West Column: Mid County Madness has soared to new heights

Michele

I think that not at least mentioning it is pretty lame.

The BE could easily mention the trophy and bowl and never say anything about who paid for the trophy.

All I will say is this could have been done. Putting our name with trophy, while greatly appreciated to those who do and did, was not a forced issue to anyone. TV stations did from time to time to give kudos but it was not every time deal and nobody at The News ever complained.

Not surprised the BE didn't cover it. Anyone who has lived in Mid-County all of their life knows that the BE doesn't cover Ned/PNG sports teams very much. It's one of the main reasons we stopped subscribing to them years ago.

Zaleon and Berry do an outstanding job of covering ALL MidCounty sports, your comments were true in the past

All I will say is this could have been done. Putting our name with trophy, while greatly appreciated to those who do and did, was not a forced issue to anyone. TV stations did from time to time to give kudos but it was not every time deal and nobody at The News ever complained.

Did you read West's scathing comments? Nobody complained?

Zaleon and Berry do an outstanding job of covering ALL MidCounty sports, your comments were true in the past

Agreed...Avi even swung by our tailgate at about 5:00 taking pictures and chatted for a few minutes...seemed like a good guy...have also seen him posting pictures from practices as well. My whole point was that is Wal-Mart going to plug something that is sponsored my Target just because it was a good idea on Target's part?...hell no. You can't expect someone you compete with in the grand scheme of things to promote you in any way shape or form. And FWIW Avi did tweet a picture of the cover of the program which had both the trophy and "Bum Phillips Bowl" on it

Agreed...Avi even swung by our tailgate at about 5:00 taking pictures and chatted for a few minutes...seemed like a good guy...have also seen him posting pictures from practices as well. My whole point was that is Wal-Mart going to plug something that is sponsored my Target just because it was a good idea on Target's part?...hell no. You can't expect someone you compete with in the grand scheme of things to promote you in any way shape or form. And FWIW Avi did tweet a picture of the cover of the program which had both the trophy and "Bum Phillips Bowl" on it

That is nonsense. The game is now called the Bum Phillips Bowl with the appropriate trophy. How long are they going to ignore it out of spite? I have mentioned the trophy several times and have never mentioned the PA News until this thread. 

It is a news story and will continue to be. We aren't talking about two competing store chains trying to sell the same product. No one is going to attend MCM or stay away from it because the PA News bought the trophy and in fact I would venture to guess that about 90% of the people that know about the trophy have absolutely no clue that the PA News is even involved.  I checked the television media and they all listed the Bum Phillips trophy on their newscasts and websites and never mentioned the PA News. They didn't have to "plug" another media competitor (and did not), they only had to mention the trophy and the significance of it. 

I suppose that the BE couldn't figure that out. 

I'll take your word on it, bc I DO follow both of them on twitter, and they (especially Avi) covers Ned bball very well. I haven't picked up a BE in years, but then again, I (like most people) don't read newspapers very often anyway. Unfortunately for them (newspapers), most people find it easier to get their news from social media and/or the Internet.

That is nonsense. The game is now called the Bum Phillips Bowl with the appropriate trophy. How long are they going to ignore it out of spite? I have mentioned the trophy several times and have never mentioned the PA News until this thread.

It is a news story and will continue to be. We aren't talking about two competing store chains trying to sell the same product. No one is going to attend MCM or stay away from it because the PA News bought the trophy and in fact I would venture to guess that about 90% of the people that know about the trophy have absolutely no clue that the PA News is even involved. I checked the television media and they all listed the Bum Phillips trophy on their newscasts and websites and never mentioned the PA News. They didn't have to "plug" another media competitor (and did not), they only had to mention the trophy and the significance of it.

I suppose that the BE couldn't figure that out.

But they do both sell the same product. Listen I'm not saying that the BE was in the wrong for not advertising it as the Bum Phillips Bowl because they have to do what best for the interest of their business...if they thought that avoiding that term was best then that's thier OPINION...my issue was I though it was tacky for Bob West to take a shot at them for it...he works for the PA News...he shouldn't care what the BE has to say about it...

Don't remember the exact words, but I remember Avi tweeting that he was focusing on the teams and the community. No problems with that. Isn't that what its about?

The Bum Phillips aspect was to add another dimension. This being the first year, it kinda took over, and that's fine, but it IS about the players and the towns.

I enjoyed the coverage from the PA News and Beaumont Enterprise.

I will say this about the BE, I think they cover as well as anyone. They actually had two reporters at the MCM game. That does not happen in any other game.

As for them not mentioning the Bum Phillips Bowl trophy, I can understand somewhat on why they did not but I thought it could have been mentioned once or twice. This was the first year for the trophy and it honors one of the all time greats. For this year, it should be the in the forefront of this game.

Also, I have never, ever seen an article or column in the BE chastising, ridiculing or criticizing another local paper but it seems Mr. Bob West makes a habit of calling out other local media. I think that shows lack of professionalism.

You have to face the facts, all of these people are in the business to sell period. Today controversy sells more than any warm fuzzy story so Bob and all the BE folks know this. Bob West has done a lot for local sports and as of late the BE crew has finally figured out that the whole world doesn't revolve around Thomas Road and real people live else where. So take it for what it is, if they wrote to please me or you no one else would want to read it.

But they do both sell the same product. Listen I'm not saying that the BE was in the wrong for not advertising it as the Bum Phillips Bowl because they have to do what best for the interest of their business...if they thought that avoiding that term was best then that's thier OPINION...my issue was I though it was tacky for Bob West to take a shot at them for it...he works for the PA News...he shouldn't care what the BE has to say about it...

Ole Bob acting like a horse's butt who would of thought?   LOL.   He used to be as negative as he could on MC sports, I think he just doesn't have a choice now.