 where they ran it right up the middle ALL NIGHT, and of course the Huffman game in '04...I don't think any of those teams where better than us, pretty evenly matched, and we should have won. Chalk up Navasota and Wimberley to being all around the better teams. We will see if we can close the deal this year, I sure hope we can do it! Ill tell you one thing, ill be yelling pretty loud this Friday night in Baytown for my Stangs!!!

The Wimberley game really sticks out to me. I can honestly say that game was the first I have ever seen the Mustangs being dominated. That team was flawless when it came to execution. Well, maybe not flawless but dang near. That loss wasn't so bad because everyone knew they were going to win state after they beat us.